ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-19, 04:45 PM

LeighWolf is on a distinguished road
Paralysis

I'd be willing to bet someone here has my answer.

What are some suggestions for getting out of paralysis?

(I am so glad I don't have to explain what I mean by this or why the typical answers-just do it!-set little goals-make a list-are not consistently helpful!)
The Following User Says Thank You to LeighWolf For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (04-06-19)
Old 01-26-19, 06:46 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,417 Times in 5,434 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paralysis

Depends on what you’re trying to start. If it’s something like classwork or housework, I set a timer for 30 minutes and (try to) work for those 30 mins. Especially for housework, knowing I have a break after 30 mins, and having the clock to race against can be pretty motivating if I’m in the right mood. And even if I’m not, sometimes that first 30 mins just gets me started on something.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
Andi (02-01-19), Lunacie (01-26-19)
Old 01-26-19, 07:31 PM

Catching up on loads of incomplete paperwork. I would much rather clean. That is one of my go-to procrastinations!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-19, 11:38 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,913 Times in 12,558 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighWolf View Post
Catching up on loads of incomplete paperwork. I would much rather clean. That is one of my go-to procrastinations!
The wonderful therapist my granddaughter has been working with for 11 years
makes a deal with her. If they work on a concern for 15 minutes, they she can
choose a game to play for 15 minutes. She is 17 and has ASD. So as TygerSan
suggests, perhaps 30 minutes of paperwork, and then 30 minutes of active work?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
LeighWolf (01-27-19), TygerSan (01-27-19)
Old 01-27-19, 05:52 AM

Thanked 27,493 Times in 13,309 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Do tiny steps, like set up a clear a space to work, take one of the papers out, get a pen, read part of the first page, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
LeighWolf (01-27-19)
Old 01-27-19, 12:28 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 16,344 Times in 7,818 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to suffer paralysis that’s usually caused by over analysis. Over thinking seems to be my catalyst for paralysis.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Andi (02-01-19), LeighWolf (01-27-19)
Old 01-27-19, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
I tend to suffer paralysis thatís usually caused by over analysis. Over thinking seems to be my catalyst for paralysis.
Definitely! I was working on a referral note and got sidetracked by a poorly worded item. So that led to looking up "affect" and noticing that various sources include more than others with it, which led to looking up those sources, which led to looking up what they included that was different and why, which led to...hours wasted. And no finished note. And ultimately, whatever finished product I put forth, it is just a darn referral note! Do I really think anyone is going to be critiquing that? I might as well write, "Hey, found this odd thing. Please check for x, y, z and any other thing you feel appropriate. Thanks."

I'm writing "don't over-analyze" on a piece of tape to put on my computer above the screen.
The Following User Says Thank You to LeighWolf For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (01-27-19)
Old 01-27-19, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
The wonderful therapist my granddaughter has been working with for 11 years
makes a deal with her. If they work on a concern for 15 minutes, they she can
choose a game to play for 15 minutes. She is 17 and has ASD. So as TygerSan
suggests, perhaps 30 minutes of paperwork, and then 30 minutes of active work?
I did this successfully for awhile using a visual timer thing. Timing play is more difficult. So I quit the tactic. It seems like every tactic eventually gets overcome somehow or no longer works. "Play" ended up being reading or following a concept down a rabbit hole. Maybe I need to re-establish play as play, or at least physical activity.

Does your granddaughter do this on her own at home, or is it only in therapy? Or only with another person to keep her on track?
Old 01-27-19, 03:51 PM

Thanked 4,165 Times in 2,150 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

When my paralysis was at it's absolute worse, say when applying for jobs cause I absolutely hate doing that and could never get myself to even start doing it, only one thing works.

A body double. Someone sitting there with me. They were either helping me find a job (i.e. they would search for jobs while I filled out applications) or they were doing paperwork of their own unrelated to my task.

For things that weren't as severe, working in an absolutely empty room (barring desk and chair) with white walls and no sound at all helped me tremendously for some reason. I think we are very sensitive to external stimulus so limiting it helped a lot. Actually, wearing industrial sound proofing headphones helped too. Some people listen to music and that helps them.

Don't have wifi turned on on your computer for tasks that don't require the internet.

For tasks that don't involve paperwork but say mindless, manual labor, singing helps me. Something to take the pain away while working basically.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
LeighWolf (01-28-19)
Old 02-01-19, 10:28 AM
ADDvanced Member

Daniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighWolf View Post
I'd be willing to bet someone here has my answer.

What are some suggestions for getting out of paralysis?

(I am so glad I don't have to explain what I mean by this or why the typical answers-just do it!-set little goals-make a list-are not consistently helpful!)
I'm guessing your "why" is not strong enough, so the little goals you are setting or lists you are making are not inspiring any real passion in you.

Before you figure out the "how", or how to get to where you want to go, you have to figure out where you want to go! Sit quietly, 15 minutes a day, and just listen to what your deepest desires and wants are and don't ignore them.

Once you know what you REALLY want, instead of what you THINK you want or what other people TELL you you want, you'll have actual motivation to do something besides watch the telly or loll in bed. Trust me, I've been there. I'm still there more often than I like to admit.

An honest and open accounting with yourself, on an ongoing basis, is always needed in life. And please don't give a f--- about what's "realistic" or what others want from or for you.

D.

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.

Last edited by Daniel1970; 02-01-19 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: typo
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel1970 For This Useful Post:
LeighWolf (02-03-19)
Old 02-01-19, 12:33 PM
Forummarm

Thanked 8,220 Times in 2,586 Posts
Andi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond reputeAndi has a reputation beyond repute

As I'm filled with dread right now to complete testing for our next release for work, my go-to is to find a stimulus that doesn't distract and helps me focus on my task. My go-to...loud music in my ears. Then I just jump and try to dive right in. My go-to is heavy metal. I can't hear the words because...come on. Are they saying words? Or some riveting classical music. Note this works for mundane tasks but I still struggle with what to use when I need to learn.

Everything I write is fully substantiated by my personal opinion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andi For This Useful Post:
Daniel1970 (02-01-19), LeighWolf (02-03-19)
Old 02-02-19, 05:23 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I call it procrastination paralysis and its the worst.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
kwalk (04-06-19), LeighWolf (02-03-19)
Old 02-03-19, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielGM1970 View Post
I'm guessing your "why" is not strong enough, so the little goals you are setting or lists you are making are not inspiring any real passion in you.

Before you figure out the "how", or how to get to where you want to go, you have to figure out where you want to go! Sit quietly, 15 minutes a day, and just listen to what your deepest desires and wants are and don't ignore them.

Once you know what you REALLY want, instead of what you THINK you want or what other people TELL you you want, you'll have actual motivation to do something besides watch the telly or loll in bed. Trust me, I've been there. I'm still there more often than I like to admit.

An honest and open accounting with yourself, on an ongoing basis, is always needed in life. And please don't give a f--- about what's "realistic" or what others want from or for you.

D.
I think my "why" is getting in the way. Is that possible? I want two things: 1. A well designed plan and 2. A precisely executed defense. And I really want both of those very badly. What I don't want is-just get it done. If someone brings up an odd symptom, tell them to make another appointment or just don't get into it. No time. Move on. Finish the visit. Finish the note. So I "waste" my visit time investigating and planning, and later pay the price of having to formulate a note that describes the whole thing.

OK, so that's being perfectionist. But it is almost embarrassing at this point to return to sloppy work. My notes used to be late and full of mistakes. Now they're late and well done.

Does that happen to people you think? I am able to read and retain more (ongoing study), focus on what people are saying more, and have more initiative. But I've ended up with more work because of it!

So I end up overwhelmed, mired in details and feeling like I should have improved on meds but maybe I didn't because if I did truly improve my work would be caught up. That's when the procrastination sets in. I feel like I am continually reading studies and textbooks because I am-it's so nice to not have to read things over and over. I can read new things too and it's great. But then the busywork piles up. I see that and see the new studies I've printed and guess which task I'm going to choose? And then I justify that choice by telling myself it's a worthy thing to do. I suppose it doesn't matter how "worthy" a task is if your job demands you don't indulge in it, huh?

Last edited by LeighWolf; 02-03-19 at 01:55 AM.. Reason: Did I miss the point?
Old 02-03-19, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi View Post
As I'm filled with dread right now to complete testing for our next release for work, my go-to is to find a stimulus that doesn't distract and helps me focus on my task. My go-to...loud music in my ears. Then I just jump and try to dive right in. My go-to is heavy metal. I can't hear the words because...come on. Are they saying words? Or some riveting classical music. Note this works for mundane tasks but I still struggle with what to use when I need to learn.
I tried Sabaton today and just stayed away from English. It really helped for about 10 minutes, but then I heard a few (Swedish) words very clearly and wondered what the song was about so it broke my stride. Those focus tones you can find online have sometimes worked for a bit, too, but they rapidly become irritating to me. Mozart's Requiem has worked for me before. I haven't used that in a while. Some parts of the Requiem aren't very conducive to learning, but I find most of it is. Would those be pieces you'd be interested in?
Old 02-13-19, 09:00 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Me, myself and I have great debates about what to do with time. I admit I am a hopeless bargainer. i will bargain with myself until the cows come home. I have managed to turn it into a somewhat helpful tool. So if I have a list of calls to make (I save up all the unsavory ones because I dread it) i will decide what time I can make the first call so lets say an office opens at 9. I would be foolish to think I would be ready to call at 9. So I set two reminders on my phone. One to remind me to start the first call at 10 and one at 945 to remind me that its almost 10. I set two alarms. One at 1020 to sort of prep me and then one at like 955 to break the avoidance tactic I am currently using. Then I make the call. If I have like 4 of them I will do one, set the timer for 10 minutes and then do another. Before I even dial I have my notebook and pen ready and sit at the table or desk.During the time that the timer is running or between alarms I do whatever I want. Its usually something on the internet. What has helped me a lot was getting my sleep schedule down and very rigid so I always wake up super early and have like 2 hours to tool around the internet all morning before I have to deal with getting anyone off to work or school. I used this technique for dishes. I HATE them and it didnt even matter that they were bad without a dishwasher- up until about 1.5 years ago they were bad even with the dishwasher. So I started by breaking it up into ridiculous baby steps. I would get up and put all the silverware into a pot or vessel with soapy water to soak. I'd wait a little the unload. Then I would wait a little and load (all the silverware had soaked and was in a pot so I bent over only once to load it all). I would run it and soak whatever items I had to wash by hand. Then in a little bit I would hand wash and let airdry a bit. Then dry and put away. When I first started this a load of dishes was like an hour process. Now Its not that long. I soak the silverware, unload the dishes- rinse and reload, add the silverware and run it. I still may have to let the big things soak and come back to it. A lot of times I will say " I really want to watch this but let me just do the dishes first". Now I have zero problem with dishes and its routine.

This is kind of lame sounding to some people. But if you knew me you would know that dishes and laundry are my most hated chores. Its kind of ridiculous that I had to turn it into a process like that and after doing it and realizing it wasn't that hard..well I feel kind of dumb. But that whole reminder/timer/break process works for many things in my life.

I carried a watermelon?