ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-18, 07:20 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,353 Times in 13,987 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
What will it take? Food addiction!

I feel so ashamed for starting the millionth thread on this problem but I'm just not getting a handle on it. Just had a box of brownies. I'm feeling sick but this isn't the exception. This is every freaking day.

I've put on about 4kg in the last few weeks and I've just had a freaking box of brownies. What am I doing? More importantly what should I do now?

I always thought quitting smoking was the most difficult thing I've ever done but here I'm not even able to start quitting.

Seriously. What should I do?

I better start reading up on how to manage type two diabetes. What knows what else.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Pilgrim (01-12-18), psychopathetic (01-15-18)
Old 01-05-18, 07:22 AM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What will it take? Food addiction!

I could start smoking again. That would solve this food problem for sure.
Old 01-05-18, 08:58 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,792 Times in 8,903 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

Sorry I keep answering each with the same info, but I feel my experiences came from a similar place of desperation, albeit different circumstances, so I feel drawn to share each time.

I didn't change a damn thing until I landed in the ER facing organ removal from a very painful gall bladder attack (right shoulder, shoulder blade area, front right side rib cage area, nausea, and feeling like I couldn't breathe, couldn't sit up, lie down, or stand comfortably).

I was miserable as f*** prior to that, always sick with some kind of ailment (colds, flu, bronchitis, IBS, nervous stomach, seasonal allergies, tummy bugs, insomnia, etc., etc.), and practically bedridden from pain and inflammation that I could no longer shake...although I managed to keep my organs, lose significant weight, and feel better than I have in a long damn time, I still have long-term damage done by my previous choices, along with the years of sexual/physical abuse I endured both as a child and adult, that I'll be dealing with the rest of my life that serves as my best motivators to keep making kinder choices.

Food and drink used to be my escape and my so-called comfort....until it wasn't...and I was finally able to learn why/how I had created a lifetime's worth of damage...now it's my best tool, a.k.a, my best fuel.

Wish I had a smoother, simpler, and more pleasant pain-free transitional story to share...but I never gently or gracefully ease into the most helpful scenes I've discovered along the way.

Cigarettes, crank, alcohol, coke, and other various substances were much easier to give up than food, albeit they were their own flavor of hell to get through.

One must eat/drink to nurture themselves and stay alive...three-ish times a day...so we've been taught/conditioned...and it's hard to find a store/eatery that sells ONLY cleaner/healthier options...so you'll always be exposed whether you want to be or not.

Not a requirement when it comes to street drugs, prescription drugs (most), OTC drugs, cigs, and alcohol, so it isn't necessary to keep having similar substances in your home when you're truly trying to quit.

It all came down to having even sh***ier and even more painfully extreme circumstances taking place for me to finally do something different in hopes of getting a different outcome.

May your turning point be a less harsh and more kind one.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
DeClutter (01-05-18), Fuzzy12 (01-05-18), Little Missy (01-05-18), moth2flame (01-27-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-18, 11:53 AM

Thanked 14,557 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I feel so ashamed for starting the millionth thread on this problem but I'm just not getting a handle on it. Just had a box of brownies. I'm feeling sick but this isn't the exception. This is every freaking day.

I've put on about 4kg in the last few weeks and I've just had a freaking box of brownies. What am I doing? More importantly what should I do now?

I always thought quitting smoking was the most difficult thing I've ever done but here I'm not even able to start quitting.

Seriously. What should I do?
Talk to your doctor, about this specifically, and more generally, about your resumption of treatment for ADHD...because that has the potential for benefit both specifically and generally.

Quote:
I better start reading up on how to manage type two diabetes. What knows what else.
The first thing you need to learn to do in the management of type 2 diabetes is to measure and control what, and how much, you put in your mouth as it regards carbohydrates.

Given that, you’d be in a grave situation right now were you to be diagnosed as such.

And the addition of adipose tissue weight, especially abdominal/thoracic and interstitial, will result in the fastest progression of insulin resistance and metabolic dysfunction leading to the eventual presentation of diabetes.

Of course, by that point, you are already at much greater risk for cardio- and cerebrovascular events, not to mention all the little things like yeast infections, slow-healing wounds, neuropathy, gastrointestinal issues, nerve pain, autonomic dysfunction, loss of eyesight, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Seriously...talk to your doctor...get back on the Dex...for you, for hubby, for Fuzzette.

Food addiction and metabolic cycles leading to craving and binging, with all its associated emotional component is no joke, and you may indeed need help to change your behavior.

And yes, it needs to change. Talk to your doctor, and do not delay.

You may not believe it, but you are playing with fire.

Talk to your doctor.

Best Wishes,
Ian
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
br3akingchains (02-05-18), Fuzzy12 (01-05-18), Little Missy (01-05-18)
Old 01-05-18, 12:58 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,355 Times in 782 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Hi Fuzz, Let me point out that I have trouble differentiating between someone that is just venting and needs someone else to listen and be supportive versus someone who identifies a problem(s) and needs help addressing THAT problem(s). I'm assuming the latter here. If the former accept this hug...*hugs*

When did you quit smoking and how much did you smoke in a day. Also, you gave birth w/in the last year with your first child iirc. Change in the work situation? What are you taking for your ADHD symptoms and how well is it addressing them?

I am going to get to the point and leave out the long personal anecdotes that I believe may be pertinent. For some people, cigarettes can be the best thing to help you address stressors. (They were for me.) In your case w/o the smokes and add-in all of the recent changes, you may have more responsibilities than you can currently meet. This in-turn may be making your symptoms worse and causing new symptoms to appear. This in-turn reduces your ability to address your responsibilities which in-turn.....you get the picture a spiral. In any case you may need help figuring out whether your responsibilities are too high or there are new symptoms of something else showing up. Hubby may be the first step, but I am thinking Priest, Rabbi, Reverend, or Doc. HTH, -Tom

PS Keep in mind that if the cigarettes are able to address your problem it is because they are a med. My opinion is that as far as meds go there are others that are just as good or better than cigarettes w/o the nasty side-effects. Same goes for brownies.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
DeClutter (01-05-18), Fuzzy12 (01-05-18), Little Missy (01-05-18)
Old 01-05-18, 01:04 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,588 Times in 15,090 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Vyvanse is also prescribed for binge eating disorder.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (01-05-18), Little Missy (01-05-18)
Old 01-05-18, 01:07 PM

Thanked 27,109 Times in 13,166 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Fuzzy, perhaps (no, not even "perhaps") - you should see a Doctor, and maybe also a nutritionist; it seems you've developed an addiction that's really become more than a question of "willpower" .There may be some medical issue behind this and certainly, long term health risks
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-05-18), Fuzzy12 (01-05-18), Little Missy (01-05-18)
Old 01-05-18, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unmanagable View Post
Sorry I keep answering each with the same info, but I feel my experiences came from a similar place of desperation, albeit different circumstances, so I feel drawn to share each time.

I didn't change a damn thing until I landed in the ER facing organ removal from a very painful gall bladder attack (right shoulder, shoulder blade area, front right side rib cage area, nausea, and feeling like I couldn't breathe, couldn't sit up, lie down, or stand comfortably).

I was miserable as f*** prior to that, always sick with some kind of ailment (colds, flu, bronchitis, IBS, nervous stomach, seasonal allergies, tummy bugs, insomnia, etc., etc.), and practically bedridden from pain and inflammation that I could no longer shake...although I managed to keep my organs, lose significant weight, and feel better than I have in a long damn time, I still have long-term damage done by my previous choices, along with the years of sexual/physical abuse I endured both as a child and adult, that I'll be dealing with the rest of my life that serves as my best motivators to keep making kinder choices.

Food and drink used to be my escape and my so-called comfort....until it wasn't...and I was finally able to learn why/how I had created a lifetime's worth of damage...now it's my best tool, a.k.a, my best fuel.

Wish I had a smoother, simpler, and more pleasant pain-free transitional story to share...but I never gently or gracefully ease into the most helpful scenes I've discovered along the way.

Cigarettes, crank, alcohol, coke, and other various substances were much easier to give up than food, albeit they were their own flavor of hell to get through.

One must eat/drink to nurture themselves and stay alive...three-ish times a day...so we've been taught/conditioned...and it's hard to find a store/eatery that sells ONLY cleaner/healthier options...so you'll always be exposed whether you want to be or not.

Not a requirement when it comes to street drugs, prescription drugs (most), OTC drugs, cigs, and alcohol, so it isn't necessary to keep having similar substances in your home when you're truly trying to quit.

It all came down to having even sh***ier and even more painfully extreme circumstances taking place for me to finally do something different in hopes of getting a different outcome.

May your turning point be a less harsh and more kind one.
Don't apologise. I appreciate your inputs. I just don't know how to avoid getting to the same emergrncy state as you did. I'm not even sure iclukd change when faced with medicalk crisis.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (01-05-18)
Old 01-05-18, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
Talk to your doctor, about this specifically, and more generally, about your resumption of treatment for ADHD...because that has the potential for benefit both specifically and generally.

The first thing you need to learn to do in the management of type 2 diabetes is to measure and control what, and how much, you put in your mouth as it regards carbohydrates.

Given that, you’d be in a grave situation right now were you to be diagnosed as such.

And the addition of adipose tissue weight, especially abdominal/thoracic and interstitial, will result in the fastest progression of insulin resistance and metabolic dysfunction leading to the eventual presentation of diabetes.

Of course, by that point, you are already at much greater risk for cardio- and cerebrovascular events, not to mention all the little things like yeast infections, slow-healing wounds, neuropathy, gastrointestinal issues, nerve pain, autonomic dysfunction, loss of eyesight, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Seriously...talk to your doctor...get back on the Dex...for you, for hubby, for Fuzzette.

Food addiction and metabolic cycles leading to craving and binging, with all its associated emotional component is no joke, and you may indeed need help to change your behavior.

And yes, it needs to change. Talk to your doctor, and do not delay.

You may not believe it, but you are playing with fire.

Talk to your doctor.

Best Wishes,
Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
Fuzzy, perhaps (no, not even "perhaps") - you should see a Doctor, and maybe also a nutritionist; it seems you've developed an addiction that's really become more than a question of "willpower" .There may be some medical issue behind this and certainly, long term health risks
I probably should get external help. I just can't imagine asking my GP. I doubt he'd understand. i havent see my psychiatrists in 2 years now but I honestly don't think they'd be interested.
Old 01-05-18, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nut View Post
Hi Fuzz, Let me point out that I have trouble differentiating between someone that is just venting and needs someone else to listen and be supportive versus someone who identifies a problem(s) and needs help addressing THAT problem(s). I'm assuming the latter here. If the former accept this hug...*hugs*

When did you quit smoking and how much did you smoke in a day. Also, you gave birth w/in the last year with your first child iirc. Change in the work situation? What are you taking for your ADHD symptoms and how well is it addressing them?

I am going to get to the point and leave out the long personal anecdotes that I believe may be pertinent. For some people, cigarettes can be the best thing to help you address stressors. (They were for me.) In your case w/o the smokes and add-in all of the recent changes, you may have more responsibilities than you can currently meet. This in-turn may be making your symptoms worse and causing new symptoms to appear. This in-turn reduces your ability to address your responsibilities which in-turn.....you get the picture a spiral. In any case you may need help figuring out whether your responsibilities are too high or there are new symptoms of something else showing up. Hubby may be the first step, but I am thinking Priest, Rabbi, Reverend, or Doc. HTH, -Tom

PS Keep in mind that if the cigarettes are able to address your problem it is because they are a med. My opinion is that as far as meds go there are others that are just as good or better than cigarettes w/o the nasty side-effects. Same goes for brownies.
It's nice to see you tom. Hope you've been good!!

I need help. Thanks for the hugs though. I quit smoking in summer of 2015 and I used to smoke about half pack. Sometimes more though rarely on the weekends. I'm going back to work in a few weeks. Not back. It's a new job. fairly different. Im finally leaving academia.

I'm not taking any meds. I know they'd solve this prbl m but I don't want to take meds right now and for the foreseeable future. I also don't want to start smoking again heavenly and wonderful as it is though....

What do you mean by symptoms of somethimg else showing up? Dementia? I don't know if my symptoms are worse. I've got tons on my mind. I'm trying to convince myself again I don't have ADHD.

I dont know.There has to be a way todo this without anyone else involved.
Old 01-05-18, 10:21 PM

Thanked 21,515 Times in 11,542 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

You are most certainly not a defeatist.

No defeatism.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-06-18)
Old 01-06-18, 12:13 AM

aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Old 01-12-18, 11:58 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,355 Times in 782 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Quote:
It's nice to see you tom. Hope you've been good!!

I need help. Thanks for the hugs though. I quit smoking in summer of 2015 and I used to smoke about half pack. Sometimes more though rarely on the weekends. I'm going back to work in a few weeks. Not back. It's a new job. fairly different. Im finally leaving academia.

I'm not taking any meds. I know they'd solve this prbl m but I don't want to take meds right now and for the foreseeable future. I also don't want to start smoking again heavenly and wonderful as it is though....

What do you mean by symptoms of somethimg else showing up? Dementia? I don't know if my symptoms are worse. I've got tons on my mind. I'm trying to convince myself again I don't have ADHD.

I dont know.There has to be a way todo this without anyone else involved.
I edited your OP to help me reply. In trying to clarify my OP, I may have gone completely off-target.

It is nice to "see" you too, Fuzz. I have been well and pls accept my wishes for a Happy New Year.

Not focused on your overeating as an isolated problem, but more as a symptom or self-medication. My thinking was it may be a way for you to deal w/ unresolved/too much stress. Adding in the changes you have recently gone through, maybe you have more stress/responsibilities than you can address. Over the past couple of years you have gone through some big changes and are embarking on more changes(first child, transition from working to stay-at home, quit smoking, going back to work, spending less time w/ your child...). Change causes some stress and some of your changes can cause quite a bit of it. Untreated ADHD symptoms can add-in quite a bit of stress to your daily life on a continuous basis. Under conditions like this, some people may start developing symptoms of say Depression and your other symptoms for say ADHD may worsen. This in-turn may reduce your ability to address your responsibilities which in-turn makes it worse. Snowball rolling downhill....

Under situations such as above, you may have more responsibilities than you can manage and can't see it is an underlying problem that needs to be addressed and not a collection of individual problems/symptoms that needs to be addressed. If you think this may be an issue, this is where chatting w/ a Priest, Rabbi, Reverend, Doc may help w/ perspective.

I hope this clarified my OP, but TBH I am not sure. -Tom
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (01-13-18), Little Missy (01-12-18), Pilgrim (01-13-18)
Old 01-13-18, 02:09 PM

Thanked 1,860 Times in 1,180 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

Always good to catchup with you guys. Hope you are well.
Interesting topic that I’d like to add a couple of things. In regards to meds , it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but for me they work.
My brother is a bit anti drugs but he’s about 40 kgs overweight and smokes quite a bit.

It’s interesting cause he will never letup on ,’ this is the wrong way’.
Thing is I don’t want to be 40 Kgs overweight but managing ADD is a pain. I’ve had this conversation in my head many times.
To be honest I ‘REALLY’ get why some people go no tablets.
But how much more are you prepared to lose. Interesting topic
The Following User Says Thank You to Pilgrim For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (01-13-18)
Old 01-15-18, 01:28 AM

Quote:
My eating disorder were always linked with trying to get my life, or rather my emotions, under control. Funnily enough, stimulants helped me hugely. I wasn't strictly anorexic though but I always kept cycling between fasting, starving myself, being bulimic and binge eating. Once I started taking stimulants all that stopped and I was able to just eat normally. Or rather I stopped obsessing so much about food all the time. Having lost my appetite actually helped me because I could focus on just eating healthy.
You've known the answer all along.

Get medicated!

Cheers,
Ian
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (02-11-18), Little Missy (01-15-18), Pilgrim (01-27-18), stef (01-15-18)