ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 05-31-16, 08:20 PM

Boudin55 is on a distinguished road
Just got diagnosed at age 28

I just got diagnosed with adhd. Its been really difficult over the last few years especially until I finally sought help. I was put on ritalin, started out at 5mg twice a day and now am up to 10mg twice a day but I don't think it's strong enough. I'm still having such a hard time. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it normal?
Also I'm pretty sure it makes me calmer but I'm not sure. Does it?
Old 06-01-16, 04:47 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Just got diagnosed at age 28

Which symptoms are controlled with the ritalin and which arent?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-01-16, 10:38 PM

I still have a hard time focusing when people talk. Like my mind wanders. And when I'm reading i have to re-read paragraphs because my mind wandered again.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-16, 04:41 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Well if any symptoms are controlled then at least you know its the right med but not the right dose. If none are then you should talk to your doctor about a different med.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-05-16, 01:30 AM
Jr Member

roxy1983 is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome! I am 32 f with ADHD and also have some sensory processing issues. I think I get what you mean. Is it like talking 1 to 1 you hear people fine, but by trouble hearing people talk in a busy place? For me it's like you hear all their voices overlapping at once? That's to do with sensory processing disorder or multisensory processing. So that's seperate to ADHD.

They would have put you on a short acting tablet to see how you respond to it. But 10mg twice a day is only tiny doses especially as the short acting wears off within a few hours.

I was lucky enough to be put onto the Long Acting right away, which is a sustained release throughout the day. You could ask your doc if you can try a slightly higher dosage.

Also, it won't magically 'fix' everything as such, just help with focus and doing tasks will become more manageable. Hope that helps, PM me if you need anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to roxy1983 For This Useful Post:
Tetrahedra (06-12-16)
Old 06-11-16, 07:40 AM

Thanks for your replies. It got upped to 20mg and it helped a lot but I think I need 30. Still having trouble reading without re reading paragraphs. Sigh.
Old 07-27-16, 09:52 PM
Jr Member

Grumpyoldlady is on a distinguished road

Just Diagnosed at 29. On Dexamphetamine 5mg 3 times a day. Only taken one dose and feel more alert and less fuzzy, no side effect yet but worried they might come later. Apparently Dex is better than ritalin?
Old 07-29-16, 11:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

maysarieltiff is on a distinguished road

Dextroamphetamine is a different drug than Ritalin. If I understand correctly, Ritalin is methylphenidate, and dextroamphetamine is the straight D-isomer of amphetamine. Different people respond differently to different medications.

My Dr. says dextroamphetamine is the best that I can get, but that is only because my gene testing says I will have a reduced therapeutic benefit from methylphenidate.

I have never had side effects from dex.
Old 07-29-16, 11:58 PM
ADDvanced Member

maysarieltiff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudin55 View Post
I still have a hard time focusing when people talk. Like my mind wanders. And when I'm reading i have to re-read paragraphs because my mind wandered again.
I am in the same boat with my current meds =(

Maybe a dose issue, maybe you need a different medication.
Old 08-02-16, 11:02 PM
Jr Member

dadtruth is on a distinguished road

Now this is strange my child was just diagnosed ADD and we are in the middle of dealing with that but reading this post i might have to get myself checked because if not catching paragraphs and wondering off when people are talking to you, i might be in the same shoes