ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-09, 10:50 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,635 Times in 884 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of
Re: Supplements specifically for inattentive type?

I do a lot of work for a very large, very well-respected world-renown clinic who has established a CAM Department (Complementary and Alternative Medicine) for patients whom have found that evidence-based medicine has failed them and/or who wish other well-educated options from a group medical professionals specifically trained in these areas. I have truly learned the value of thinking outside the evidence-based medical practice box from the recommendations and philosophies of these open-minded practitioners. They do stay very true to the research and make recommendations based on that, but also heavily turn to anecdotal information from the medical community and from within their own practice and collaboration from their professional colleagues in advising their patients, because they know from experience that there is value for non-evidence-based medicine for many individuals.

They do actually advise something similar to what Bookwurm posted above. So, if I wanted only evidence-based medical advise, I would go see someone like McTavish (I say that with utmost respect), and if I wanted someone with an interest and expertise in CAM, I woud seek those physicians out.

It all depends on what you want, and the world is big enough for everyone.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FrazzleDazzle For This Useful Post:
darkangel999 (11-26-12), doiadhd (05-11-10), Jewelz81 (11-11-11)
Old 02-17-09, 11:00 PM

Thanked 10,315 Times in 3,244 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

I'm not trying to fight with any of you or anyone else.

I don't prescribe meds nor do I make specific recommendations.

That's a personal choice.

However, I do have a large library at my disposal and give numerous handouts.

Either way, I hang in there wth those kids and their familie's;irrespective of treatment

choices.

I'm a fierce advocate for these kids,which has gotten me into disagreements galore with

schools and /or other practitioners.

I also agree with the remarks about funding, as I think that's exactly right.

I've often said that I take away more than I bring to the FORUM,so thanks for the

feedback.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
ADDMagnet (04-19-09), doiadhd (05-11-10), Imnapl (02-18-09), Jewelz81 (11-11-11)
Old 02-18-09, 03:19 PM
ADDvanced Member

TJake will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctavish23 View Post
There are no long term studies,published in mainstream, peer reviewed journals, supporting any nutritional/dietary supplement as a clinical treatment for ADHD.
For now, those don't impact the treatment of ADHD.
Robert,
You might have some valid points that you are trying to convey but most of you intended message is lost when you make a statement like the one above.

I think most of the folks that are on the alts site are open to different points of view, but making some of these absolute statements do not help anyone. This is especially true when some folks here find supplements to be very beneficial. It might not be a treatment for you, but it is for them.

I don't remember anyone here suggesting that people should dump all their meds and get on supplements. I think meds can be good for some. Meds are useful for those who don't have any major side effects and are comfortable taking stimulants long term. For others supplements are a valid alternative.

Most folks here are just sharing their positive experiences with supplements. If it doesn't help some, they shouldn't use it. It's that simple. It doesn't particularly require a lengthy dissertation or research reports. It just requires common sense.

Other therapies/supplements that I've found helpful:

Working memory training (Cogmed): 7/08-8/08. See more
Brain Fitness Program by Posit Science: !!! excellent !!!
Learning Breakthrough Program: 7/07-4/08. See more

High EPA/DHA ratio Omega3's & Magnesium
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TJake For This Useful Post:
bilbogates98 (03-03-09), darkangel999 (11-26-12), doiadhd (05-11-10), Lunacie (01-25-10), reesah (02-19-09), stillfightin (02-18-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-09, 04:07 PM

Individual experiences are unique for that person and their circumstances.

No one can take that away.

Who is to say what is right or wrong for them?

I'm certainly not, anymore than a reporter "agrees" with the news.

Reporting something I know to be true doesn't imply judgement.

Quoting the research is nothing more than reporting what it says.

It isn't personal,it's data.

My concern is to provide up to date, accurate information .

What people do or don't do with it,is entirely up to them.

I would hope that most people would want as much information as possible,in order to

make informed decision's for themselves and their families.

IMO the connection between "helpful," "work(s)," and other statements of implied

efficacy, are explicitly connected with the science behind the disorder.

Research is definately slow.

However, it's always in flux.

ADHD is complicated neurobiological disorder.

The research behind the science is far from over.

In the time I've been here (FORUM), I believe,or at least hope, that I've been clear

about my motives.

No disrespect or deliberate difficulties are intended.

The exception would be the "it's not real" contingent,whom I have approached

like a middle linebacker.

Yesterday, I received a book in the mail that I ordered a couple of weeks ago.

It's entitled :

ADHD in Adults : What the Science Says.

by Russell Barkley, Kevin Muphy & Mariellen Fischer

Guilford Press (2008)

Chapter 11 is entitled : "Health,Lifestyle, Money Management, and Driving."

What I've read so far has been very interesting.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
doiadhd (05-11-10), FrazzleDazzle (02-20-09), Imnapl (02-20-09), reesah (02-19-09)
Old 02-19-09, 04:37 PM
Forum Guru

reesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to all

Thanks for the clarification. It's better to try things knowing they haven't been tested, than think there is some research backing them up. It seems to be pretty individual whether a lot of these things work, but as long as I don't stop seeking proper and proven care some of them can't hurt to try.

I was wondering if that was the case and now I know!

It reminds me of being told to take melatonin for my insomnia, which never worked, I was very upset because I had thought it was fairly well proven. But I take my sleep medications now, I gave it a shot and it didn't help me, but I know it has helped others. I will try some of the things in this thread at some point I think but knowing that the science hasn't tested them yet makes me feel less reliant on them.
where do I start, where do I begin?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reesah For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (02-20-09), mctavish23 (02-19-09)
Old 03-03-09, 01:23 AM

Re: Supplements for the treatment of ADHD, Scientific Evidence/Research

Ultimately, this is about Fully Informed Consent.

Your choices are always yours to make,

But at least know exactly what you're dealing with.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
Old 04-07-09, 07:02 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,469 Times in 641 Posts
FinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to beholdFinallyAnswered is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrazzleDazzle View Post
Okay. I think we got it. If I want to find out what science says, I go to PubMed, as I have full access to articles. If I want to find out what people say, I come here to the forums, like the OP did.

Because science has not proven something doesn't mean it's been disproven and that individuals cannot and have not benefited from it. It merely means it has not been proven. In other words, lack of proof does not mean lack of efficacy.

As the OP stated they wanted to know others' experience what they found helpful in nutritional support, not to continue the ongoing debate if science has proven nutrition as a valid treatment for ADHD or not. That really belongs in the debate or science section. Maybe the mods can sort out this thread in respect for other innattentives looking for nutritional support.
Exactly, Frazzle.....I thinks it's also important to note the difference in research between FDA approved medications and over the counter supplements. Because of the cost/profit ratio regarding supplements, the amount of research done on these pales in comparison to FDA approved drugs. No one is going to invest $800 million dollars to see if a supplement works when they can't control the sale of it. The money behind the drug companies allows them to "prove" to the FDA that their unique product works for a given condition and once approved, they control the sale rights for a given time period.

For me, I have stumbled upon a neat trick for my inattentiveness. This works wonders for me and allows me to take drug holidays without missing a beat. I use a combination of caffeine, 1000mg L-Tyrosine, and 1000mg Taurine to bridge the gap between my med days. This is basically
a "Red Bull" for much less money and works, in my opinion, MUCH better.

I would NOT recommend anyone take this in conjunction with their daily meds, but taken instead of your meds when on a "holiday" or when your script timing is a few days off.
doiadhd (05-11-10)
Old 04-19-09, 04:23 PM
Contributor

ADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of light

I am skeptical of supplements and alternative treatments that have not been scientifically proven.

However, I may try an alternative that has not been scientifically proven, in addition to medication, (not as a substitute) provided the cost and time involved are minimal.

For example, I do take Omega 3 Fish Oil supplements, which may possibly improve ADHD symptoms. Of course, I was taking the supplements before diagnosis, so if it did help, it wasn't by much. Since taking Omega 3 is good for your heart and health anyway, it's a no brainer. Doesn't involve a lot of time or money.

Am I going to do neurofeedback for my ADHD? Not at this point. The time involved and the cost is prohibitive and at this point in time, there is not the extensive scientific research and evidence to prove it is as effective or more effective than medication.

I would not want to waste my time and money on those things that have not been proven to be effective.

Exercise can be helpful for some aspects of ADHD but again, it is not a substitute for medication. However, exercise is good for many other reasons, so it may just give me another reason to motivate me to take that walk!

I also learned something in a Marketing class that I took that is useful to remember. In advertising, a company can say that their product "helps", even if the amount of "help" it provides is minimal. But when most people hear that something "helps", we generally assume it makes a significant contribution. If something "helps" my ADHD by improving problem symptoms by 5% yet is tremendously expensive or time-consuming, I'm not going to go for it. It's the basic cost-benefits analysis. And everyone has to make that decision for themselves as to what they are willing to spend time and money on.

ADDMagnet
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ADDMagnet For This Useful Post:
darkangel999 (11-26-12), Jewelz81 (11-11-11), Khamy25 (12-11-15)
Old 04-21-09, 02:36 PM
Jr Member

reynoldsjax is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
There are no long term studies,published in mainstream, peer reviewed journals,

supporting any nutritional/dietary supplement as a clinical treatment for ADHD.

Everyone needs to eat a healthy diet, as well as get plenty of both excercise and rest.

Those can have a dramatic impact on the quality of a person's day to day life.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

My daughter has Innattentive-type ADD and has had very good success with ADD-Vantage for kids, Omega-3 fatty acids, and multi-vitamin daily. BIG improvement.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reynoldsjax For This Useful Post:
darkangel999 (11-26-12), Jewelz81 (11-11-11)
Old 11-15-09, 01:08 AM
ADDvanced Member

DTownDave22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There are no long term studies,published in mainstream, peer reviewed journals,

supporting any nutritional/dietary supplement as a clinical treatment for ADHD.

Everyone needs to eat a healthy diet, as well as get plenty of both excercise and rest.

Those can have a dramatic impact on the quality of a person's day to day life.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
Could someone point me into the direction of what the number comparison is between research conducted as noted above for medication vs. alternative treatments? My guess would be that medication studies greatly outnumbers alternative approach studies and has a lot more funding behind it because of the potential for profit (though not the only reason).
I have great feelings of love for many things and hatred for none. On the spectrum of love to hate, there are things and certain behaviors, attitudes and beliefs that are close to hate but there are unfortunate reasons for these things being so: Some I'm aware of to varying degrees and some I do not yet know the reasons for--maybe some day.
The Following User Says Thank You to DTownDave22 For This Useful Post:
Jewelz81 (11-11-11)
Old 01-06-10, 05:26 PM

HelpB is on a distinguished road

just an FYI... melatonin (sublingual form) has worked wonderfully for my insomnia.
Old 01-25-10, 08:33 PM

inattentiveprof will become famous soon enough

-Why is this thread stickied? It doesn't contain actual information let alone actual scientific evidence regarding supplements and ADHD, and is mostly a debate about the rather strange first post
-Is it possible for a mod to create and sticky another thread about actual scientific evidence about supplements so we can post the studies we've come across?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inattentiveprof For This Useful Post:
Jewelz81 (11-11-11), whereami (09-05-16)
Old 01-25-10, 08:37 PM

inattentiveprof will become famous soon enough

For starters, just to show that there is some evidence:
"Correlation between changes in blood fatty acid composition and visual sustained attention performance in children with inattention: effect of dietary n3 fatty acids containing phospholipids", Am J Clin Nutr 2008
Compares placebo to fish oil containing Omega 3 to an a phospholipid-Omega-3 conjugate. The conjugate has a significant effect compared to placebo for the test (significant at P=0.004) and fish oil is somewhere in the middle.

I'll repost if a research thread gets created.
Old 02-07-10, 02:05 AM
ADDvanced Member

bookwurm2 has a spectacular aura aboutbookwurm2 has a spectacular aura about

Yes, this was the study that interested some of us in phosphatidylserine (PS)--we started trying it before the study had completed, and with (for some of us) spectacular results.

The full text of the article is online: http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/87/5/1170
The Following User Says Thank You to bookwurm2 For This Useful Post:
dresser (01-27-13)
Old 02-09-11, 06:32 PM

Laurelgardner has a spectacular aura aboutLaurelgardner has a spectacular aura about

Yeah...going from, "there are no clinical studies," to "these things don't work," is a logical fallacy. Anecdotal evidence is fine when you're talking about behaviors that are healthy anyway, and most of us have enough maturity to know that what works for one person doesn't work for another.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laurelgardner For This Useful Post:
darkangel999 (11-26-12), emily848 (04-05-13)