ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Science in the Media
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Science in the Media This forum is for articles and stories of scientific importance; open discussion is encouraged

Old 11-29-11, 08:31 PM

SirSleepsAlot is on a distinguished road
ADHD/PI unofficial (SCT) & Parkinson's Disease

I take a considerable amount of adderall (60mg) for my age and weight 150lbs 18 years old. I have been told over and over how amphetamines increase the risk for Parkinson's but I am starting to reconsider that after really researching it.

I have been doing a bunch of research on Parkinson's after seeing a few similarities between my grandpa's treatment (who has Parkinson's) and my ADHD/PI treatment after I had taken some L-Dopa that a kid in my math class used to study. The L-Dopa I found was a Parkinson's treatment yet it worked very well on me.

I found that a study on mice with amphetamines and Parkinson's resulted in the reversal of Parkinson's. I also found that Parkinson's was a disease caused by a lack of dopa-mine. My dad is very similar to me but he not medicated (he has taken my adderall before 10mg didn't even affect him) and from what he tells me my grandpa was the same way when he was young. I know that amphetamines have been shown as a cause of Parkinson's but what if Parkinson's is similar to ADHD and amphetamines are beneficial to those who need it and incredibly bad to those who don't.

So what I am beginning to think is that ADHD/PI may be a precursor to Parkinson's. The initial symptoms of Parkinson's Disease almost describe me and the ADHD/PI (SCT) diagnosis word for word.

Me my dad and my grandpa are all the same way. Grandpa is in his 70's & has Parkinson's. Dad may be developing it and I am worried about him late 40's. I am 18 the first to be medicated after I crashed a car and the world has changed dramatically for me. Is this just a coincidence or is there something to investigate?

SCT is Slow Cognitive Tempo approximately 50-30% of ADHD/PI people have it and it is an unofficial diagnosis, yet SCT symptoms are almost all completely opposite of the other ADHD forms.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC491901/

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...-symptoms.html

http://parkinsons.about.com/od/signs...arly_signs.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sluggish_cognitive_tempo

If only we existed as a category instead of a sub-type of a AD/HD Inattentive.
The Following User Says Thank You to SirSleepsAlot For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (11-29-11)
Old 11-29-11, 10:28 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,316 Times in 642 Posts
Hyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant futureHyperman87 has a brilliant future
Re: ADHD/PI unofficial (SCT) & Parkinson's Disease

I think your on to something. I feel the same way about the issue.
Old 11-29-11, 11:06 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,167 Times in 553 Posts
selita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud of

It's possible. You should talk to your doctor about it. L-dopa has some very serious side effects and should only be used with a doctor's supervision.

Tyrosine is the amino acid precursor to L-dopa... it can be taken as a supplement but also exists in most high-protein foods. Protein seems to make a noticeable difference in the effectiveness of stimulants.

Parkinson's is a progressive degeneration of the ability to create dopamine in the brain, while ADHD (at least some forms) is a non-progressive relative insensitivity to dopamine and norepinephrine.

Parkinson's is usually idiopathic but some forms are genetic. You could have genetic testing done if you think it runs in your family.
Old 11-30-11, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selita View Post
It's possible. You should talk to your doctor about it. L-dopa has some very serious side effects and should only be used with a doctor's supervision.

Tyrosine is the amino acid precursor to L-dopa... it can be taken as a supplement but also exists in most high-protein foods. Protein seems to make a noticeable difference in the effectiveness of stimulants.
I am not worried about the side effect of L dopa because I am already on 60mg of adderall + 200mg of provigil daily and I have taken up to 140mg of adderall in a single day without any real problems. I have been a milk and meat eater since I was a kid I had no idea till a few months ago.

Quote:
Parkinson's is a progressive degeneration of the ability to create dopamine in the brain, while ADHD (at least some forms) is a non-progressive relative insensitivity to dopamine and norepinephrine.
What I find very interesting is that Autism along with most forms of ADHD tend to be consistent with Alzheimer but very little testing has been done on the sub type ADHD Inattentive and even less has been done on the possible sub type of ADHD Inattentive which only makes up 30-50% of that population.

But here are some similarities -
Parkinson's Symptoms: Tremors, balance, lack of cognitive function
Non movement symptoms: Excessive daytime sleepiness, lack of motivation, inattention, REM sleep problems (tend to wake up often), depression/anxiety

ADHD-PI(SCT) symptoms: Lack of cognitive function, spacey, tired, anxiety/depression, troubles sleeping, lack of motivation, seem like they are lazy or on drugs

1-1.5% of people will have Parkinson's by the age of 70.
1-1.5% of people have ADHD-PI(SCT)

people with ADHD-PI(SCT) tend to abuse substances such as cocaine/meth as self medicating
cocaine/meth abusers tend to develop Parkinson's

These are the things I can think of off the top of my head but some of these symptoms are shockingly similar

Quote:
Parkinson's is usually idiopathic but some forms are genetic. You could have genetic testing done if you think it runs in your family.
Poor college kid with no time. I will one day though.

Old 12-01-11, 08:36 AM

whatsthebuzz is on a distinguished road

Wow ...you really might be on to something there. I always thought I fit the profile of SCT to a T. and one of the things I noticed about my ADHD-PI is that its actually getting worse as I grow older . Almost like a progressive degenerative disorder.

but as selita said not all forms of Parkinson's are genetic. you may very well develop later even if genetic testing proves false. If you're on health insurance and suggested it to your doctor , health insurance may offer to pay for the testing.
Old 12-01-11, 09:47 AM
Forum Guru

KronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to behold

It will eventually be proven that Alzheimers and Parkinsons are influenced by ADHD. I.E if you have ADHD you have a greater chance of having Parkinsons or Alzheimers. I have no facts to back this up but I believe it to be true from all the research I have done on all three conditions. One of my grandparents had Parkinsons one had Schizophrenia and two others had Alzheimers.
Old 12-01-11, 12:44 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,659 Times in 819 Posts
K-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond reputeK-Funk has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed,it really does seem to make inuitive sense that dopamine related issues could degenerate into something more severe. I've got a great grandfather who had severe Alzheimer's and by all accounts he was forgetful/absentminded/impulsive his whole life. Honestly has me a little concerned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KronarTheBlack View Post
It will eventually be proven that Alzheimers and Parkinsons are influenced by ADHD. I.E if you have ADHD you have a greater chance of having Parkinsons or Alzheimers. I have no facts to back this up but I believe it to be true from all the research I have done on all three conditions. One of my grandparents had Parkinsons one had Schizophrenia and two others had Alzheimers.

~ Krishnamurti

Attention wandered, I left with it.....

~Helmet

Old 12-01-11, 02:46 PM

I think one of the biggest problems with linking the disorders a direct result of the ADHD classifications. 9% of the population is thought to have ADHD but 1.5% of the population (30-50% of the PI group) is thought to be SCT, therefore that only leaves 7.5% with hyperactive symptoms. If you look at the SCT side you will find similarities but if you look at the hyperactive side you will find very few links to Parkinson's and more links to autism, schizophrenia, and Alzheimer's.

The SCT side of ADHD is overlooked and under researched very few people understand the differences between different types of ADHD.

Dopamine is one of the most important chemicals in the brain and it baffles me when I see neurologist overlook disorders that could very well be the begging to some of the most mysterious diseases/disorders.

I have also noticed that my symptoms have worsened with age.