ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-13, 01:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,768 Times in 14,149 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Overwhelmed and exhausted..from doing NOTHING

Again.

My to do list is constantly growing and so are frustration and stress. I know, I would feel much better if I got some work done but I've again spent the entire day doing absolutely nothing. Now, it's time to go home where I can spend the entire evening not doing any of the things I'm supposed to do.

Hubby just can't understand how it can be so tiring and depressing doing absolutely nothing.

It is though. It's absolutely exhausting doing nothing. Getting things done, having feelings of success and accomplishments ( no matter how small they are) usually act as a source of motivation and energy for me. I know that but still can't do anything. I keep thinking about work all day long, I fret that I'm not doing any thing, I worry and stress. It's just all so stupid.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Bazinga (04-26-13), BellaVita (04-26-13), burt125 (04-26-13), Jacksper (04-24-13), Kelly777 (04-23-13), Plognark (01-30-13), Stressless37 (01-30-13), undermythumb (01-30-13), ysabeau (01-28-13)
Old 01-28-13, 01:54 PM
ADDvanced Member

TheNarrator is just really niceTheNarrator is just really niceTheNarrator is just really niceTheNarrator is just really nice
Re: Overwhelmed and exhausted..from doing NOTHING

I hear ya. Just spent all morning screwing around when I need to be working! Why am I here again! D*mn you add forums!

Previously tried: Ritalin IR, Concerta, Adderall

I don't want to die without any scars.
Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheNarrator For This Useful Post:
7eeing7evens (01-31-13), fracturedstory (01-31-13), Fuzzy12 (01-28-13)
Old 01-28-13, 02:32 PM

Thanked 2,881 Times in 1,485 Posts
Raye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond reputeRaye has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby just can't understand how it can be so tiring and depressing doing absolutely nothing.

When your mind is over worked, it can also makes your body physically drained

"Oh Happy Day"
-Tmoney-
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Raye For This Useful Post:
Electra2 (01-31-13), fracturedstory (01-31-13), Fuzzy12 (01-29-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-13, 02:38 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,971 Times in 9,012 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

It's possible that part of the exhaustion is stress; stress from thinking over and over "I should be doing something".
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
7eeing7evens (01-31-13), amberwillow (01-28-13), Bazinga (04-26-13), Electra2 (01-31-13), Fuzzy12 (01-28-13), holmracing (01-28-13), Plognark (01-30-13), RegulateThis (01-30-13), stef (01-29-13), Stressless37 (01-30-13), Unmanagable (01-30-13)
Old 01-29-13, 12:44 PM

Thanked 27,492 Times in 13,309 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

would it be easier for you if your job was more structured? could you make yourself a schedule? ( i realize i may be stating the obvious or thats just not possible with your work!)
i have no choice at work, people need things now, i cant procrastinate more than half a day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (01-29-13), Stressless37 (01-30-13)
Old 01-30-13, 12:26 AM
Contributor

Vector is a glorious beacon of lightVector is a glorious beacon of lightVector is a glorious beacon of lightVector is a glorious beacon of lightVector is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Again.

My to do list is constantly growing and so are frustration and stress. I know, I would feel much better if I got some work done but I've again spent the entire day doing absolutely nothing. Now, it's time to go home where I can spend the entire evening not doing any of the things I'm supposed to do.

It is though. It's absolutely exhausting doing nothing. Getting things done, having feelings of success and accomplishments ( no matter how small they are) usually act as a source of motivation and energy for me. I know that but still can't do anything. I keep thinking about work all day long, I fret that I'm not doing any thing, I worry and stress. It's just all so stupid.
I think this is probably true for a lot of people with adhd. In normal individuals a huge percentage of oxigen and glucose (something like 75-80%) is used by the brain alone. It is not far fetched to think that adhd-ers with their extreme active brain processes, whether it is thinking, worrying, fantasizing, imagining etc., become regularly exhausted. ADHD brains need more time to recover.

The reason you are not able to fulfill many tasks is that your brain is exhausted. However, a period of doing 'nothing' is only the first step in the recovery. More importantly is that your brain is doing nothing. Especially negative spirally thoughts and feelings drains the brain of its energy. You can even feel exhausted after sleeping 8 hours. This is because your brain isn't actually resting but worrying about all kinds of stuff.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vector For This Useful Post:
fracturedstory (01-31-13), Fuzzy12 (01-31-13), Unmanagable (01-30-13)
Old 01-30-13, 12:32 AM

Thanked 5,585 Times in 2,411 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

The less active I am the more frustrated I get. When it gets like this I try to do the easiest jobs in the hope that it might give me some momentum. Sometimes it works but sometimes I spend my whole day kicking my own *****.
Fuzzy12 (01-31-13), stef (01-30-13), Unmanagable (01-30-13)
Old 01-30-13, 12:57 AM

TokesNation is on a distinguished road

Rather than tell myself, "I am going to do the dishes now." I say, "Now I am going to do the dishes for one minute, then I can stop if I want." More often than not, I keep doing them ( for a while anyway )
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TokesNation For This Useful Post:
Electra2 (01-31-13), Fuzzy12 (01-31-13), Stressless37 (01-30-13), ValliGirl2012 (04-26-13)
Old 01-30-13, 03:36 PM

Stressless37 is on a distinguished road

I can so relate!
I know that early morning exercise combats my unproductive ways.
But, I have long been out of the habit.
ADD for me is unmanageable with out structure.
Healthy eating and hydration contributes greatly to successful days.
Positive thinking goes miles......
My problem is knowing what works but not using that knowledge....
consistently...
Just thought I would share because I have had better days...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stressless37 For This Useful Post:
Electra2 (01-31-13), Fuzzy12 (01-31-13)
Old 01-30-13, 03:44 PM
ADDvanced Member

Zaashy will become famous soon enough

And how did you pull off you phd because I'm flabbergasted how you did it as a bipolar person?
The Following User Says Thank You to Zaashy For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (01-31-13)
Old 01-30-13, 03:55 PM
Contributor

courier is just really nicecourier is just really nicecourier is just really nicecourier is just really nice

i have always been a workoholic, even as a schoolboy i worked, mostly for free. but nobody would ever ask me do handy work, not once they see me perform, its hard just trying keep myself clean.
The Following User Says Thank You to courier For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (01-31-13)
Old 01-30-13, 04:29 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

angora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant futureangora has a brilliant future

Ummm ... You have not been doing nothing - you are now Dr. Fuzzy - that's huge.

Did you allow yourself any time to relax and celebrate and have real down time?

Edit to add: I mean time where you are not thinking about everything that isn't done and needs to be done. I find that I am better off if I don't even pretend to myself that I am going to accomplish something on a given day. Then I relax without guilt.
The Following User Says Thank You to angora For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (01-31-13)
Old 01-30-13, 04:36 PM

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,786 Posts
Sandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond reputeSandy4957 has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Overwhelmed and exhausted..from doing NOTHING

Ehem.

You know what I'm going to say, so I won't say it again...

I was dreamin' when I wrote this. So sue me if I go too fast. ~ 1999, Prince, 1982.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy4957 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (01-31-13)
Old 01-31-13, 02:28 AM
Contributor

Phoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix Ash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Again.

You're not exhausted from 'doing nothing'. You haven't actually been doing 'nothing'. You've been a very busy bee internally, and you're exhausted from running a mental marathon!

Worry and stress and spending so much time and thought and emotion kicking your own *** are burning up a tremendous amount of energy. Those things are soooo draining! No wonder you're exhausted. You've got to break the cycle and recognize that you're not doing yourself any favors when you get into this state. It's actually counterproductive to expend so much energy thinking about what you 'should' be doing, what needs to be done that you haven't done yet, how that makes you feel, etc etc etc. That cycle of negativity can only perpetuate itself as more and more of your energy gets burned up.

I know the feeling well. You've got to break the cycle. It's going to take time.

One good place to start:

Like another poster said, sometimes it helps to just give yourself permission to take a day or two off and literally do NOTHING. Just play, entertain yourself, sleep, veg, do only fun things, zero 'productive' things, and not think about anything stressful AT ALL. It's restorative -- but the permission part is crucial. You have to know that it's ok to do, so that you don't spend the day (or the following days) trying not to feel guilty over taking some much-needed Me Time. Otherwise the entire purpose is defeated. And you can't allow anyone else to give you a hard time about it, either.

Whenever you find yourself having those draining sorts of days, please give yourself permission to do this at the first available opportunity. Not only do you deserve it, you NEED it so that you can restore your ability to function.

And don't forget to remind yourself every single day of how awesome you are, just because you exist. You are!

Rx: Dextroamphetamine IR for ADD-PI.

Currently on a trial of Chlorpheniramine for depression & anxiety. So far so good.

Formerly on Wellbutrin, Prozac, and various forms of
Ritalin, Adderall, Vyvanse
The Following User Says Thank You to Phoenix Ash For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (01-31-13)
Old 01-31-13, 03:32 AM

Thanked 7,911 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

What I do is I look at the day of nothingness as a day that is bust, i.e ain't nothing going to get better so I take it off, and I plan to start again the next day.

Tomorrow is always another day.

I can be a very organised person, yet I can also be the complete opposite, and I have been the complete opposite for days. I hope I can overcome this.

Worse thing is I've been taking my meds late and they are just not making me...well they work half as well.

I may not be feeling exhausted but I've been frustrated. Actually, I'm so hyperactive I even forget what I'm doing. What's happening now, this focusing thing, is a real miracle.
The Following User Says Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (01-31-13)