ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 10-11-10, 11:35 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

marie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud ofmarie-johanne has much to be proud of
Self-Talk is helping

One of the big problems I have is keeping on task for menial things. I get up to put dishes away, and along the way I get distracted by another task, then get interrupted mid-way by something else....and eventually the first thing doesn't ever get finished.

I've started repeating to myself, from the moment I get up to start something, that task that i'm up for. If, on the way, the cat begs for food - I'm telling myself 'dishes, dishes, dishes'...and I make myself ignore kitty until my dishes have been put up.

It's not infallible....but it's helping.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marie-johanne For This Useful Post:
ADXP (10-22-10), Amtram (10-12-10), String (10-12-10)
Old 10-11-10, 11:39 PM

Lostsoul092 is on a distinguished road
Re: Self-Talk is helping

I say stuff aloud three times. "Put the dishes away, put the dishes away, put the dishes away" It does help me a lot. For me it has to be aloud. Seems to work.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lostsoul092 For This Useful Post:
ADXP (10-22-10), marie-johanne (10-11-10), String (10-12-10)
Old 10-12-10, 08:37 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 17,520 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to see you back, m-j! The self-talk thing works for me for little, immediate things. If I have a list for the day, I absolutely need that. Now that I've got the big list on the computer (since I'm home almost all day, and the computer is what throws me off schedule) it's been a lot easier to keep on track. Today I have to do a lot of typing anyway, and it has to be done before I leave at 3:30 for a band competition, but having the day's household stuff written down as well is helping me keep on track.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-10, 03:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,622 Times in 803 Posts
Michiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond repute

I find this very helpful too. I tend to talk very quickly and loudly on the phone, so I have to physically tell myself to slow down and speak softly.

There's a tip in one of my books about managing distraction. I'll have to go look it up..