ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-18, 02:31 PM

Jakead123 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Trouble With Vyvanse

Hey, my name is Jake (aha my in my username) but lately I have been having trouble with sleeping on Vyvanse and I will be seeing my doctor soon. Does anyone know any drug/Vitamin I can ask him about. I have 17 and originally weighed 120 pounds but within 3 weeks I am now 112 pounds. I am not anorexic lmao I can assure all of you that. When I was a kid I was under weight by a lot. I am skipping school sometimes because of sleep although my grades are going up from high C's and low B's to High A's. I am wondering if I need another drug but I am scared that I will become dependent on any drug like Adderall where there is a high. Currently I do not get any sense of euphoria off of Vyvanse and overall can easily survive a day with being on it. I've been on 20 mg for 2 weeks and 30mgs for 2 weeks and will be switching to 40mg in 3 days. After 2 weeks of 40 mg I will see the doctor if I need a higher dosage or if I need another drug. Overall the drug is working and I am getting better habits but the side effects are screwing me over because I can barely function if I do not get sleep and I am loosing weight more and more. Please help!?!
Old 05-06-18, 06:06 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,569 Times in 1,204 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trouble With Vyvanse

This is an issue to present to your prescribing doctor. You want to mention the sleep issue and your fear of going on another drug.

You're jumping ahead worrying about the euphoria with Adderall. I take Adderall. I get zero euphoria ... If you get euphoria, you just lower your dosage. The Adderall addiction worry is also something you don't have to freak out about ... The people who get addicted tend to be folks not under doctor's care, using dosages that no doctor would ever prescribe.

Now, something seems strange to me about this prescheduled increase in medication. If you're having trouble sleeping on 30mg, then you don't want to go up to 40mg. It's that simple.

Now ... it often takes a few weeks for people's bodies to become accustomed to a medication ... that is, it often takes a few weeks for the side effects to decline. Your insomnia is a side effect. Your loss of appetite and weight loss is also a side effect ... and that can ease over time as well.

Usually what doctors will do is say start a patient on 20mg ... and hold there for a month or so ... a low dose gives our body time to get used to the medication. And for some people, the low dose is quite effective. So there's something a bit strange about this rush 30mg and then to 40mg.

So this is a process. Meaning, you don't solve this issue at one shot. We all go through periods of adjusting medications, getting used to them, working with side effects, etc.

The best advice I can give you ... and I've come full circle on this ... is to not think you have to resolve this or figure it out on your own. I've found the better path is simply to dump the symptoms back on the provider.

If your sleep problem and weight loss is really alarming, then you can call up the doctor and say you're having immediate problems. Most likely the doc will want to see you sooner rather than later. You report all the issues to the doctor (along with any positive effects) ... and then discuss with the doctor the next step. The doctor will come up with a plan ... and again, mention your fear of Adderall to the doctor ...

This is not all-or-nothing. The doctor will come up with some type of recommendation for treatment. Might be freezing the dose for a while. Might be going down to 20mg again ... to see if you can sleep on that dose ... and then perhaps moving up to a higher dosage later ... Or doctor might change meds.

I didn't like Adderall the first ADHD medication I went on ... Doc switched me to Concerta, which I loved ... now I'm back on Adderall and liking it quite a bit. But again, it's taken time for me to get the dosage with the best positive effect ... with the lowest insomnia effect.

Good luck. Dump all this on the doctor.

Tone
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
Jakead123 (05-08-18), LyrinMeow (05-08-18), PoppnNSailinMan (05-07-18), UndrwtrAthlete (07-02-18)
Old 05-08-18, 12:36 AM

Jakead123 is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much, I will dump all my info on my doctor on my appointment this week. I now realize that drugs work differently for different people and that I should find the best drug that has the least negative side effects and the best positive. I will tell my doctor about my thoughts about addiction and euphoria and hopefully I will get advice/a better perspective on how to think about these drugs.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-18, 05:37 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,946 Times in 14,764 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Do not worry about dependence. Dependence is not addiction. I am dependent on my bipolar and blood pressure meds as well as my night vision glasses.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 05-08-18, 01:56 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Insomnia and loss of appetite are relatively common side effects that might decrease with time and/or a lower dose. Or they might not ever go away for you. You should talk with your doctor to discuss what makes the most sense for you.
Old 05-08-18, 06:26 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold

I take 40-80 mg aderall a day. (Boo to the naysayers) On 20-40 I felt like the walking dead. I get 0 euphoric feelings. Not even heart palpitations that I had when starting the Concerta. And no plaguing feeling of impending doom (is this even a thing or was it just me?). Its actually calming to me. I can sleep through my peek dose time. And it has less side effects than the Ritalin I was taking.

Again YMMV. Everyone's body is different.

I always make it a rule to go in to my psychiatrists office prepared. With what they need to know, asking what I need to know, any med questions or changes I'm looking for, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to LyrinMeow For This Useful Post:
UndrwtrAthlete (07-02-18)
Old 05-09-18, 02:45 AM
Jr Member

hipsterdoofus is on a distinguished road

I had no appetite at all and slept poorly for the first 3-4 weeks on Vyvanse. Now that my body has adjusted, I sleep better than ever and my appetite has improved. I'd also recommend eating and drinking a glass of water every couple of hours; being vigilant about it really helps me to manage the side effects better. I agree with the other responses...make sure your doctor knows everything. Good luck!