ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 04-18-10, 10:53 AM
ADDvanced Member

Spence's Mom has a spectacular aura aboutSpence's Mom has a spectacular aura about
C R A S H at the end of each day

We are new to this ADD-I and working on figuring it all out...we have some serious crashing happening at the end of the day, after the meds wear off...it is like he forgot how to behave with out his medicine...frustrating my DH to no end, he wants him off the meds so he can re-learn how to behave..I know there is a better answer. What do others do...he has tried Focalin and Vyvanse with ticks and depression showing up. He is on Metadate and it works about 8 hours. We really hesitate putting him on more medicine....but it is getting tough. Any suggestions welcome.
Old 04-18-10, 11:54 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,808 Posts
Lady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond repute
Re: C R A S H at the end of each day

Sometimes a higher dose is what's needed, and sometimes a short acting "booster" in the afternoon helps with that too. Talk to the doctor and see what they recommend.

I'm really glad that worked. Those would have been terrible last words.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Lark For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (04-18-10), Spence's Mom (04-19-10)
Old 04-18-10, 11:57 AM

Thanked 3,558 Times in 2,136 Posts
Turbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochica has a reputation beyond repute

I understand your struggle with this issue and it's good that you see that it is when the meds wear off that the behavior problems start. That coupled with being the end of the day and all that he had to deal with along the way, yes that would be a time for crashes. Even my NT kids crash at the end of the day. same but different I know.

I don't think taking him off the meds will help him relearn how to behave. I think coming up with coping strategies a routine maybe that will help him learn how to deal with this time would be a much better option. Give him the tools to succeed at this time of day. The you all will better for it

Fyodor Dostoevsky

The Following User Says Thank You to Turbochica For This Useful Post:
Spence's Mom (04-19-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-10, 02:50 PM
ADDvanced Member

Spence's Mom has a spectacular aura aboutSpence's Mom has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the input so far...I am a good learner just wish DH was as fast as I....I have him reading that fathering the adhd child...hope it will help.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spence's Mom For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (04-18-10)
Old 04-18-10, 04:24 PM
Forum Guru

MuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud ofMuscleMama has much to be proud of

Could also be 'rebound', search the forum for more info on that. I agree that you should try to tweak his meds, I don't think he "forgot" how to behave. Have you seen the Russel Barkley transcript and videos yet? They are helpful. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to MuscleMama For This Useful Post:
Spence's Mom (04-19-10)
Old 04-18-10, 04:29 PM

Thanked 13,644 Times in 5,041 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81316

Spence's Mom- Here's a link to a discussion in General ADHD Talk that has seven reasonably short Dr. Barkley videos and a link to the CADDACC (?) site where the whole of the presentation can be found.

Check out Dizfritz's Corner for good information as well.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
canukie (04-18-10), Spence's Mom (04-19-10)
Old 04-19-10, 09:13 AM
ADDvanced Member

thanks for the info and the link...I was watching those yesterday...I am going to see him on the 7th of May locally for a conference. I am looking forward to it.
Old 05-14-10, 08:57 PM

cbryant27 is on a distinguished road

I have a 9 yr old that is currently on Adderall XR 5mg. She has been on this medication since last August. It works during school, but as soon as she gets out she falls asleep within 5 mins of riding home. My sister, that picks her up, has to keep her talking so that my daughter will be alert enough to get out of the car when she gets home. Not sure if she should crash this hard and fast.