ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 08-18-16, 10:54 PM

Jabbajaws71 is on a distinguished road
Smile 45 yrs old and newly diagnosed with ADD

I'm really glad these forum exist. It's difficult telling someone that you were recently diagnosed with ADD. All the details I told my doctor about my recall and dehavior led me to a Psychiatrist to be evaluated to see if I had ADD. Of course I went because I wanted to make sure I was fine but the diagnosis was truly enlightening. It helped explain some of the choices I've made. I've tried Stattera and now Concerta. I'm still searching for what works best for me and it's only been a few months. I figure since it takes me about 45mins to get to work why not listen to Audiobooks. I promise you I've listened to the same book about 6 times and still have to rewind to recall what they said. I'm sure there is a medication that will work wonderfully for me. Any suggestions?
Old 08-18-16, 11:35 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,793 Times in 8,904 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation
Re: 45 yrs old and newly diagnosed with ADD

It tends to pretty much be a trial and error scenario for each individual. Wishing you the best in finding your best healing grooves. Welcome.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
Old 08-19-16, 04:15 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbajaws71 View Post
I'm really glad these forum exist. It's difficult telling someone that you were recently diagnosed with ADD. All the details I told my doctor about my recall and dehavior led me to a Psychiatrist to be evaluated to see if I had ADD. Of course I went because I wanted to make sure I was fine but the diagnosis was truly enlightening. It helped explain some of the choices I've made. I've tried Stattera and now Concerta. I'm still searching for what works best for me and it's only been a few months. I figure since it takes me about 45mins to get to work why not listen to Audiobooks. I promise you I've listened to the same book about 6 times and still have to rewind to recall what they said. I'm sure there is a medication that will work wonderfully for me. Any suggestions?
Medication and treatment is very trial and error. There are no standard forms of treatment although medication is considered a "first line" treatment for adhd- along with IMO therapy.
I know that sometimes trying to force myself to make use of a certain amount of time in a certain way can be the wrong thing. Like you with driving to work- do you like and want to listen to books or were you just trying to use the time wisely?

I carried a watermelon?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-16, 10:56 AM
ADDvanced Member

Snoopy10 will become famous soon enough

Drugs helped me in the beginning but it took awhile for my brain to adjust. In the beginning the drugs quieted my brain so much that there was nothing there at all. Then I started to realize there were things happening around me that I never noticed before because of my internal chatter. Now I literally see the world in a different way. I would say that adjustment took about 9 months.

Keep trying!
The Following User Says Thank You to Snoopy10 For This Useful Post:
Magnolia23 (10-15-16)