ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 10-11-16, 03:00 PM
Contributor

julialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud of
"No One Believes You Have ADHD If You're A Girl" & "I Thought I Was Stupid"

these popped up on my facebook timeline the other day and i shared it with my mom

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/artic...f-youre-a-girl

Quote:
"Like many other women with ADHD, I had struggled silently for years with periods of depression, anxiety, and sensory overload," Joffe tells me over the phone. "I was misdiagnosed with depression and anxiety when I was 18, but [when I was 29] I took a trip to Ikea. You know how you have to walk through the entire store before you can get out? Well, I was in the store with my mom for a couple hours, and I just hit a point where it was sensory overload." Because people with ADHD don't have the same sensory gating mechanisms as people who are neurotypical, their brains don't automatically filter out extraneous information.
Quote:
Dr. Lara Honos-Webb, a psychologist who often writes about ADHD, says that in her practice one girl for every three boys comes in for an ADHD diagnosis. When girls go undiagnosed through adolescence, they often feel like their struggles in school and in life are due to personal failings. "Instead of getting help, girls end up conforming their behavior in certain ways to match society's expectations," says Joffe. When Joffe received a report card in the second grade with the note that she "needed to control her enthusiasm" all she saw was the message that she should shine less brightly.
and then this one:

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/artic...ether-festival

Quote:
"If I'd had a diagnosis in college, if I had known, college would have been 100 times different. I failed a class my first semester, and it completely shattered my self-esteem," Courtney said. "I thought I was stupid. I couldn't figure out this material. I would read the same page over and over again and not retain anything. It felt like there was a missing piece. People told me, 'You need to study harder!' But there was no one who studied harder than I did."
Quote:
That's why it's so difficult for millions of girls and women to receive accurate ADHD diagnoses, if any; not only can ADHD can look like depression, OCD, and anxiety disorders (and vice versa), but psychiatrists, parents, and educators are less likely to suspect that a well-behaved girl—let alone a high-achieving woman—could be struggling with a condition associated with boys who maintain gym-class-dodgeball levels of hyperactivity at all times.
Quote:
"Many of my clients were saying stuff about disorganization, but the women were also much more ashamed about it," Solden told me. "We started looking at the gender differences—not even so much in how they manifested, but how women felt about them, due to these culturally idealized roles. We had a feminist kind of perspective. It was really about what happens to women when they can't meet those expectations."

Expectations include, but are not limited to, remembering to make dinner, keeping track of the kids' homework, removing wet laundry from the machine before a week (or more) passes. Many women felt crushed when they couldn't perform these seemingly basic tasks, surrounding them in a cumbersome, unshakeable fog of shame. But because the idea that women could have ADHD wasn't mainstream, they had no framework to understand why they couldn't sit still during their kid's five-minute talent show set.
just wanted to share and maybe hear your thoughts!!! i love finding articles like these because they are so reaffirming and validating.

-neutral milk hotel
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to julialouise For This Useful Post:
avocado_girl (12-02-16), Dachshund (10-28-16), finallyfound10 (01-31-17), Little Missy (10-11-16), stef (10-11-16), Unmanagable (10-11-16)
Old 10-11-16, 04:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,491 Times in 13,309 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "No One Believes You Have ADHD If You're A Girl" & "I Thought I Was Stupid"

totally this:

"Many women felt crushed when they couldn't perform these seemingly basic tasks, surrounding them in a cumbersome, unshakeable fog of shame."
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (10-12-16), Carol (10-24-16), Dachshund (10-28-16), finallyfound10 (01-31-17), ginniebean (10-11-16), julialouise (10-11-16), Little Missy (10-11-16), Unmanagable (10-11-16)