ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 09-28-09, 03:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

2Springers_Matt is on a distinguished road
Craving Alcohol at the end of the day

I have been on Vyvanse all summer now. That and Prozac have absolutely made me a new person. I love it. However, I have a craving for alcohol at the end of the day, when I can feel the Vyvanse wearing down. I already have trouble sleeping so I take 100-150mg of Trazodone. With a couple of drinks it seems to actually get my body still and calm so I can go to sleep, or at least actually feel like I want to go to sleep. I am always up several times throughout the night, and end up awake pretty early. My wife is becoming worried I am drinking too much...Im not getting drunk by any means, but definitely feel the alcohol working (buzzed).
I am not sure what to do about this. I dont feel my alcohol intake is excessive, but I dont need the extra anxiety from her either.
Does anyone else experience this on Vyvanse, and/or Prozac?

Old 09-28-09, 04:20 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Kiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Craving Alcohol at the end of the day

I am on Vyvanse and yeah....my cravings for a cocktail or two at the end of the day are as much if not more now than before I started it. I don't have a difinitive answer, sorry....just know you ain't alone my friend....my personal feeling is that for me Vyvanse wears out so slowly, so smoothly I, my system, is confussed whether it is on way up or way down and this confussion makes me have desire to force it one way or the other.....I have equal urge to take more Vyvanse if only 1/10th of a cap broken open just to move me one frikin direction or other.....obviousely my insticnt is to slow my roll in the evening.....sedate, so a drink feels good, natural and needed and it helps......even in situation I would not normally have one so makes me worry "why am I drinking this?"

Do let me know if you find answer....

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying. ~ Oscar Wilde
Old 09-28-09, 07:29 PM
Contributor

demo3210 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Craving Alcohol at the end of the day

As a disclaimer, please no one take this personal, this is my general input on the matter and is not directed towards anyone in particular. I'm not accusing anyone of being an alcoholic, especially the OP.

Alcohol (mostly wine and beer) has been found beneficial when taking 1 drink for females and 1-2 for men. Other sources say 1-2 for women and 2-3 for men; it all depends on how cautious you want to be. Any more and it's really a steep downward slope as far as the benefits go.

The only problem is that drinking 1-2 drinks a day can lead to tolerance and then eventually some people might want to drink a little more over time to get the buzz again. I think this is why a very low percentage of the population actually follows the 1-2 drinks a day rule. It's also expensive.

Also, if you decide to drink alcoholic beverages at night, it's recommended to consume them no sooner than 4 hours before sleep as alcohol affects REM sleep and alters sleep patterns.

Always be weary of the signs of alcoholism...the reason I say that is because, unfortunately, loved ones expressing concern about alcohol intake is one of the signs. http://www.alcoholism-information.co...lcoholism.html and http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/alc...CTION=symptoms