ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-17, 12:46 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,507 Times in 3,100 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Analysis Paralysis!

As described on wiki: "Analysis paralysis or paralysis by analysis is the state of over-analyzing (or over-thinking) a situation so that a decision or action is never taken, in effect paralyzing the outcome. A decision can be treated as over-complicated, with too many detailed options, so that a choice is never made, rather than try something and change if a major problem arises. A person might be seeking the optimal or "perfect" solution upfront, and fear making any decision which could lead to erroneous results, while on the way to a better solution."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analysis_paralysis

I suffer from this issue greatly and wonder how common an issue it is with the rest of you (particually the PI subtypes).

I think this is a major cause of my procrastination issues. I over think the situation, seek out the perfect solution, then can't decide what that solution is, so take no further action.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (01-21-17), Greyhound1 (01-22-17), Soupfruit (01-23-17)
Old 01-20-17, 06:39 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

PolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Analysis Paralysis!

Yes, this happens. With everything, more or less.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PolaBear For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (01-20-17), Soupfruit (01-23-17)
Old 01-20-17, 07:38 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,971 Times in 9,012 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in on this one too.

When one component of the solution is missing, I stand and stare blankly until it arrives. If it doesn't arrive, I continue to stare blankly until someone comes to get me. Then, I stare blankly at them.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (01-21-17), Fraser_0762 (01-20-17), Little Missy (01-20-17), Soupfruit (01-23-17), ToneTone (01-22-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-17, 07:41 PM

Thanked 22,380 Times in 12,052 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post
I'm in on this one too.

When one component of the solution is missing, I stand and stare blankly until it arrives. If it doesn't arrive, I continue to stare blankly until someone comes to get me. Then, I stare blankly at them.
or I'll sing a song and dance away...

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-17, 09:25 PM

Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

What is the solution? Create a list of all possible positive and negative outcomes for each decision? Then make a logical choice based on those lists? That would take forever.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (01-20-17), Soupfruit (01-23-17)
Old 01-20-17, 09:37 PM

Thanked 30,768 Times in 14,149 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Totally. I can't make decisions got the life of me. I research for ages, agonise over it, make pro.and cons lists, keep forgetting what I've read half way through, start again, etc. In the end like you I either dont mske a decision or just do something totally random.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-17, 09:40 PM

Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on what it is I am trying to decide on, sometimes I ask The Guy -whomever that may be - what HE would want if he had to make a choice.

The Guy has never pointed me into the wrong decision yet.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (01-20-17), Soupfruit (01-23-17), stef (01-21-17)
Old 01-20-17, 09:42 PM

Wow, I wish I knew "The Guy".
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Soupfruit (01-23-17)
Old 01-20-17, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
Wow, I wish I knew "The Guy".
I usually don't know him either.

The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
Soupfruit (01-23-17)
Old 01-21-17, 04:54 AM

Thanked 27,493 Times in 13,309 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

mostly i agonize for days, and then make a split second decision based solely on intuition
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (01-21-17), Soupfruit (01-23-17)
Old 01-21-17, 05:05 AM
Mrs dvdnvwls

Thanked 18,906 Times in 9,305 Posts
BellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond reputeBellaVita has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
mostly i agonize for days, and then make a split second decision based solely on intuition
I'm also in the "agonize for days" Club, when it is something I find very challenging or don't even know how to take the first step or what the steps are, then that can turn into weeks.

I get very anxious and scared of doing something the wrong way or not approaching the situation correctly. I get a buildup of pressure and anxiety which just makes me even slower to trying to face the difficult thing. I also tend to doubt my abilities.

In the end I do get things done, but it is a messy process mentally and internally to get there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BellaVita For This Useful Post:
Soupfruit (01-23-17), stef (01-21-17)
Old 01-21-17, 01:42 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,356 Times in 782 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperfocus ?
Old 01-22-17, 06:27 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Its all fear based for me, fear of the unknown or not feeling in control of any outcome.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (01-22-17), Soupfruit (01-23-17)
Old 01-22-17, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Its all fear based for me, fear of the unknown or not feeling in control of any outcome.
It's horrible. I can't make choices because I don't know what the outcome is going to be, but I couldn't possibly know until I make the choice in the first place. It's such a paradox.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
sarahsweets (01-22-17), Soupfruit (01-23-17)
Old 01-22-17, 10:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

PolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of lightPolaBear is a glorious beacon of light

There's also the fact of being able to play around when there's no decision, whereas a decision takes focus.
The Following User Says Thank You to PolaBear For This Useful Post:
Soupfruit (01-23-17)