ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Desoxyn
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Desoxyn methamphetamine hydrochloride (also known as desoxyephedrine)

Old 04-03-12, 10:53 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice
Re: The Holy Grail? -Desoxyn Journal

yeah the holy grail is in debate. It's quite the historic piece of work. Oh you guys talking about meds again? LMAO
NTIDntid (08-06-13)
Old 04-18-12, 10:30 AM

Dagamus(NM) is on a distinguished road

This thread was worth registering just to share my experiences.

I was diagnosed with add as a kid and used methylphenidate for several years. Parents divorced and I stopped seeing doctors at 10 and shortly afterwards went on to do poorly in school and get into lots of legal trouble. Discovered meth and enjoyed using it. I didn't like doing large amounts like my friends, I preferred very small amounts. Anyways, since my use was illicit I was exposed to many other substances one of which was heroin. This ruined my life for about 7 years.

I got sobered up and went to college and had no difficulties. I started working and continued to go to college part time and still had no problems even when working 70 hours+ and taking at least 6 credits.

Then I started teaching and noticed that I would get very distracted by my students chewing gum or tapping their feet. This distraction made me very angry and violent thoughts would pass through my mind. My anger bled into my personal life and I'm sure I was unpleasant to be around.

I decided to see a doc and try adderall some 21 years after previously taking add meds. The adderall worked as it was supposed to and I was able to teach without problems. I think my students like mr as they tell me so often.

Anyways, it was 15mgIR twice daily but I would always forget to take my afternoon dose until it was too late. Then went to 30mgIR in the morning it was horrible. Too strong in the AM and too little in the afternoon. Then I wet to 30mgSR once daily and that worked well but I found myself robotic and needing 10mg Valium upon getting home to be social with my wife and then needing Ambien to sleep. The morning fog was not nice so I cut back the Valium and Ambien but has issues sleeping.

This continued for about two years then I learned about desoxyn and asked my doc if I could take one each morning on weekends. She said okay. This was good as I didn't like the adderall feeling but would sleep all weekend if I didn't take it. Then one day she took my blood pressure and it was pretty high so I stopped taking anything for a few months. When I went back I asked for desoxyn only and it works much better than the adderall, however my blood pressure was still a bit elevated. I asked for clonidine 0.1mg once in the Koenig and once at night. I haven't taken any Valium and have only needed Ambien twice in the last two months.

My doc gives me a three month script of 125 desoxyn a month but I don't take that much. Usually about 10mg in the morning and that is it.

3 month script mail order costs me $80 for name brand and $10 for generic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dagamus(NM) For This Useful Post:
relxdd (06-24-12), tambourine-man (04-22-12)
Old 05-11-12, 11:50 AM
Jr Member

retupmock is on a distinguished road

I'm glad this thread is stickied. There's a wealth of information here for anyone considering Desoxyn as a treatment option.

Like T-man, I had to consider switching to Desoxyn due to the endemic Dexedrine shortage. I had tried methylphenidate, generic Adderall, Vyvanse, and generic Dexedrine. All three are great for focus, but the effects of each are different. My psychiatrist and I have a very good patient-doctor relationship; he always listens to my needs and discusses medications intelligently with me. I brought him the Lundbeck prescribing guide I found here, which has the information and side effects of Desoxyn. He had never prescribed it and had to look it up online, because he thought he'd read it was discontinued. In fact, it wasn't even in the new edition of the prescribing guide.

It's interesting and reassuring to see that others also have had similar side effects to medications. Methylphenidate was absolutely horrible. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy (ok, maybe I would). It felt like I had some dirty substance running through my body. So much anxiety and paranoia. Overwhelming dysphoria. This is really the only way I would describe methylphenidate. Dirty.

Adderall gave me good focus, but too much peripheral stimulation (namely accelerated heart rate and a LOT of anxiety).

Vyvanse was really a step in the right direction. It was much smoother, with much less peripheral stimulation. A few downsides were that it lasted too long for me, I didn't feel in control of dosing, and it was relatively expensive for me per month (tier 3 medication on my insurance vs. d,l-amphetamine salt combo which is tier 1; $75 co-pay vs. $10 co-pay.)

Thus, I switched to dextroamphetamine. This also had less peripheral stimulation, but, just like with vyvanse, I still had anxiety. I would sometimes take lorazepam if it got too bad, particularly when the medication was wearing off, but I do this very sparingly. I don't like taking a medication to handle the symptoms of another medication, if it can be avoided.

I've only just started taking generic Desoxyn, but so far, it's looking really good. I'm experiencing practically no peripheral stimulation, only mental stimulation. It's very calming, and I have practically no anxiety with it. Also, it affects my emotions less than Adderall or Dexedrine, which made them very blunted. Not only that, Adderall and Dexedrine made me socially reclusive in that i didn't want to talk to anybody, which is extremely unlike me as I'm usually VERY outgoing. Maybe this meant the medication was working, but I didn't like this effect at all.

I'm not looking for a medication to motivate me, since I naturally have a lot of motivation. I only want a medication that allows me to have control over my focus and concentration. Dexedrine, and especially Adderall, are probably more "pushy" in this regard, since they'll almost MAKE you do work. I don't want this. Some people do, and prefer this. Not me.

So far, Desoxyn appears to be very mild, and allows me to control my focus how I want to. I hope it continues to be this effective for me.

One final thing I want to say is that I'm angered by the hoops people have to jump through to attain this medication. Adderall, Vyvanse, Dexedrine, (and for many people, methylphenidate *shudder*), are just as abusable medications, if not more so. There is no reason people shouldn't be able to try Desoxyn if it means having less side effects. The ignorance surrounding Desoxyn is unbelievable. If a doctor refuses to prescribe Desoxyn, and the only reason he/she provides is, "it's meth!", while having no misgivings about prescribing d,l-amphetamine, I would seriously doubt that doctor's knowledge on stimulant medications. If a doctor hasn't heard of it, educate him/her. It's a patient's right to have access to a medication that could help him/her more than his/her current one. I'd be glad to hear more thoughts on the subject.
The Following User Says Thank You to retupmock For This Useful Post:
relxdd (06-24-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-12, 12:29 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,640 Times in 14,603 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

These are the same doctors that hand out oxycontin like its no big deal. OTE=retupmock;1300275]I'm glad this thread is stickied. There's a wealth of information here for anyone considering Desoxyn as a treatment option.

Like T-man, I had to consider switching to Desoxyn due to the endemic Dexedrine shortage. I had tried methylphenidate, generic Adderall, Vyvanse, and generic Dexedrine. All three are great for focus, but the effects of each are different. My psychiatrist and I have a very good patient-doctor relationship; he always listens to my needs and discusses medications intelligently with me. I brought him the Lundbeck prescribing guide I found here, which has the information and side effects of Desoxyn. He had never prescribed it and had to look it up online, because he thought he'd read it was discontinued. In fact, it wasn't even in the new edition of the prescribing guide.

It's interesting and reassuring to see that others also have had similar side effects to medications. Methylphenidate was absolutely horrible. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy (ok, maybe I would). It felt like I had some dirty substance running through my body. So much anxiety and paranoia. Overwhelming dysphoria. This is really the only way I would describe methylphenidate. Dirty.

Adderall gave me good focus, but too much peripheral stimulation (namely accelerated heart rate and a LOT of anxiety).

Vyvanse was really a step in the right direction. It was much smoother, with much less peripheral stimulation. A few downsides were that it lasted too long for me, I didn't feel in control of dosing, and it was relatively expensive for me per month (tier 3 medication on my insurance vs. d,l-amphetamine salt combo which is tier 1; $75 co-pay vs. $10 co-pay.)

Thus, I switched to dextroamphetamine. This also had less peripheral stimulation, but, just like with vyvanse, I still had anxiety. I would sometimes take lorazepam if it got too bad, particularly when the medication was wearing off, but I do this very sparingly. I don't like taking a medication to handle the symptoms of another medication, if it can be avoided.

I've only just started taking generic Desoxyn, but so far, it's looking really good. I'm experiencing practically no peripheral stimulation, only mental stimulation. It's very calming, and I have practically no anxiety with it. Also, it affects my emotions less than Adderall or Dexedrine, which made them very blunted. Not only that, Adderall and Dexedrine made me socially reclusive in that i didn't want to talk to anybody, which is extremely unlike me as I'm usually VERY outgoing. Maybe this meant the medication was working, but I didn't like this effect at all.

I'm not looking for a medication to motivate me, since I naturally have a lot of motivation. I only want a medication that allows me to have control over my focus and concentration. Dexedrine, and especially Adderall, are probably more "pushy" in this regard, since they'll almost MAKE you do work. I don't want this. Some people do, and prefer this. Not me.

So far, Desoxyn appears to be very mild, and allows me to control my focus how I want to. I hope it continues to be this effective for me.

One final thing I want to say is that I'm angered by the hoops people have to jump through to attain this medication. Adderall, Vyvanse, Dexedrine, (and for many people, methylphenidate *shudder*), are just as abusable medications, if not more so. There is no reason people shouldn't be able to try Desoxyn if it means having less side effects. The ignorance surrounding Desoxyn is unbelievable. If a doctor refuses to prescribe Desoxyn, and the only reason he/she provides is, "it's meth!", while having no misgivings about prescribing d,l-amphetamine, I would seriously doubt that doctor's knowledge on stimulant medications. If a doctor hasn't heard of it, educate him/her. It's a patient's right to have access to a medication that could help him/her more than his/her current one. I'd be glad to hear more thoughts on the subject.[/quote]

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
curxxx (03-26-13)
Old 07-12-12, 12:12 AM

JamalJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagamus(NM) View Post
This thread was worth registering just to share my experiences.

I was diagnosed with add as a kid and used methylphenidate for several years. Parents divorced and I stopped seeing doctors at 10 and shortly afterwards went on to do poorly in school and get into lots of legal trouble. Discovered meth and enjoyed using it. I didn't like doing large amounts like my friends, I preferred very small amounts. Anyways, since my use was illicit I was exposed to many other substances one of which was heroin. This ruined my life for about 7 years.

I got sobered up and went to college and had no difficulties. I started working and continued to go to college part time and still had no problems even when working 70 hours+ and taking at least 6 credits.

Then I started teaching and noticed that I would get very distracted by my students chewing gum or tapping their feet.
Thats one crazy story man.
Old 03-17-13, 03:50 PM

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

How come this isn't stickied anymore?

RXed:
Pristiq, 50mg (AM)

Adderall, 20mg 2x daily
Lyrica, 150mg 3x daily
Xanax, .5mg 3x daily

Remeron, 30mg (PM)
Seroquel, 200mg (PM)
Old 07-01-13, 05:45 AM

Lordsuperman is on a distinguished road
Re: Switching to Desoxyn

Yes, that first "eclectic" wave via Adderall is NOT to be had (not in the same extreme anyways) with Desoxyn (M. HCI).
That's why the two combined in a dose are beautiful.
Old 07-01-13, 09:07 AM

Location: you carry your claim wherever you go - bob wier ACE
Thanked 1,467 Times in 923 Posts
Blanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant future

i'm going to have my pdoc give me a trial - my insurance covers it as does my pdoc write it

i'll give it a try and see if it's better than dex ir for getting motivated to go out and socialize as the Dex at the moment and since i've been on it is only good for turning me into a 'work machine' with no desire to socialize, meh.

~ Sir Winston Churchill
Old 07-01-13, 09:35 AM

Thanked 6,469 Times in 3,088 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanched Dubois View Post
i'm going to have my pdoc give me a trial - my insurance covers it as does my pdoc write it

i'll give it a try and see if it's better than dex ir for getting motivated to go out and socialize as the Dex at the moment and since i've been on it is only good for turning me into a 'work machine' with no desire to socialize, meh.
The motivational feeling doesn't last with any stimulant, regardless of how powerful it is. You'll always adjust to it in the end.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
collegewriter (07-02-13), Tantalus (12-28-13)
Old 07-01-13, 09:41 AM

Blanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant future

I also know that in my case I have no motivation because all i'm doing is working and advocating and doing things I don't like so of course i have no motivation - it's the ADHD.

I'm ok with retreating, I worked my entire life since i was 16 - i don't even have a problem with any of 'it' but this house thing has been the most emo thing i've ever had to handle on my own and getting the attorney was the best thing i could have done because it forced my son's school to buck up and helped me get bank to forgive over 20k in arrears since i almost died in that house.

I'm seeking a renter now and it's so stressful - I probably wouldn't go out and socialize if i didn't have adhd at this point because i wouldn't be a very positive force at all - i'm just kinda in defrost mode. You're right, Fraser, but everyone has different med reactions - i was so clean with no meds in me that everything is too strong. I adjust down in my intake because of this but thanks for the input.

~ Sir Winston Churchill
Old 07-02-13, 03:40 PM
Jr Member

collegewriter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanched Dubois View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
The motivational feeling doesn't last with any stimulant, regardless of how powerful it is. You'll always adjust to it in the end.
Fraser is spot on.

Desoxyn as compared to other traditional stimulants, such as Adderall, Dexedrine, Ritalin, etc., appears to have the least "motivational feeling(s)".

Relating my own experience, Desoxyn does nothing to motivate me. It only allows me to stay on topic and suppress REM sleep during the day (I have a pathological sleep disorder). This is perfect because Ritalin and Adderall made me an anxious mess.

Blanched I think you're simply in a stressful spot in life right. I know if I were living in your shoes I'd feel the same way as you. Desoxyn could be great for you, but I wouldn't go in expecting it to be a miracle cure.
The Following User Says Thank You to collegewriter For This Useful Post:
namazu (07-02-13)
Old 07-09-13, 04:53 PM
Contributor

FocusPocus10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegewriter View Post
Fraser is spot on.

Desoxyn as compared to other traditional stimulants, such as Adderall, Dexedrine, Ritalin, etc., appears to have the least "motivational feeling(s)".

Relating my own experience, Desoxyn does nothing to motivate me. It only allows me to stay on topic and suppress REM sleep during the day (I have a pathological sleep disorder). This is perfect because Ritalin and Adderall made me an anxious mess.

Blanched I think you're simply in a stressful spot in life right. I know if I were living in your shoes I'd feel the same way as you. Desoxyn could be great for you, but I wouldn't go in expecting it to be a miracle cure.
Pretty much have to agree. I like the norepinephrine kick in the nuts to get going, and this has even less of a boost than dex. Frankly, desoxyn ("meth") put me to sleep. Don't expect too much unless you're a hyper SOB who can't sit still on 200mg of Dex. Then maybe you can try this product to get within a more reasonable dosage, otherwise you will surely be let down. It sucks being inattentive type, because it seems like these drugs are all made to get kids to shut up more than they intend to help adults be productive.
Old 07-09-13, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusPocus10 View Post
Pretty much have to agree. I like the norepinephrine kick in the nuts to get going, and this has even less of a boost than dex. Frankly, desoxyn ("meth") put me to sleep. Don't expect too much unless you're a hyper SOB who can't sit still on 200mg of Dex. Then maybe you can try this product to get within a more reasonable dosage, otherwise you will surely be let down. It sucks being inattentive type, because it seems like these drugs are all made to get kids to shut up more than they intend to help adults be productive.
Oh yeah i agree - the meds serve a purpose for a time - therapy...resolution. Right now just one less thing to attend to that's 'serious' would be just swell to relieve my stress level.

It's something ADHD'rs are always attending to though - stress. We all learn different coping strategies. It's the amount of 'stuff' to sift through and the 'errors' both made by myself or others that can be a result of 'forgetting' to tend to something that needs prodding or tending to..so when no longer a 'working person' and waiting on surgery i may have to have i'm told if i want to be safe from becoming paralysed - it's a new system devised.

Learning curves are especially difficult and living with a depressed angry person on your own with a virtual only outlet is rough no doubt AND i dig deep so i know it's on me. Meds and the Dr's only allow a space....it's what i choose to fill it with that counts and whom i allow in my life and why.

Waiting on renter returning agreement with deposit. Not holding breath and relieved at same time

NEXT

~ Sir Winston Churchill
Old 07-10-13, 10:05 PM

Stelios369 is on a distinguished road
Re: The Holy Grail? -Desoxyn(Help Choosing an Alternative)

YES!!! In my opinion Desoxyn is indeed the Holy Grail of all ADD/ADHD medications.

I understand why some people and/or doctors freak out a bit at the fact that Desoxyn is Rx methamphetamine. Yes, it can be abused. However, so can just about anything. Let's cut all the crap . . . all the ******** and moaning about it technically being "legal meth."

I've been on 10mg of Desoxyn, 3 times per day, for more than 10 years. That's 180, 5mg tablets per month which costs almost $1,000 without insurance ($50 with BC/BS CareFirst, $220 with MagnaCare). In total - 0.900 grams! Less than one gram! I'm sure there are ways to extract the methamphetamine from all the inactive ingredients, but what a waste of time!!! If someone really wants meth they can buy a gram on the street for $50 bucks.

I was diagnosed with ADD in the 10th grade. To put it in better words, I was first prescribed Ritalin in 10th grade. (5mg 3x/day) I can't even believe how much my life turned around after that. I actually went to class; payed attention; participated in life; stopped getting in trouble; and started to set goals. Sounds kinda' basic, but that was all new to me then. I don't want to praise myself anymore, but I did a complete 180 when I began the Ritalin.
The only downside to Ritalin was "The Crash." Headaches, irritability, loss of appetite, etc... Ralph from the Simpsons said it best when asked how he felt on his new ADD medicine, ". . . . I feel Happy . . . AND ANGRY!!!!"

I tried all the basic ADD medications. Ritalin, Concerta, Adderall, Dexedrine, and Focalin. DESOXYN IS THE ONLY ADD MEDICATION WITHOUT THAT HORRIBLE CRASH FEELING!!! I'm not gonna B.S. you. It doesn't just feel like I'm taking a much needed vitamin like I've heard some people claim. It's still a stimulant medication. You need to drink lots of water or you'll completely lose your appetite, develop insomnia, of feel the jitters. However, these side effects are minimal compared to other ADD meds.

I do have a question that I'd really appreciate someone chiming in on. I recently changed medical insurance with my new job. My co-pay each month now is $220 for Desoxyn. I would eat the cost if I had the money, but I don't anymore. Can anybody recommend a similar alternative to Desoxyn? Is there anything as smooth as Desoxyn in terms of taking effect and then wearing off? I appreciate "non-stimulant" suggestions, however, that's not what I'm looking for right now. The "pick-up" gets the engine running properly. I'm also open to financial suggestions (ie Rx help from Social Services).
Old 07-11-13, 09:15 AM
Jr Member

collegewriter is on a distinguished road
Re: The Holy Grail? -Desoxyn(Help Choosing an Alternative)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios369 View Post
YES!!! In my opinion Desoxyn is indeed the Holy Grail of all ADD/ADHD medications.

I understand why some people and/or doctors freak out a bit at the fact that Desoxyn is Rx methamphetamine. Yes, it can be abused. However, so can just about anything. Let's cut all the crap . . . all the ******** and moaning about it technically being "legal meth."

I've been on 10mg of Desoxyn, 3 times per day, for more than 10 years. That's 180, 5mg tablets per month which costs almost $1,000 without insurance ($50 with BC/BS CareFirst, $220 with MagnaCare). In total - 0.900 grams! Less than one gram! I'm sure there are ways to extract the methamphetamine from all the inactive ingredients, but what a waste of time!!! If someone really wants meth they can buy a gram on the street for $50 bucks.

I was diagnosed with ADD in the 10th grade. To put it in better words, I was first prescribed Ritalin in 10th grade. (5mg 3x/day) I can't even believe how much my life turned around after that. I actually went to class; payed attention; participated in life; stopped getting in trouble; and started to set goals. Sounds kinda' basic, but that was all new to me then. I don't want to praise myself anymore, but I did a complete 180 when I began the Ritalin.
The only downside to Ritalin was "The Crash." Headaches, irritability, loss of appetite, etc... Ralph from the Simpsons said it best when asked how he felt on his new ADD medicine, ". . . . I feel Happy . . . AND ANGRY!!!!"

I tried all the basic ADD medications. Ritalin, Concerta, Adderall, Dexedrine, and Focalin. DESOXYN IS THE ONLY ADD MEDICATION WITHOUT THAT HORRIBLE CRASH FEELING!!! I'm not gonna B.S. you. It doesn't just feel like I'm taking a much needed vitamin like I've heard some people claim. It's still a stimulant medication. You need to drink lots of water or you'll completely lose your appetite, develop insomnia, of feel the jitters. However, these side effects are minimal compared to other ADD meds.

I do have a question that I'd really appreciate someone chiming in on. I recently changed medical insurance with my new job. My co-pay each month now is $220 for Desoxyn. I would eat the cost if I had the money, but I don't anymore. Can anybody recommend a similar alternative to Desoxyn? Is there anything as smooth as Desoxyn in terms of taking effect and then wearing off? I appreciate "non-stimulant" suggestions, however, that's not what I'm looking for right now. The "pick-up" gets the engine running properly. I'm also open to financial suggestions (ie Rx help from Social Services).
In my experience the closest medication to Desoxyn, is Dexedrine. It's not nearly as good since it feels like Desoxyn but with magnified side-effects, but it is the closest in terms of effects that I have tried.