ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-19, 12:51 PM

Windyhill63 is on a distinguished road
Mixed up words

I do have this tendency to say the wrong words at times. It mght be a similar sounding word or related word or something I was thinking about earlier... I describe it as my brain working faster than my mouth.. wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
The Following User Says Thank You to Windyhill63 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (03-26-19)
Old 03-26-19, 02:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 22,379 Times in 12,051 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mixed up words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windyhill63 View Post
I do have this tendency to say the wrong words at times. It mght be a similar sounding word or related word or something I was thinking about earlier... I describe it as my brain working faster than my mouth.. wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
oh yeah

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Old 03-26-19, 04:33 PM

Simon Help is on a distinguished road

I do experience this too. Sometimes I spend too much time thinking about my answers because of that.

My job forces me to socialize a lot so I'm getting better at communicating my thoughts than I used to.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-19, 04:15 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

OP do you think there may be a neurological issue at hand or is this something that has always been an issue?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 03-27-19, 09:45 AM

The thing is what I see on the internet associates this with a stroke, but I am not aware of ever having a stroke. I just assumes in the past that it was an ADHD thing. And its been this way a long time for me.... I also say the wrong name when I am talking to one of my children.. I know which one I am talking to, but the wrong name comes out. Same as when I mix up words.. I know what I meant to say.
Old 03-27-19, 11:29 AM

Alphawave is on a distinguished road

I find I do that and often think about what I did say afterward and whether it was appropriate for the situation. Rather than just go with the flow and enjoy myself
The Following User Says Thank You to Alphawave For This Useful Post:
Windyhill63 (03-27-19)
Old 03-27-19, 01:02 PM

Sometimes you can laugh at what you just said
The Following User Says Thank You to Windyhill63 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (04-07-19)
Old 03-27-19, 11:12 PM

ADHD_Trekkie is a splendid one to beholdADHD_Trekkie is a splendid one to beholdADHD_Trekkie is a splendid one to beholdADHD_Trekkie is a splendid one to beholdADHD_Trekkie is a splendid one to beholdADHD_Trekkie is a splendid one to beholdADHD_Trekkie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windyhill63 View Post
This is definitely something I have experienced, too.

My mother, who I believe is undiagnosed ADHD, used to call my siblings and me by each other's names and even the pets names or other family members sometimes lol! I think everyone does this from time to time, but it may just be more frequent with ADHD.

I'm no medical professional, but I'd only find it worrisome if it came on suddenly or became much worse out of nowhere.
Windyhill63 (03-28-19)
Old 04-07-19, 04:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

Drogheda98 has a spectacular aura aboutDrogheda98 has a spectacular aura about

Windy, I'll relate to you something I've I've been working on in this realm of "words with meaning" as well.

a bit of a personal anecdote, just in the past week I had to deliver a couple of speeches for college performance (got in second and going to nationals, woohoo!!)

anyway enough about just myself in this regard but how what I learned through my efforts can help you as well.

and I might be mixing up these notions so I'll explain in short, both of them. and I think the default of just "words" are to us all.

their is like, the rote memorization of words and I think that is the a byproduct from the general school of thought of.... what we all ascribe to language acquisition in school. wrighting things down is a great and probably best way to learn knowledge, however, with words and how we convey idea's through the words we use is another story.

Symbolic order. Symbolic order is kind of like the glue that gives words meaning to the brain, and I speak of this concept through my own achievement (and if I'm gloating please someone let me know)

so, when I wrote my speech I had a topic in mind (affective business leadership, the three bullet points were- courage, healthy self esteem, humbleness.

when you think of words, like I did for the speech and what symbolic order means is as you think of a word, new word, whatever, you need to, as you are wrighting or learning a new word, Visualize in your head what that word meaning looks like for you.

for example, courage is easy (I watched the lion king right before I wrote the speach), but that's a perfect example, wright down the word "courage" and at the same time visualize what that word means, healthy self esteem visualize a healthy person, Leadership coorelated with the notions above, well, Richard Branson is a prime example (ya all these are from my own example but you can take a page from my own narrative for your own word-work)

the more practice like the above stated, the better you get at word usage with meaning, and I beleive symbolic representation gets rid of the "uhmms", or a lot of em, in our daily lives.

the second is a bit trickier for people with adhd, cause sense we do seem to be pretty brilliant in associating things with other things (ala symbolic representation), the other notion is

2: emotion behind words, or inflected in the words we use. and their is no way I can actually properly overlay my own psychological breakthrough in this regard, what I can say to you is...

think of a time in your past you were happy, or go watch something you know will make you happy. hold whatever feeling you feel in your mind and with your ego (I) say how you feel and abstract with your ego (I) into the symbolic order or words. really try to inflect the emotional state you feel at the time you feel anything with the ego statement (I feel happy for example), or maybee when you are watching some video or someone else do something try to inflect in the words you use about what you see someone else do "what he is doing is very brave, what is he doing is very awesome, what he is doing is, I think you get the idea).

the next step is kind of silly, but hold two objects in your hands, this is a notion of being able to hold two concepts in your head, both symbolic representation and emotional inflection. both of these concepts are key to encoding data in our brain.