ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 11-14-15, 09:49 AM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,906 Times in 9,305 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Are you ever satisfied with pictures of yourself?

I am often confused by selfies because it seems the pictures I take don't look like me, but it also happens the other way around because I see people's selfies and don't think it looks like them.

That said...

I'm very hard on myself, especially my body, so it is difficult for me to be pleased with a picture I take of myself.

I often see my own pictures as forever the "before" picture of what I want to be....

But then, I look at my pictures from a few years ago and think "wow, I thought I looked not good enough in that picture? My body looked great!"

I don't take many pictures of myself though.

I enjoy taking pictures of others though, and get very happy when the picture actually LOOKS like the person, and captures a little part of them that I see in them like the sparkle in their eye.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
Socaljaxs (11-14-15), stef (11-14-15)
Old 11-14-15, 10:58 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,353 Posts
Corina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond reputeCorina86 has a reputation beyond repute

If it's any consolation, I don't like it when people change their profile pics because I still associate the user-name with the old pic and it's confusing. But I understand you though. I look horrible in pictures. I still believe I'm prettier in real life than in pictures though. Damn cameras just don't understand true beauty !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corina86 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-14-15), stef (11-14-15)
Old 11-14-15, 10:58 AM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 23,799 Times in 14,077 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

I really hate having my picture taken, I'm ugly.
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-15, 11:02 AM
Pawfect Moderator

Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,159 Posts
Socaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaVita View Post
I'm very hard on myself, especially my body, so it is difficult for me to be pleased with a picture I take of myself.

I often see my own pictures as forever the "before" picture of what I want to be....

But then, I look at my pictures from a few years ago and think "wow, I thought I looked not good enough in that picture? My body looked great!"

I don't take many pictures of myself though..

This sounds like me!people always say I'm photogenic but I obsese and my eye goes straight towards the imperfections I know about on my face..and when I not at my ideal weight, forget it, I rather do everything else but capture how wrong I look..

I took pictures for my business(for marketing matter, business cards website ext) over a month ago, got them back almost a month ago, and I can't pick one and be like ok here this one works. Cause, I don't love any of them, nor will I love any of them, since, I don't like my the way I look physically.. So many people I sent to pick for me and they keep picking ones, I hate the most

People say, I'm photgenic, I'm like cool, still not happy with how I look! Reality is, that we are our own worst critic as well and we look for the imperfections in selfies and images period....But, silver lining.....there is a whole selfie industry and a newer branch out industry due to this lack of selfie loving of ones self... It is selfie filters, and Photoshopping type apps....there are so many apps out there now to filter your unhappiness of yourself in photos, to make you look perfect!
So once I do pick a picture, I need to say oh well this one, I will be filter happy with the parts of me I'm not happy with.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Socaljaxs For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-14-15), Tmoney (01-22-16)
Old 11-14-15, 11:13 AM

Thanked 30,768 Times in 14,149 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corina86 View Post
If it's any consolation, I don't like it when people change their profile pics because I still associate the user-name with the old pic and it's confusing. But I understand you though. I look horrible in pictures. I still believe I'm prettier in real life than in pictures though. Damn cameras just don't understand true beauty !
I hate how I look on pictures too and I think I'm way prettier in real life.

Sometimes i wonder though if a photo is a more objective presentation of my appearance, ie if it's closer to how I appear to others. Maybe my nose really is a bit crooked and maybe I really don't have much of a chin...

But then I think, or I try to tell myself that getting an accurate representation of a 3d object in 2d isn't that likely...

(And then I feel.stupid for bothering about this trivial crap... )
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Corina86 (11-16-15), Tmoney (01-22-16)
Old 11-14-15, 11:23 AM

addude94 is on a distinguished road

I was starting to think this was just me
Everyone else seems to love being in pics
The Following User Says Thank You to addude94 For This Useful Post:
Tmoney (01-22-16)
Old 12-30-15, 05:36 PM

loverainbow is on a distinguished road

No. I am perplexed that other people think I am "attractive", "beautiful", "cute". I think I am never thin enough, never pretty enough, etc. despite having being paid to do commercial modelling, I hate selfies. I won't let people take pictures of me without my make up on.
Old 01-22-16, 04:03 AM

Gryphonfyre is just really niceGryphonfyre is just really niceGryphonfyre is just really niceGryphonfyre is just really nice

My selfies always seem to turn out poor, like what the heck is with the lighting or wow, this one really shows the imperfections in my face. I really don't like how I look in photos anyway, ever, and feel completely ugly, so, yeah, selfies...not so much.
Old 01-22-16, 11:15 AM

Thanked 3,323 Times in 1,307 Posts
Tmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond reputeTmoney has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with you sister, I suck at selfies.

I like the pictures you post. They are interesting and different.
Old 01-22-16, 11:52 AM
Committee Member

Bethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant futureBethylphenidate has a brilliant future

It's very rare that I like a picture of myself.

It's taken me a long time to be comfortable with photos that don't highlight my best features, but nowadays I've taken to using such pictures as my defaults on social media. In them, I don't look 'good' or 'bad', I just look me, which sometimes happens to look "better" than other times. The me the people who know me already see, anyway. I don't take many selfies, so I usually use photos others took of me, and somehow those are always less flattering, lol.

One little thing that's helped me overcome this slightly: When being photographed with other people. I think to myself, "We're capturing a memory; one day I'll care more about having this picture than how I look in it." Of course this doesn't help with selfies, but it might eventually if it helps you feel more comfortable in front of the camera in the first place! Maybe?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bethylphenidate For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (01-22-16), Fuzzy12 (07-28-16)
Old 07-28-16, 05:20 PM

dewrdr is on a distinguished road

I actually am, because I realise I've put so much effort and time into working on my self image and my body in general. I've changed a lot over the years.

Self diagnosed with Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, many autistic and ADD traits.

Medical Conditions: Conginental Hypothyroidism and other endocrine disorders.

Closely check your physical health before getting a psychiatric dx
The Following User Says Thank You to dewrdr For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (07-28-16)
Old 07-28-16, 08:02 PM

Thanked 30,768 Times in 14,149 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

000These days when I look at pics of me I cannot believe how incredibly bad looking I've become. I feel stupid and shallow that it troubles me but it does. It's not just pics though. I can hardly hear to look into a mirro00
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Socaljaxs (07-28-16)
Old 07-28-16, 08:53 PM
Pawfect Moderator

Thanked 2,344 Times in 1,159 Posts
Socaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud ofSocaljaxs has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
000These days when I look at pics of me I cannot believe how incredibly bad looking I've become. I feel stupid and shallow that it troubles me but it does. It's not just pics though. I can hardly hear to look into a mirro00
I actually wish I was more confident in myself, and cared less about other opinions to throw selfies out there.... Still I hate being in pictures and I u usually avoid them at all cost.
Old 08-04-16, 12:40 PM
Contributor

julialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I am not, First of all, I suck at selfies. I mean to get a selfie that I like requires a lot of pics, deletes and trial and error. For some reason I end up staring at the camera like i am about to commit murder or treason or something spooky. Or the angle is wrong, or I am looking in the wrong place. This isnt such a horrible thing considering the age of the selfie seems to be a ridiculous form of self worship and conceitedness, but it would be nice to find a way to change a profile pic once and a while. Even when other people say its good, it takes me so long to believe them, and I am wondering if this is carry over from poor self esteem. I know I am not hideous- but try telling my self esteem that.
I have sooooo many selfie duplicates, selfies that I don't think are perfect, selfies that are a bit blurry, etc. Sometimes I never even post them.

The idea that selfies are vain and narcissistic and negative is just a social agreement. I think selfies are great and empowering, because no longer are we subject to the gaze of other people (specifically men), but we are finally in control of our image.

Our Bodies, Our Selfies: The Feminist Photo Revolution
http://time.com/3099103/feminist-sel...wokeuplikedis/

Are Selfies Empowering for Women? https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ring-for-women

-neutral milk hotel
Old 08-07-16, 06:03 AM
Contributor

TheFitFatty is a name known to allTheFitFatty is a name known to allTheFitFatty is a name known to allTheFitFatty is a name known to allTheFitFatty is a name known to allTheFitFatty is a name known to allTheFitFatty is a name known to all

I hate seeing pictures of myself. I look so fat, and that's all I can see. But then I can't look away either. Bit of a car crash.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheFitFatty For This Useful Post:
julialouise (08-08-16)