ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 10-14-13, 05:22 PM

Brooke85 has a spectacular aura aboutBrooke85 has a spectacular aura about
PMS - Menstruation - B.O - Other Girl Stuff

Recently been diagnosed with ADD, just started taking Dexamphetamine.

I've been reading that ADD can affect PMS. I found this really interesting, as PMS changes my mood so much so, that family/friends can usually tell I have it, without being told. Sometimes they even know I have it, before I do. I get depressed, my anxiety is x10 worse, and I’m irritable, impatient, and just plain b!tchy at times.

I googled for more info, then read that ADD medication can increase period pain, flow, and the duration of a period.

Also, I've been reading that meds can cause bad breath, underarm odour, and odour in the 'downstairs' region. I haven't experienced this, but after reading about it, I'm now going to be paranoid, constantly checking that I don't stink.

I want to know if medication has caused changes to anyone’s PMS/period, how so?

How common is it for meds to cause body odour, and any advice to reduce/stop it from happening (excluding the obvious of keeping good hygiene).

Any other important girly advice, that a newly diagnosed/newly medicated girl, with not much ADD/med knowledge should know, would also be much appreciated.

B
The Following User Says Thank You to Brooke85 For This Useful Post:
Sunlovinlady (10-24-13)
Old 10-15-13, 06:34 AM
Contributor

Flia has disabled reputation
Re: PMS - Menstruation - B.O - Other Girl Stuff

All I know is that we are much more sensitive to hormones than others.
And that meds changes this sensitivity.
Old 10-15-13, 10:57 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,915 Times in 12,560 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read anything about the meds changing PMS symptoms, but I
know that changing hormones during the month can affect how well the
meds work. They are usually less effective for a few days each month, but
still better than non-medicated. Some doctors will okay a small stimulant
booster for those days.

The only reason I can think of for the meds to cause bad breath, would be
that they are very drying so if you're not drinking enough plain old water,
you could get bad breath.

I've read that Adderall can cause BO - but not that it makes period odor worse.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-16, 07:34 AM

sherrymeeks is on a distinguished road

That's it.
Old 08-31-16, 08:41 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrymeeks View Post
That's it.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (08-31-16), spamspambacon (08-31-16)
Old 08-31-16, 09:08 AM

Thanked 22,379 Times in 12,051 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, anybody remember when they called it The Curse?

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (08-31-16)
Old 08-31-16, 01:57 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Missy View Post
The worst one that the high school girls are saying is "rag". I'm on the rag, ragging" yuck. They also say stuff like "Im on my period".
How the F are you ever ON a period??`

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (08-31-16)
Old 08-31-16, 02:39 PM

Thanked 30,768 Times in 14,149 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I initially did get worse body odour and I sweated a lot more. Drinking tons of water helped the most. I also started carrying around a deo and perfume with me and wouldwipe my underarms at work with a wet cloth every once in a while.

After a while that particular side effect subsided.
Old 08-31-16, 04:11 PM
Jr Member

Delilah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Several friends refer to it as "shark week"

Since Mirena, I don't really get an actual period anymore (truly miraculous considering what it used to be like), so I can't speak to that particular aspect (and don't really remember pre-Mirena lol).

I too have found Adderall to be drying, and I tend to drink a lot more water when on it anyway. Being really well-hydrated can also help counteract a lot of those unpleasant odor issues regardless. I never really noticed a difference in B.O. or breath personally, but everyone's chemistries are different as well
The Following User Says Thank You to Delilah For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (08-31-16)
Old 08-31-16, 04:31 PM

Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I was one of The Hated. I only had a period once or twice a year for two days maybe.

Never bothered me!

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 08-31-16, 06:05 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was one of The Hated. I only had a period once or twice a year for two days maybe.

Never bothered me!
Ha! You are still one of the hated.

Everyone is so different. In my family we start our menses at age 9 or 10 and have crazy PMS.

I was really looking forward to menopause ... it simply couldn't be any worse than heavy flow, PMS and all that every 23 days. Yes, 23 day cycle.

Menopause was nothing. A few hot flashes, no night sweats, no crazies.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (08-31-16)
Old 08-31-16, 06:15 PM

LOVE THAT Luners!!

I started at 11. Honestly, I don't recall much.

Menopause was a breeze other than a couple of years of actually having a period every month. What a drag!!What was THAT all about?

Hot flashes, hell, I can get hot almost anywhere I go.

Never been a BO person except one pit after a rough match sometimes. OMG that was funny.

The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (08-31-16)
Old 08-31-16, 06:51 PM

People look at me like I'm really strange, but before I got organized enough to keep track of my cycle, I could tell when it was going to start because I began dropping nearly everything I picked up.

With menopause that dropped from happening 16 times a year to only 4 times a year.

I am several years post-menopause, no more hot flashes, but a couple of times a year I still get the "dropseys." Those damn hormones just won't quit.