ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 10-01-09, 06:40 PM
Contributor

river09 will become famous soon enough
what antidepressant works best with adderall?

I know I need an antidepressant, but haven't been on one for about 5 yrs cause the ones I tried before didn't seem to work.
I was on lexapro for a while but wasn't sure about it. Tried a couple others, one of which made me almost suicidal...can't remember right now.
I was hoping the adderall would help with both ADD and depression, but I fall into depression so easily. I have depressed more of my life than not...sad, huh?
I keep thinking its something I can control...like I've fallen into a neg. way of thinking which if I just tried hard enough, maybe I could change.

I don't want to be feel sad, discontent, unworthy anymore.
Anyway....never tried zoloft or paxil or many others.

Does wellbutrin with adderall work well for depression?
Old 10-01-09, 06:46 PM
ADDvanced Member

dviper785 is on a distinguished road
Re: what antidepressant works best with adderall?

Don't quote me on this cuz I'm not quite sure but Wellbutrin is the first one that comes to my mind that is commonly used in conjunction with Adderall.

EDIT: Yup, I only read a couple lines of your post before responding, which I see now.

Last edited by dviper785; 10-01-09 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: ADD'd
Old 10-02-09, 12:09 AM

albino226 is on a distinguished road

Wellbutrin, in addition to being an antidepressant, is also indicated for ADHD, so most docs will try this first because of the additive effects (they both affect norepi and dopamine, as opposed to the SSRIs that increase serotonin, which does nothing for the AD/HD).

That being said, there's plenty of other drugs out there (legal, I mean!) that you can try with the adderall. There's no crazy interactions that I know about with the normal serotonin antidepressants.

However, if you're taking anything for heart problems or asthma, make sure you talk to the doc first.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-09, 12:20 AM
Jr Member

esskay is on a distinguished road

I feel for you, because depression coupled with ADD is terrible. The symptoms of both seem to feed into each other, so you end up spiraling down and down and down. I too tried a bunch of different meds with not real positive effect. However, Wellbutrin was one that did work fairly well for my depression, however, I developed a seizure disorder, which I never had before, while I was on it. And, that is one of the major warnings about the drug. I still occasionally have them even tho I stopped the drug right after the first. Unfortunately it lowers the threshold for the attacks so other things that wouldn't normally cause the convulsions, do. Now I take Cymbalta, which is pretty effective for me, and adderall IR.

Of course, everyone is different, and you may be able to tolerate Wellbutrin quite well. I'd discuss it with your doc and/or pharmacist.

For what it's worth Cymbalta started having a positive effect on my mood within one week, which thrilled me, as so many other antidepressants take weeks, if not months, to kick it. That in itself can make one more depressed.

Hope this all helps,

Esskay
Old 10-02-09, 03:51 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

is cymbalta sedating . I hear it can really ease tension and make your adhd meds work like they used too.. I guess that is what happens when you go from anxious and not happy to finding the way back to happiness again.
Old 10-02-09, 05:47 PM
Contributor

river09 will become famous soon enough

Wow, sorry about the siezure disorder. How long have you been off wellbutrin? That is to scary;
Maybe I'll try cymbalta, but isn't that in the same class as lexapro...wonder if it will work?
Old 10-02-09, 05:55 PM
Contributor

really has a spectacular aura aboutreally has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood View Post
is cymbalta sedating . I hear it can really ease tension and make your adhd meds work like they used too.. I guess that is what happens when you go from anxious and not happy to finding the way back to happiness again.
Hey, Hollywood. Can't say much about Cymbalta. Celexa here. I think you may find my experience interesting anyhow.

When I first started Celexa, I found it so sedating that I'd be knocked out for ten or even twelve hours. Scheduled myself to take it before bed.

After a bit of time, I noticed that I was waking up earlier and earlier in the middle of the night. I couldn't go back to sleep. It didn't take me long to realize that the Celexa had changed to a very awakening stimulant. I shifted my pill to the morning and feel very little sedation, if at all.

The transition from sedation to stimulation took two weeks, but your mileage might vary. Celexa worked very quickly for me. If it takes a while before the depression/comorbid/etc starts going down, you might--in my very uninformed opinion--be sedated for a while.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to really For This Useful Post:
kiosk (10-03-09), Song of Mercy (10-02-09)
Old 10-03-09, 03:13 AM

mensa99 is on a distinguished road

It has to be Wellbutrin or better yet Aplenzin. But, I am skewed and I know that since Wellbutrin is the ONLY Anti-d that has ever worked for me. SSRIs, SNRIs - glad they work for others.

I just think if you have pleasure issues about life, try Wellbutrin or Aplenzin. If you have issues with never wanting to leave the house, wanting to always be alone, sitting in the dark, not eating and or wanting to maintain your previous "schedule" in life - then try a SNRI.

If that is still not good for you, then try a SSRI as the last option. I must say though, I am just thinking in my own way about this and not specifically on scientific data/studies.

Better yet, try keeping a journal and or note taking system that works for you even if it is just once a week. You will be amazed at what you think and feel on a given day, week and or month which I feel provides a wonderful gauge to determine continuation or discontinuation of any anti-d that you are trying. Helps with memory issues as well! Well Wishes - Mensa99
Old 10-03-09, 09:49 AM
Jr Member

Zosimos will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by really View Post
Hey, Hollywood. Can't say much about Cymbalta. Celexa here. I think you may find my experience interesting anyhow.

When I first started Celexa, I found it so sedating that I'd be knocked out for ten or even twelve hours. Scheduled myself to take it before bed.

After a bit of time, I noticed that I was waking up earlier and earlier in the middle of the night. I couldn't go back to sleep. It didn't take me long to realize that the Celexa had changed to a very awakening stimulant. I shifted my pill to the morning and feel very little sedation, if at all.

The transition from sedation to stimulation took two weeks, but your mileage might vary. Celexa worked very quickly for me. If it takes a while before the depression/comorbid/etc starts going down, you might--in my very uninformed opinion--be sedated for a while.
I'm also taking Celexa. I've always taken my dose at night since it initially made me very drowsy. It took quite awhile longer to work for me (6-8 weeks) and I didn't experience much benefit at 10 mg, which is what I was started at. I'm now taking 30 mg, which also took some time to adjust to, but is helping with my symptoms.

Most people who take Celexa require several weeks (6-8 weeks) before any improvement is registered. In some cases, the medication might make things worse before making them better. That was certainly the case for me, and I even experienced some mental fogginess and decrease in motivation. Now that I've adjusted to my dose I no longer have those issues, but it does take time and patience.
Old 10-03-09, 10:12 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

Huh very interesting, I figured it may take a month or two. I am not certain as to what area I fall into . Basically I cannot stand my job and it has isolated me from everything that I know , my job is not normal and neither are the workers here it has isolated me to a point of extreme frustration yet I still have much faith and hope for myself. For example let me bring you up to speed, I was a college athlete, a straight a student , a baseball draft choice and then after my baseball career was over and I graduated from college my mom passed and I went to work for my dad , a company where my sister works as well. Since I've been there nobody has even attempted to talk to me normally at work being helful or trying to help me grow as a person or in business. My dad is part owner and speaks to nobody all day and during the 5 years since college that I've been here I get to work and have had no job detail or instruction on how to go about my day, I learned through trial and error, yet this is my family and it takes its toll on you when a father doesn't even speak to you or try to be supportive or communicative in any sort of way. It's strange and it stripped me for awhile of my goodwill. This is why I consider taking cymbalta now, I am confident in my skills and wellbutrin I feel has helped me and my focus is pretty good at the present time. I just think maybe a small boost would give me the temporary confidence I need to get out of this world of alienation and live the life that I once had. It's like crap being rubbed in your face every day when you work for family and they don't even speak to you? I wasn't even a bad egg or black sheep , I was popular in school, got good grades and a college grad and college athlete. What the hell is going on here!
The Following User Says Thank You to hollywood For This Useful Post:
mentalfloss (08-30-15)
Old 11-30-17, 09:24 PM

OLB1994 is on a distinguished road

I don't know if you have found one that works for you yet or not, but all I can say is that I am very ADD inattentive, have been on adderall since 2011 and I went on 100mg of zoloft (sertraline) in fall of 2015 to help with my anxiety (was never depressed before, just had very bad anxiety that would make it difficult to focus on tasks because of how overwhelming the anxiety about what other things also needed to be accomplished, etc.) but the zoloft made me entirely depressed to the point that i was basically non functional. I would only get out of bed when i had to go to class, i was having to take absurdly high amounts of adderall just to stay awake during the day, I was constantly in a fog/had difficulty processing the most simple things, I had no emotion (good or bad) to the point that i was practically a hollow zombie, I had no sense of urgency or ability to register the importance of things, and I had no motivation despite having to take incredibly high amounts of adderall every day (between 80-120mg daily even though I was prescribed 50mg daily at the time). In terms of my personal life, I had so much anxiety about the most basic social interactions that I would let my phone die all weekend long so i could sleep and hide out alone in my apartment so my friends couldnt get in touch with me and try to make me hang out with them. Socialization was a tremendous chore and I ruined many friendships as a result. My depression on zoloft was so severe that after a year and a half, my parents eventually picked up on what was going on and made me drop out of law school to come home and recover at home with them. However, as soon as I weaned off the zoloft, i was back to my old self in terms of personality within a few weeks and my depression went away more every day as I weaned off of it. However, it has taken me a few months of living at home with my parents to be able to be fully functional again to the level that I would be able to hold down a 9-5 and I don't see myself being able to return back to law school for at least another semester. While I understand my experience with zoloft is likely an extreme case, I still found it necessary to give my zoloft and adderall caveat and I hope this helps!
The Following User Says Thank You to OLB1994 For This Useful Post:
Exuberantfrost (12-04-17)
Old 12-07-17, 09:36 PM
ADDvanced Member

Snoopy10 will become famous soon enough

I'm trying Lexapro again, but for my anxiety disorder (and also hoping it helps with my migraines). I take 10mg Lexapro and 10mg Adderall IR 3x/day.

So far so good although I haven't given it enough time, nothing negative is happening. One thing though, I can't take any SSRI without also taking Adderall for my ADHD. I've had a long history with SSRIs (alone, not with other meds), all not good. They just make my ADHD worse for some reason. So I am making sure if I do not take my Adderall for some reason (for example, recently, I was sick and didn't take it for a week) to pay attention to what I am doing/how I am acting.

Remember everyone is different but keep trying, I always say!
Old 12-09-17, 07:04 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,808 Times in 13,545 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Cymbalta saved my life but its an SNRI.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 01-13-18, 11:11 AM

Anbuurty is on a distinguished road

I use straterra
Old 01-14-18, 11:40 AM
ADDvanced Member

Snoopy10 will become famous soon enough

I think Strattera is an ADHD drug versus an anti depressant? Or am I mixing that up.

I'm doing well on the Lexapro. (I posted another thread too on the subject) with Adderall.