ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 10-01-16, 08:05 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buzz Cut for women? I totally dig it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermus View Post
Euhm, I don't usually see men wearing make-up. But unless you are a goth I don't think it's that accepted. There is a difference between the sexes that makes people physically attractive to each other. Let's celebrate that instead of reducing all differences to make everyone look alike.
I love makeup and long hair and bright colors. Thats why I have purple hair-Im not punk or girlie- its my favorite color and I have had it for 3 years now. But to say that we should celebrate the differences between the sexes based on physical attractions? And that physical attraction is based on what "men" think is attractive to them? I dont see many women talking about about how men should have a certain length of hair to be attractive. In fact men can have short hair, long hair and even be bald and there are tons of different types of women who will think that is attractive.
There arent many women who say a man has to have a certain length of hair to be considered attractive.

You are saying we should celebrate the differences between the sexes and physical attraction based on what YOU think they are and what is the standard for beauty. You think having a woman with long hair means she is attractive and that its a difference between the sexes that promotes beauty.
I cant believe you feel that way honestly.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
julialouise (10-01-16), Lunacie (10-01-16), namazu (10-01-16)
Old 10-01-16, 08:06 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why can't men wear make-up? Same thing.

A woman with short hair/a buzzcut is just not for me. Some women can have it, sure. But those same women in general would look even better with long hair.

Even on men I think buzzcuts are not great by the way. Unless a man is bald, hair is always preferable to me.
Seriously? You have determined that a woman with a buzz cut would actually look better with long hair?

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
julialouise (10-01-16)
Old 10-01-16, 08:22 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 22,381 Times in 12,052 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

I love buzz cuts on men.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-16, 09:10 AM

moth2flame has a spectacular aura aboutmoth2flame has a spectacular aura about

I'm a woman, and my hair is buzz-cut length (3/8") everywhere except for a mohawk-like strip on top. I don't *think* it counts as a full mohawk... because it doesn't go down the back of my head... not sure what to call that, besides Nothing But Bangs, and/or Tank Girl haircut!

The first time I ever buzzed my head was when I was 19 (I'm 34 now). It was totally on impulse, and I LOVED it!! Haircare was basically nonexistent! The wind on my scalp was amazing! The other people wanting to touch it thing got annoying pretty fast, though... especially because my scalp also got sunburned a day or two after I cut it. One other longer-term dislike for me was that, because I have light-ish colored, verrrry fine hair, at its shortest it looked like I was bald with a sparkly scalp, which I didn't find very appealing. And once it gets long enough to look like I have hair... is right when it starts to stick *straight out*, and in all the wrong directions, making me want to cut it all off again. Ugh!!

I had it medium-short for a few years, and liked that, too... but it was just too difficult/expensive to maintain (especially with the ADHD, and all of the accompanying life chaos)... after a couple years of it being around shoulder-length, I began to realize again just how much I *loathe* having long hair, how not-good it looks (on me), how itchy and unruly and greasy and awful it is (for me), how much time/energy it eats up to wash/brush/style it and for basically zero (if not negative) satisfaction... finally reached a breaking point this summer and said *** it, egged on by 100+ degree days: got some $15 walmart clippers and "went full-on skater," as a friend put it. Since then I've done a full 180, and I could *not* be happier with my hair!! It's great, and easy, and freeing, and fuzzy. Maybe not for everyone, but it works for me!
"Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
--Max Ehrmann, "Desiderata"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moth2flame For This Useful Post:
julialouise (10-01-16), namazu (10-01-16), stef (10-01-16)
Old 10-01-16, 10:41 AM
ADDvanced Member

karenparker is a jewel in the roughkarenparker is a jewel in the roughkarenparker is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Seriously? You have determined that a woman with a buzz cut would actually look better with long hair?
I mean, I get everyone has preferences, but this annoys me so, so much. Or maybe not annoys. Saddens?
It's somewhere there on pair with men that would rather have chapped hands in Winter, because they believe using hand cream will take away their masculinity and such. Such a shallow look at what makes us women/men.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karenparker For This Useful Post:
julialouise (10-01-16), namazu (10-01-16)
Old 10-01-16, 01:47 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 23,807 Times in 14,081 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenparker View Post
Really? I mean, I do encounter men wearing full face makeup and I think it's great, but I would never think it's more socially acceptable than for women to have short hair.
Where I live, a woman having short hair is as frowned upon as running down the street with no clothes on. I'm being serious (not that I've ever gone outside with nothing on but that's beside the point)
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

Old 10-01-16, 02:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

karenparker is a jewel in the roughkarenparker is a jewel in the roughkarenparker is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightstar View Post
Where I live, a woman having short hair is as frowned upon as running down the street with no clothes on. I'm being serious (not that I've ever gone outside with nothing on but that's beside the point)
But are you really saying that a guy with full makeup would be less of a problem?
The Following User Says Thank You to karenparker For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (10-01-16)
Old 10-01-16, 02:07 PM

midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But are you really saying that a guy with full makeup would be less of a problem?
*nods* just the stupid place I live in where people think that way.

Old 10-01-16, 02:18 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightstar View Post
*nods* just the stupid place I live in where people think that way.
I'm super curious now what place exactly that is? I of course understand if you don't want to share.
The Following User Says Thank You to karenparker For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (10-01-16)
Old 10-01-16, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I'm super curious now what place exactly that is? I of course understand if you don't want to share.
All I can say publically is it's a small village. For safety and privacy reasons I can't specify where or anything.

Old 10-01-16, 07:43 PM
Contributor

julialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud of

Quote:
Why can't men wear make-up? Same thing.

A woman with short hair/a buzzcut is just not for me. Some women can have it, sure. But those same women in general would look even better with long hair.

Even on men I think buzzcuts are not great by the way. Unless a man is bald, hair is always preferable to me.
more men ARE beginning to wear makeup, and it's becoming increasingly encouraged. whoops!

-neutral milk hotel
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to julialouise For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (10-01-16)
Old 10-01-16, 07:45 PM
Contributor

julialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud ofjulialouise has much to be proud of

Quote:
Euhm, I don't usually see men wearing make-up. But unless you are a goth I don't think it's that accepted. There is a difference between the sexes that makes people physically attractive to each other. Let's celebrate that instead of reducing all differences to make everyone look alike.
also, i didn't realize that lesbians and gays and bisexual and pansexual people didn't exist.

-neutral milk hotel
The Following User Says Thank You to julialouise For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (10-01-16)