ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-06, 05:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Nova has a spectacular aura aboutNova has a spectacular aura about
Those Afflicted With ADD/HD Are Often The Most Creative

I can only share my perspective with y'all, when I say that I have been on both sides of the fence when it comes to being, and not being medicated for ADHD. I'm 42 years old and have been diagnosed with ADHD and taking one form of meds for this since the age of seven. Adderall seems to work the best for me.

I haven't been on any ADHD meds since Sept. 05 due to the advice of my Psychiatrist/other medical factors/other meds I'm currently prescribed.

When I was on Adderall, on the weekends,on holidays, on vacations, etc.- I don't feel the need to be on meds for ADHD. I'm playful and energetic, considered to be a 'handful' by those who aren't as 'boisterous', but I don't feel that I need to 'stifle it Lucy' all the time, so I give myself a break.

However, when it relates to school, studying, work..I choose to be on a dose of Adderall that works best for me.

It is up to the individual/family and/or their psychiatrist- or the
parent(s)/guardian(s) of minor child(ren) and their psychiatrist to make an informed decision for medications prescribed for ADD/HD.

Please keep in mind that this article advocates the use of medications for ADD/HD, as well as behavioral-focal techniques.

Also, this article isn't only about children, it also covers adult aspirations and their 'creativity/out of the box thinking', as well.

It would be great to hear everyone's thoughts on this, whether you have ADD/HD or not, and it would be so wonderful if you could put them in a thoughtful and mindful way to those who reply. (0:

Thanks,
Nova

http://www.careerjournal.com/columni...-movingon.html

Those Afflicted With ADHD Are Often The Most Creative
By Jeffrey Zaslow

In American schools these days, countless class clowns are sitting down and shutting up. In chemistry labs, students who used to mix chemicals haphazardly, out of an insatiable curiosity, now focus on their textbooks. In English classes, kids who once stared out the windows, concocting crazy life stories about passersby, now face the blackboard.

Ritalin and other drugs for attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder have helped many children improve their focus and behavior -- to the great relief of parents and teachers. But ADHD support groups offer long lists of out-of-the-box thinkers who had classic ADHD traits such as impulsivity, a penchant for day-dreaming, and disorganized lives. Among those who are believed to have had the disorder: Thomas Edison, Albert Einstein, Salvador Dali, Winston Churchill.

The question is whether the Ritalin Revolution will sap tomorrow's work force of some of its potential genius. What will be the repercussions in corporations, comedy clubs, and research labs?

Some researchers now wonder if would-be Einsteins and Edisons will choose different career paths because their creativity and drive are dulled by ADHD drugs. They also worry that the stigma of being labeled with ADHD could lead some kids to lose confidence, and dream smaller dreams.
This concern comes as more parents are being forced to weigh the sometimes dramatic benefits of ADHD drugs against the unknown that accompanies any new generation of treatment. As many as 12% of kids today have been labeled with ADHD, and the number of kids' prescriptions for ADHD drugs, including Strattera and Adderall, rose 23% between 2000 and 2003, according to the latest figures from Medco Health Solutions Inc. ADHD drug prescriptions for pre-schoolers were up 49%.

A person who focuses better taking Ritalin can be "like a horse with blinders, plodding along. He's moving forward, getting things done, but he's less open to inspiration," says Lara Honos-Webb, a psychologist at Santa Clara University. In her new book, due out next month and titled "The Gift of ADHD," she identifies "gifts" that often accompany the disorder, including creativity, exuberance and intuition. She believes ADHD drugs temper these traits.

But others who treat ADHD argue that when children are given appropriate drug regimens, they become far more capable. "God knows what Einstein would have accomplished had he been diagnosed and treated," says Wilma Fellman, a career counselor who helps clients with ADHD.

It's too early for there to be long-term career studies about today's Ritalin generation. And certainly, many who take Ritalin say it helps; some describe it as quieting the circus in the room. Still, a lot of adults who've excelled as entrepreneurs, performers, politicians and communicators trace their successes to their ADHD.

In seventh grade in the late 1970s, Erich Muller was such a class clown that his teachers actually sentenced him to more days of detention than there were days in the school year. They had a cubicle-like enclosure built atop his desk to keep his eyes from wandering. They said he should be on Ritalin. His parents refused.

"As a kid, I'd see a thousand different things in every cloud," says Mr. Muller. "Teachers told my parents I was 'too creative.' Too creative like who? Picasso?" He now goes by the name "Mancow," and, based in Chicago, is one of the nation's highest-paid radio personalities.

David Neeleman, CEO of JetBlue Airways, never took drugs for his ADHD, and is now an advocate for kids with the disorder. He says ADHD helps him think unconventionally, and he worries that if he took medication, he'd be like everyone else. He has found techniques to concentrate better, while hiring others to handle organizational details. He is credited with inventing the electronic airline ticket, which was in part an effort to help people with the classic ADHD trait of forgetfulness.

Too many kids, especially boys who are merely rambunctious, are being given the drugs with just cursory evaluations, says William Pollack, an assistant clinical professor at Harvard Medical School.

In his ongoing research into boyhood, Dr. Pollack has found anecdotal evidence that Ritalin renders some kids less interested in pursuing creative opportunities. One boy he studied had been active in his school's science club. After he was put on Ritalin, he felt like the spark inside him was extinguished. He lost interest in the science club and dropped out. Eventually, he stopped taking Ritalin, returned to the club, and developed a flashlight alarm system that won a major science competition.

Another subject in Dr. Pollack's research is a math whiz in his 40s who was hyperactive as a child. As an adult, the man earned several hundred million dollars developing computer technology. "His ideas come to him in a flash," explains Dr. Pollack. "He feels that if he had been given Ritalin as a child, he'd
have just ended up as a teaching assistant in some science course."

This man did try Ritalin recently because his wife said his hyperactivity was hurting their marriage. But he found the drug stifled his thinking. He's now trying behavioral techniques to be calmer at home.

ADHD drugs are good for patching up weaknesses, not enhancing strengths, says Dr. Honos-Webb. "If your parents want you to be a lawyer, maybe these drugs can help you do that." But she believes a child on Ritalin is less likely to be the next great dot-com pioneer or even a Robin Williams-like comic.

She wishes more parents would see their kids' futures in less-rigid terms. "Spaciness," she insists, "is a path to inspiration."

- I, can bring, you, back, to Life.
-True Blood
Old 02-20-06, 07:01 PM

Thanked 6,502 Times in 4,746 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation
Heya!

Quote:
"He feels that if he had been given Ritalin as a child, he'd
have just ended up as a teaching assistant in some science course."
I have found that I can focus more intensely on daydreaming on medication; this isn't a joke ... really!

Quote:
She wishes more parents would see their kids' futures in less-rigid terms. "Spaciness," she insists, "is a path to inspiration."
That'd be why I do it, I guess.

Quote:
"His ideas come to him in a flash,"
I was doing just this today.
Listening to Nocturn by Kate Bush.

Experienced the most violent headrush I think it is possible to have.
Violently immediate, as if turning to see a car that was going to hit.

Song ends with a few lines, the Dylan vision brought up to date 'All the times they're a changing' ... but the headrush after the final line ... the climax to the song which ends with just 5 words and then immediate silence. Again the vision of just pre-collision recurs.

Those five words; truth beyond comprehension, buried in a world where its significance can't be seen, if its meaning isn't in regular dictionaries ... where meaning is sealed within the ADDer's lexicon ...

Quote:
"His ideas come to him in a flash,"
' ... and the dreamers are a-waking.'
nocturn,aerial
Katherine Bush.
Old 02-20-06, 10:11 PM

Stabile has a spectacular aura aboutStabile has a spectacular aura about
I think itís missing the point. We have the same experience with drugs that SB does, with no particular prohibition of any form of expression or avenue of approach to a problem.

I believe what they may be seeing is that ADDers on meds are more in control, and can better choose not to go down those paths. The prodding of society to be normal, to conform, represents a powerful bias in the sample that probably hasnít been accounted for in the analysis.

If so, the flaw is the assumption that the kids canít go wherever they want to once you let Ďem fly away. They just donít recognize whatís really going on; our drugs are no tyranny.

That said, I should note that our boy Bry (whose CD comes out next month, incidentally) did us proud while in collage by controlling how he took his meds so that he could maximize his experience with the creative process while unmedicated. He knew just when he needed them, and he graduated with an outstanding GPA as well as the Michael Brecker award for the outstanding jazz saxophonist.

He still uses meds only intermittently, but after a few years out and playing professionally he now uses them as often for specific creative situations as for the more mundane organizational kind of thing.

We gain better control to go where we want taking meds. They donít control us, and we donĎt lose a thing. In our experience, if they compensate for the influence of the social group, the data will slew way over to the other side.

--Tom and Kay

"There is no normal life, Wyatt.
There's just life. Get on with it."
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-06, 12:06 AM

SB-I don't know the specifics of your ideas, but I'm confident that you have brilliant ideas. (0:

"His ideas come to him in a flash"
"I was doing just this today"

Stabile-Congratulations to you and your son ! If you get a chance, please let me know the name of the CD. I would love to purchase it !!

"That said, I should note that our boy Bry (whose CD comes out next month incidentally)"

Nova

-True Blood
Old 02-22-06, 07:48 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 6,132 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Nova go girl I will have to return tomorrow because my hinny bone HURTS from this chair (yea this is really a good example of staying on topic)

But I gotta come back and read all the resposes ......

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
mirandatoritess (11-11-12)
Old 02-22-06, 08:19 AM
Contributor

ADDfor2 has disabled reputation
Wow, I sure wish I had the time to give my thoughts on this but have to head to work. I will come back when I get a spot of time. I am your age Nova and so far have been on just the one side for the most part. I chose to remain unmedicated.

For me, I realize it makes my brain works harder, but for that has had it's benefits as well as negatives. Sure, it took me longer to get where I am, but I have also experienced things good and bad I may not have, had I been on meds. Of course there are things I would like to have changed, but if I didn't I wouldn't be the person I am today. With the experiences I've had I hope some day I can help out others that have been on the same sometimes bumpy path I have. There are people that, it seems, almost get angry when they encounter someone that chooses not be medicated and shame on me for medicating my daughter. My daughter is an A-B student in school by the way. I just don't see why I should disrupt her with what could cause her side-effects, mood swings and possibly affecting her growth, she going through puberty.

I don't know the long term affects of being on medication for say 10, 15 or 20 years. I wish I did. But it's those things like this that lead me to my choice. I may get flamed for this post but I just couldn't help respond. I could go on longer but work awaits.

I am always interested in others advice and opinions whether they are in agreement with myself or not and I hope that this post will be recieved that way. I have written about this subject before and got no response. Thought that was interesting. Even if I don't get a response, thanks anyway for reading my post. Dee
Old 02-23-06, 03:39 AM
Super Meowaderator

meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
A response to Dee

You know girl I take medications because I made the choice to. You made the choice not to and were able to state this as your choice without being disrespectful to those of us who have decided taking medications for our ADD.

I see no reason not to treat you and your decision with the same respect you have shown.....this crowd's history they more than likely will do the same ( I can almost guarantee it )

I think as a group we understand how annoying it is to be attacked for having different ideas!!!!!

I have had what can best be described as mixed results...Stabile's son example would come kind of close to describe some thing similar....

Because of my metabolism I can not take any of the longer acting medications like Concerta.....I take regular release Adderall for one very important reason because it wears off with in 4.5 hours. It is a pain to have to remember to take a dose every 4.5-5 hours while at work but I do tend to be more creative when my medications wear off....

I have had a couple things appear in a small publications. To be honest the original article idea occurred after my medications had worn off.

So I do my best idea generating when the medications are out of my system however editing had to be done on medications.....see stimulants do not have to build up in my body to work and when the effects are gone they are just that gone!!!!

I do message boards such as this because I can read the more complex post and do any necessary research I need to make sense of said post then wait for the medications to begin ebbing out of my system to respond.....that is one of the benefits of being ADD for me is I can function in the "NT' world but any time I have need of an ADD twist it is never further than 4.5 hours away!!!!!

This is why when I am told ADD does not increase creativity I think some one is chasing the wrong rabbit because allowing my ADD to "roam free" increases my creativity......

Quote:
I don't know the long term affects of being on medication for say 10, 15 or 20 years.
I have been on stimulant medications for 13 years.....so far so good!!!

I am not interested in the newer non-control medication because it hasn't been out long enough to have all the "bugs" worked out of it besides we are talking blood level build up which decrease my control.......

My dose is considered to be pretty substantial when compared to others on the same medications I take 80-100mg daily average =20mg every 4.5 hours while awake......

Quote:
My daughter is an A-B student in school by the way. I just don't see why I should disrupt her with what could cause her side-effects, mood swings and possibly affecting her growth, she going through puberty.
I will fall back on one of McTavish's frequent statements no "impairment no (need to seek) diagnosis....A-B student with no mention of social problems why would any one want to medicate her??? Sounds too close to fixing what aint broken to me!!!

Old 02-23-06, 04:43 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Uminchu has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823
I will fall back on one of McTavish's frequent statements no "impairment no (need to seek) diagnosis....A-B student with no mention of social problems why would any one want to medicate her??? Sounds too close to fixing what aint broken to me!!!
My thoughts exactly. I was just telling my son's psych the other day that if my son wasn't under constant threat of being held back a grade, I'd just chalk his ADHD-osity up to personality.
Old 02-23-06, 08:24 AM
Contributor

ADDfor2 has disabled reputation
Thank you both so much for responding to my post. I really appreciate it. I am a pretty creative person myself at times. I used to draw and paint, have written poems, songs, stories and I also sing. Never had anything published of course, like you guys, but I when I was in school I used to blow my teachers' minds when I had writing assignments with a topic of my choosing. I often find that when I am feeling more emotional I tend to write better. Of course writing is something that is second nature to me anyway, but add in a little extra emotion and the sky's the limit.

As for my daughter, she is an amazing poet and writer, better then me. She can sing too but isn't interested right now(gee,the apple didn't fall far frome the tree). Wish I had stayed with it and not taken such a long hiatus. Music is the love of my life. As for the both of us with our ADD, we have obvious charasteristics but we are able to compensate thus far. It did affect my daughter in school until she was diagnosed and the teachers were made aware. As she's gotten older she's gotten better with their help. She is on what is called a 504 plan. They give her extra time on tests if she needs it and just give her little reminders if she loses focus. She has learned to do pretty good socially too. I think peer pressure may have something to do with that. This has worked so far, but I am not closed minded to treatment should any serious problems occur as a result of the ADD, and that goes for both of us, but for now we are doing ok. Thanks again for your posts. I am always open to advice and new ideas. This forum is great. Off to work I go. Your friend, Dee
Old 02-24-06, 03:25 AM
Super Meowaderator

I know many who simply slap them selves or their children on medications.....I am not in favor of this idea either unless drastic problems are occurring. I think you are approaching this as one should.

Why introduce chemicals into the body when behavior modifications will allow some one to function with out them??. I think the behavior stuff should be tried first before medications to see if this alone will be enough corrective action to allow "functioning"

Medications shouldn't be the answer to every little behavior quirk they should be tried only after interventions or adjustments fail.

ADD like many other conditions comes in severities....some people are more sever ADD than others; often this is forgotten.

Old 02-24-06, 04:13 PM

I, like how when I'm not medicated, now, I can be curious (relentless at times-but still curious) enough, to pursue all of the interests that I love. Until I know them inside-out.
Not just through books & research, but through real life experiences, if that's an option available, also.

I've heard 'You have to keep a certain amount of Adderall in your system at all times' as I have heard 'You exasperate me.'
I'm a competent adult and I choose not to listen to either advice any longer.

And I miss being on Adderall sometimes.
I miss not being 'all over the place', trailing off mid sentence, and having to highlight almost each line in books, and write in the margins to keep track of what the point is now. My eyes bounce all over the page.
I've gone through so many highlighters- it's comical (0:
All my books, now, are highlighted -everywhere.
They never used to be like this. Just a few 'extra' highlightings- but not THIS much.

Right now, honestly, all I can tell you is that I'm trying to acclimate to a new prescription for my TLE...and I feel sick as a ...well, my dog was never that sick..so let's just leave him out of this, but I feel sick all the time until the side-effects of this med wear off...
So whether I miss being on Adderall or not- the last thing I'm going to do is go on any other meds right now, even if my Doc gave me the go ahead.

Nova

-True Blood