ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-16-09, 09:19 PM
mctavish23 mctavish23 is offline
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 6,110
Thanks: 14,088
Thanked 10,315 Times in 3,244 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation
Supplements for the treatment of ADHD, Scientific Evidence/Research

There are no long term studies,published in mainstream, peer reviewed journals,

supporting any nutritional/dietary supplement as a clinical treatment for ADHD.

Everyone needs to eat a healthy diet, as well as get plenty of both excercise and rest.

Those can have a dramatic impact on the quality of a person's day to day life.

For now, those don't impact the treatment of ADHD.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
AbsentMindProf (03-03-11), firstdesserts (02-16-09), Imnapl (02-18-09), salleh (04-07-13)
  #2  
Old 02-17-09, 12:22 AM
reesah's Avatar
reesah reesah is offline
Forum Guru
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nw Us
Posts: 910
Thanks: 668
Thanked 581 Times in 329 Posts
reesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to all
Re: Supplements specifically for inattentive type?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctavish23 View Post
There are no long term studies,published in mainstream, peer reviewed journals,

supporting any nutritional/dietary supplement as a clinical treatment for ADHD.

Everyone needs to eat a healthy diet, as well as get plenty of both excercise and rest.

Those can have a dramatic impact on the quality of a person's day to day life.

For now, those don't impact the treatment of ADHD.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
So, none of these things are helpful for ADD? Or are they just not clinical treatments? And for those like me who don't really know the difference can you explain? I'm curious because I read so much about these things that may help with some one symptom or another, but know that medical help seems to treat all of them at once; I just don't know if that is what you mean or if you're saying none of these will help at all.
__________________
sunday morning I'm waking up,
can't even focus on a coffee cup
don't even know whose bed I'm in,
where do I start, where do I begin?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-17-09, 12:28 AM
stillfightin stillfightin is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 455
Thanks: 38
Thanked 77 Times in 59 Posts
stillfightin will become famous soon enough
Re: Supplements specifically for inattentive type?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reesah View Post
So, none of these things are helpful for ADD? Or are they just not clinical treatments? And for those like me who don't really know the difference can you explain? I'm curious because I read so much about these things that may help with some one symptom or another, but know that medical help seems to treat all of them at once; I just don't know if that is what you mean or if you're saying none of these will help at all.
He can't say they are not helpful for ADHD as many people on this forum will attest that supplements do help to an extent. He's saying there are no clinical studies on supplements for the treatment of ADHD. Visit the misc treatment section for more info.
__________________
Past: Adderall XR, Fish Oil, 5-HTP
Current: Focus Fast (01/09)
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stillfightin For This Useful Post:
reesah (02-17-09)
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 02-17-09, 12:48 AM
mctavish23 mctavish23 is offline
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 6,110
Thanks: 14,088
Thanked 10,315 Times in 3,244 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation
Re: Supplements specifically for inattentive type?

Helpful can be attributed to a sense of wellbeing or,in the case of Omega 3's, good for

your heart,etc.

"Helpful for ADHD" is synonymous with "treatment."

So the answer is still the same.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
reesah (02-17-09)
  #5  
Old 02-17-09, 01:44 AM
stillfightin stillfightin is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 455
Thanks: 38
Thanked 77 Times in 59 Posts
stillfightin will become famous soon enough
Re: Supplements specifically for inattentive type?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctavish23 View Post
Helpful can be attributed to a sense of wellbeing or,in the case of Omega 3's, good for

your heart,etc.

"Helpful for ADHD" is synonymous with "treatment."

So the answer is still the same.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
And because there is no peer reviewed study showing supplements do not help with ADHD, they should be discounted? I disagree... Every substance is naturally derived from herbs/vitamins/minerals. Supplements are that first step and pharma's isolate those properties and use chemistry to make them more potent.
__________________
Past: Adderall XR, Fish Oil, 5-HTP
Current: Focus Fast (01/09)
Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to stillfightin For This Useful Post:
bilbogates98 (03-03-09), bookwurm2 (02-17-09), DesertDave (08-02-10), doiadhd (05-11-10), dresser (01-27-13), emily848 (04-05-13), Jewelz81 (11-11-11), Tilly (02-21-09)
  #6  
Old 02-17-09, 02:08 AM
reesah's Avatar
reesah reesah is offline
Forum Guru
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nw Us
Posts: 910
Thanks: 668
Thanked 581 Times in 329 Posts
reesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to all
Re: Supplements specifically for inattentive type?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfightin View Post
And because there is no peer reviewed study showing supplements do not help with ADHD, they should be discounted? I disagree... Every substance is naturally derived from herbs/vitamins/minerals. Supplements are that first step and pharma's isolate those properties and use chemistry to make them more potent.
I think it means none of them are proven, so do not get your hopes up.
__________________
sunday morning I'm waking up,
can't even focus on a coffee cup
don't even know whose bed I'm in,
where do I start, where do I begin?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-17-09, 12:58 AM
reesah's Avatar
reesah reesah is offline
Forum Guru
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Nw Us
Posts: 910
Thanks: 668
Thanked 581 Times in 329 Posts
reesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to all
Re: Supplements specifically for inattentive type?

So none of them make any difference at all then, for ADD. That's what I was wondering.
__________________
sunday morning I'm waking up,
can't even focus on a coffee cup
don't even know whose bed I'm in,
where do I start, where do I begin?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-17-09, 02:17 AM
bookwurm2 bookwurm2 is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: usa
Posts: 232
Thanks: 63
Thanked 108 Times in 61 Posts
bookwurm2 has a spectacular aura aboutbookwurm2 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Supplements specifically for inattentive type?

"He's saying there are no clinical studies on supplements for the treatment of ADHD."

But there are such studies. There are double-blind randomized placebo-controlled studies on supplements for the treatment of ADHD (and published in reputable peer-reviewed journals) in which significantly statistic results were found. There is room for discussion over what the studies mean, but as a factual matter, some studies have been done.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bookwurm2 For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (05-11-10)
  #9  
Old 02-17-09, 02:53 PM
mctavish23 mctavish23 is offline
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 6,110
Thanks: 14,088
Thanked 10,315 Times in 3,244 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation
Re: Supplements specifically for inattentive type?

There's a distinct difference between accurately qouting the current literature and

discounting something.

I take pharmaceutical grade Omega's daily, as well as a multi-vitamin.

I also workout and eat a high protein diet,including shakes & bars.

Because of my work, where I have an ethical obligation to not only keep up with the

literature on all aspects of ADHD, as well as inform the families of the children I see

about what those data currently report, I'm all about accuracy of reporting.Period.


Bookwurm2, My references are


1) the US Surgeon General's Report on Mental Health ,Chapter 3 (Disorders of Infancy,Childhood &

Adolescence);

2) CASRC (Child & Adolescent Services Research Center) & Developmental Sciences Division of Chilren's Hospital & Health Center, San Diedo,2001;

3) CHADD " Facts Sheet #6 :Assessing Complementary and/or Controversial Intervetions";

4) Ingersoll,Barbara,and Goldstein,Sam. Attention Deficit Disorder and Learning Disabilities : Realities,Myths and Controversial Treatments. New York : Double Day,1993;

5) Barkley,Russell. ADHD and the Nature of Self-Control. New York: Guilford (1997);

6) Barkley, Russell. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder:A Handbook for Diagnosis and Treatment (3rd.Ed), New York,Guilford,2005;

7) The Clinical Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Treatment of ADHD, by the following

American Academies of :

a) Child & Adolescent Psychiatry

b) Family Physicians

c) Pediatrics

There are countless studies on nutritional interventions.

The problem is that they have NOT shown longitudinal validity & reliability.

I'll be glad to spell that out for you when I have more time.

The bottom line for me as someone with severe ADHD Combined type and who's also a

Licensed (Child & Adolescent) Psychologist with a specialty in ADHD, is that I'm not about to tell a parent they shoud use

supplements to treat ADHD.


THEY DON'T WORK.

Does that mean I'm against them? Hell No.

It means that, for right here, right now, in this place and time,

THEY DON'T WORK (as a substitute for meds).

That's what I mean by "Clinical Treatment."

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
AbsentMindProf (03-03-11), ars solus (11-28-12), clovislorax (07-04-12), Imnapl (02-22-11), LisaJW (07-14-11), Spacemaster (08-20-11)
  #10  
Old 02-17-09, 09:22 PM
mctavish23 mctavish23 is offline
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 6,110
Thanks: 14,088
Thanked 10,315 Times in 3,244 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation
Re: Supplements specifically for inattentive type?

My main concern is that individuals with ADHD and their families understand the true

nature of the disorder, as well as what works and what doesn't.

I don't apologize for qouting the research, as it isn't personal.

Unless you're prepared to ask your child's pediatrician and /or your primary care

physician, if you can substitute amino's and multivitamins in place of medication for

ADHD, then those data are accurate.

If it changes then I'll change with it.

In the mean time, I will continue to post in response to what works ( as a clinical treatment/in lieu of meds) and what doesn't.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (02-22-11)
  #11  
Old 02-17-09, 09:55 PM
FrazzleDazzle's Avatar
FrazzleDazzle FrazzleDazzle is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: DazzleLand, AZ
Posts: 4,221
Blog Entries: 12
Thanks: 938
Thanked 1,635 Times in 884 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of
Re: Supplements specifically for inattentive type?

Okay. I think we got it. If I want to find out what science says, I go to PubMed, as I have full access to articles. If I want to find out what people say, I come here to the forums, like the OP did.

Because science has not proven something doesn't mean it's been disproven and that individuals cannot and have not benefited from it. It merely means it has not been proven. In other words, lack of proof does not mean lack of efficacy.

As the OP stated they wanted to know others' experience what they found helpful in nutritional support, not to continue the ongoing debate if science has proven nutrition as a valid treatment for ADHD or not. That really belongs in the debate or science section. Maybe the mods can sort out this thread in respect for other innattentives looking for nutritional support.
__________________
I live in my own little world, but it's okay, they know me here.
PhotoGallery

Last edited by FrazzleDazzle; 02-17-09 at 10:06 PM..
Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to FrazzleDazzle For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (03-15-19), ajraccounts (07-21-10), darkangel999 (11-26-12), doiadhd (05-11-10), emily848 (04-05-13), Jewelz81 (11-11-11), Lunacie (01-25-10), stillfightin (02-17-09), Tilly (02-21-09), TJake (02-17-09)
  #12  
Old 04-07-09, 07:02 PM
FinallyAnswered's Avatar
FinallyAnswered FinallyAnswered is offline
Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sweet Home Alabama!!
Posts: 1,355
Thanks: 1,108
Thanked 1,469 Times in 641 Posts
FinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to behold
Re: Supplements specifically for inattentive type?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrazzleDazzle View Post
Okay. I think we got it. If I want to find out what science says, I go to PubMed, as I have full access to articles. If I want to find out what people say, I come here to the forums, like the OP did.

Because science has not proven something doesn't mean it's been disproven and that individuals cannot and have not benefited from it. It merely means it has not been proven. In other words, lack of proof does not mean lack of efficacy.

As the OP stated they wanted to know others' experience what they found helpful in nutritional support, not to continue the ongoing debate if science has proven nutrition as a valid treatment for ADHD or not. That really belongs in the debate or science section. Maybe the mods can sort out this thread in respect for other innattentives looking for nutritional support.
Exactly, Frazzle.....I thinks it's also important to note the difference in research between FDA approved medications and over the counter supplements. Because of the cost/profit ratio regarding supplements, the amount of research done on these pales in comparison to FDA approved drugs. No one is going to invest $800 million dollars to see if a supplement works when they can't control the sale of it. The money behind the drug companies allows them to "prove" to the FDA that their unique product works for a given condition and once approved, they control the sale rights for a given time period.

For me, I have stumbled upon a neat trick for my inattentiveness. This works wonders for me and allows me to take drug holidays without missing a beat. I use a combination of caffeine, 1000mg L-Tyrosine, and 1000mg Taurine to bridge the gap between my med days. This is basically
a "Red Bull" for much less money and works, in my opinion, MUCH better.

I would NOT recommend anyone take this in conjunction with their daily meds, but taken instead of your meds when on a "holiday" or when your script timing is a few days off.
__________________
"The camera only goes where the cameraman points it." Don't accept any one point of view as the absolute truth. Look OUTSIDE the narrow scope of the lens to find the whole truth!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FinallyAnswered For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (05-11-10)
  #13  
Old 11-11-11, 11:21 AM
Jewelz81 Jewelz81 is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 204
Thanks: 633
Thanked 124 Times in 72 Posts
Jewelz81 has a spectacular aura aboutJewelz81 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Supplements specifically for inattentive type?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyAnswered View Post
Exactly, Frazzle.....I thinks it's also important to note the difference in research between FDA approved medications and over the counter supplements. Because of the cost/profit ratio regarding supplements, the amount of research done on these pales in comparison to FDA approved drugs. No one is going to invest $800 million dollars to see if a supplement works when they can't control the sale of it. The money behind the drug companies allows them to "prove" to the FDA that their unique product works for a given condition and once approved, they control the sale rights for a given time period.

For me, I have stumbled upon a neat trick for my inattentiveness. This works wonders for me and allows me to take drug holidays without missing a beat. I use a combination of caffeine, 1000mg L-Tyrosine, and 1000mg Taurine to bridge the gap between my med days. This is basically
a "Red Bull" for much less money and works, in my opinion, MUCH better.

I would NOT recommend anyone take this in conjunction with their daily meds, but taken instead of your meds when on a "holiday" or when your script timing is a few days off.


How much caffeine do you consume? And how does that affect your sleep at night?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-17-09, 10:02 PM
bookwurm2 bookwurm2 is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: usa
Posts: 232
Thanks: 63
Thanked 108 Times in 61 Posts
bookwurm2 has a spectacular aura aboutbookwurm2 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Supplements specifically for inattentive type?

Robert,

Thanks again sharing your perspective with us and taking the time to put together the lengthy posts above. I am particularly interested in the section below that I have put in bold for emphasis.

"There are countless studies on nutritional interventions.
The problem is that they have NOT shown longitudinal validity & reliability.
I'll be glad to spell that out for you when I have more time."

The lack of "longitudinal validity & reliability" is something that you keep coming back to in this thread and in others. I believe it is really pivotal to what you are saying, so an understanding of what you mean by this is, in my opinion, crucial to understanding your post. So at some point, I hope you can take the time to share with us exactly what you mean by the words "longitudinal validity & reliability." I think I know what you mean, but I don't want to put words into your mouth. (If you mean, what I think you mean, I don't disagree with you on this statement, although the conclusion you draw from it is another matter.)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bookwurm2 For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (05-11-10), mctavish23 (02-17-09), TJake (02-17-09)
  #15  
Old 02-17-09, 10:13 PM
bookwurm2 bookwurm2 is offline
ADDvanced Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: usa
Posts: 232
Thanks: 63
Thanked 108 Times in 61 Posts
bookwurm2 has a spectacular aura aboutbookwurm2 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Supplements specifically for inattentive type?

Robert, after citing lack of "longitudinal validity & reliability" wrote, "THEY DON'T WORK."

Frazzledazzle responded, "Because science has not proven something doesn't mean it's been disproven and that individuals cannot and have not benefited from it. It merely means it has not been proven. In other words, lack of proof does not mean lack of efficacy."

In my opinion Frazzledazzle nailed it.

Rather then saying "they don't work" I think it would be more accurate to say something along the following lines: "The medical profession requires a high level of support for a treatment before it can be used. Although some studies have been done that indicate that certain supplements may be helpful for treating ADHD, they do not rise to the level of proof required by the medical profession. This does not mean that they do not work, only that at this time, not enough research has been completed for the medical profession to conclude, to their satisfaction (using their high standards), that these supplements are both safe (i.e. no dangerous side effects) and effective (i.e. they work)."
Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bookwurm2 For This Useful Post:
*KJ* (03-04-11), darkangel999 (11-26-12), emily848 (04-05-13), FrazzleDazzle (02-17-09), Jewelz81 (11-11-11), Lunacie (01-25-10), stillfightin (02-17-09), Tilly (02-21-09), TJake (02-17-09)
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinions on Dr. Daniel Amen's technique for adults with ADD? PinkPanther_04 Adult Diagnosis & Treatment 27 04-23-18 03:54 PM
Patricia Gilbert?(Scattered please take a look) anamari ADD Publications, Audio & Video Tapes 5 07-29-08 01:51 PM
Optimizing Treatment of ADHD from Adolescence Through Adulthood: An Expert Interview Scattered ADD News 3 10-01-06 12:26 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums