ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 05-10-12, 12:50 AM

IRLogical is on a distinguished road
A Captivating Title (read me) (long but good) (maybe)

Gotcha, now you have to read my story. Please vote after reading.

Basic Bio:

I'm a 25 yr old male in my 4th year of college. I've lurked on ADHD forums but never posted.

I was recently diagnosed by my school psychiatrist with Social Anxiety Disorder and either GAD or Depression - I forgot. I'm now taking an SSRI.

I think I have ADHD-PI because I have (among others) the following key symptoms:

- Can't read slowly, I need to read fast or my mind wanders. I read passages multiple times before feeling like I understand it.

- Can't navigate for the life of me. Taking a few turns while driving will confuse me. I get lost often, even with a map app on my phone. 99% of the time I can't tell you which direction North or my house are in.

- Disorganized and negligent. I tried to gain better habits but nothing sticks. I study like a 5th grader might.

- I think I understand the "feeling like a motor is driving you" thing for ADHD (hyperactive) but it feels all mental for me. Well, other than when interacting with my mom or dad. When I talk to them, I can and probably do talk their heads off about something interesting to me. I try to relate it to them but I've realized it's almost compulsive the way I talk endlessly on a subject. Come to think of it, I do the same with close friends but I moderate myself much more. If nothing in the conversation interests me, I go quiet and try to think of an interesting angle to get back in the conversation. Humoring people makes me anxious.

Ok, so I've mentioned ADHD to both my psychiatrist and therapist before but I got answers like "you probably aren't ADHD because you weren't diagnosed as a child" and "well, did you have any problems leaving your seat in elementary school?" and "it's probably your anxiety that's causing your lack of focus." I don't know if they think I'm trying to fake it for the meds or something else but they seem to be putting up a wall. It's weird because my goal is the same as a junkie's would be - to get meds, but the situation really is that I either have ADHD or I think I have ADHD. Comments?

-- I'm seeing my therapist tomorrow to talk in depth about the possible ADHD. I'm going to talk to my psychiatrist too but I didn't want to wait for my next appointment. Any suggestions particular to my situation? Do you guys think I might have ADHD? Thanks for any input.
The Following User Says Thank You to IRLogical For This Useful Post:
BR549 (05-10-12)
Old 05-11-12, 09:22 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,280 Times in 14,940 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A Captivating Title (read me) (long but good) (maybe)

Adhd symptoms must have been present since childhood but not necessarily diagnosed. I would consider a different doctor.

I carried a watermelon?