ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 05-06-10, 04:43 PM

Shmeepod has a spectacular aura aboutShmeepod has a spectacular aura about
Dealing with the end of the semester

The period from the last week of classes until the beginning of my summer job is the worst time of the year for me. The combination of classes (and my precious routine!) ending, studying for finals, packing, moving home, and separation from important support people fracks up my poor ADD brain like nothing else.

Most of the year I feel like I manage my ADD very well; over the years I've become very good at seeking out structure and developing good habits and routines that keep my brain engaged and happy. However, at the end of the semester (spring semester in particular) my structure collapses and I become an anxious, bored and cranky ball of ADD obnoxious-ness.

This doesn't work well at endearing me to my parents, whose main prolonged exposure to me is during these periods .

Classes end in a few days and I am already starting to worry and count down the days until my life will regain some kind of stability and routine.

Last year was particularly hard for me for many reasons (moving into first apartment, sister graduating from college, boyfriend leaving for 6 months). I know this year will not be as bad and there only be about a week and a half where I am home with no routine, but I can't stop thinking about how hard last year was and getting all worked up over it.

Does anybody have any advice or wisdom on how I can A) keep myself together through the next few weeks of transition and B) stop worrying so much over something that is probably not going to be as bad as I am building it up to be?