ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 03-16-18, 10:50 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,551 Times in 6,499 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does this sound ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
No one here has actually suggested that would happen.
True, but an expectation was set up when he said:

Quote:
Those bad side effects didn't go away even after a few days of you allowing your body to adjust to that dose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
I thought Charles was pretty clear that if the side effects hadn't lessened after a few days that maybe Dex isn't the right med for the OP.
Indeed he was, and that is what I questioned. I’m not so sure that is a reasonable expectation, much less timetable.

Of course, if the side-effects are not tolerable, you know that within a few days, if not a couple.

Dex is the right med for me, but none of my (tolerable) side-effects have ever gone away.

And to be sure, dry mouth is a certain kind of hell, but I guess I accept it as part of the deal. Others may be less willing to.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
ak2146 (03-16-18)
Old 03-16-18, 01:34 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,352 Times in 781 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2146 View Post
NB> How does one ever work out the right dosage for Dex? At the right dosage, one should feel:
a.???
b.???

Thanks.

Kind regards,

ak2146
Hi ak, Here's a copy of a post. It addresses more than you asked about, but it does address your first question near the end and I hope much of the rest is interesting for you. For me a perfect outcome is to FULLY treat all of my symptoms for 12 hours/day w/o any undesirable side-effects. The next question will be how far from perfect are you willing to accept and that is answered by the individual involved and takes a few months. GL, -LN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nut View Post
Hi *****, Keep in mind this is MY EXPERIENCE w/ amphetamines. YOUR EXPERIENCE will/may be different.

Your body takes time to adjust to starting a new med or changing dosage or changing dosing frequency. During this adjustment period you can't fully evaluate how well/poorly the med is doing for you. You just try to ride it out. You likely will have a euphoric period for a few days initially and then it will go away.(This has nothing to do w/ treating your symptoms. The euphoric period going away is often mistaken for the med wearing off. It isn't wearing off.) You will/may have side-effect that will/may lessen during the adjustment period. How well each of your symptoms are addressed may stay the same during the period, get better, get worse, start worse initially and then get better. The way to approach all of these unknown issues IMVHO is to keep a daily journal and just wait until YOUR adjustment period is over and it "lines-out" for you. Then you can look over your journal and evaluate how well the meds are working FOR YOU. On top of this, the adjustment period can be different for everyone. For me it is ≤2 weeks for most things, but up to 4 weeks for others (sleep disturbances). If it helps, we have all gone through this and it was equally confusing, but only at first.

How long should you wait until you are pretty much done adjusting to the Meds? I donno. Initially that is something you need to talk to your Doc about. Then after you go through it a few times you will find out what works for you. Then talk to your Doc about incorporating into your titration.

When should you discontinue taking the meds and talk to your Doc? This is something you need to get from your Doc and feel comfortable with before starting on a new med. In addition to serious side-effects associated with your new med, your medical history history needs to be taken into account.

How much latitude did your Doc agree to give you with respect to adjusting your dose and/or frequency? You need to stay within these boundaries. If you want to reduce your dose and your Doc didn't explicitly OK it already, you need to talk to your Doc. The same especially goes for increasing your dose. If you want to change your dosage frequency and your Doc didn't explicitly OK it already, you need to talk to your Doc.

Getting back to your explicit questions in your OP...

How long the dose lasts is different for everyone. My experience is that it is somewhat dose dependent but not much. Your dose can be too low and not all of your symptoms are being treated. Your dose can be too high and you experience side-effect and/or some of your symptoms get worse. If you're lucky enough to find an acceptable range with good treatment AND acceptable side-effects the duration will be pretty much the same over that range. For me with Adderall and dexedrine IR it is 2½ - 3 hours. I believe other's have talked about 4-5 hours. Bottom line is YOU need to find this out by trial and error, keeping good notes, and doing good reviews.

How do you know what the right effect is? You were diagnosed w/ ADHD based on symptoms that you have. You were given meds to treat these symptoms. So write down each of YOUR symptoms. Next to each one, write down specific real-life examples of the symptom causing you problems in the past. Next to that write down specific real-life examples of that symptom, improving, staying the same, or getting worse. For some you may not have examples for, but others you should be aware of at any given moment. For me that is "focus" and working memory. If you keep a daily journal and try to evaluate each one, examples will occur for the others. Be sure to document undesirable side-effects too.

Should you wait for the crash to leave to evaluate? The answer is yes and if you can get your dose right and/or after your body adjusts there won't be a crash. At that point you will be able to evaluate your focus as well as other symptoms for treatment effectiveness. Sorry about the long response. May be too much coffee. Good luck and hope this helps. -LN
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
ak2146 (03-16-18)
Old 03-16-18, 11:46 PM

JakeH99 is on a distinguished road

We're all screwed with ADHD and our short-term options. Life sucks
The Following User Says Thank You to JakeH99 For This Useful Post:
ak2146 (03-17-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-18, 01:02 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon View Post
True, but an expectation was set up when he said:

Indeed he was, and that is what I questioned. I’m not so sure that is a reasonable expectation, much less timetable.

Of course, if the side-effects are not tolerable, you know that within a few days, if not a couple.

Dex is the right med for me, but none of my (tolerable) side-effects have ever gone away.

And to be sure, dry mouth is a certain kind of hell, but I guess I accept it as part of the deal. Others may be less willing to.

Cheers,
Ian
In general, if a side effect doesn't subside substantially after more than a few days, I think it mostly likely won't ever subside. I'm not asserting this as a hard and fast rule, but merely as common sense guess.

I agree that there are pros and cons to medication, and that the pros and cons should be weighed. In the OP's own words, the symptoms were "extreme," there were no therapeutic benefits, and now needs 6mg clonazepam daily in order to cope with the symptoms.

In terms of weighing the pros and the cons, it seems pretty clear to me that the cons outweigh the pros, but I'm not a medical professional, so what I said is merely my personal opinion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-13-18), ak2146 (03-17-18)
Old 04-30-18, 02:45 AM

ak2146 has disabled reputation

Hi all,

Thank you for your insights.

I would really appreciate your views based upon personal lived experiences on one key question:

Is 6mg (2mg at 6am/2mg at 12pm/2mg at 6pm) of Clonazepam too much to day on a daily basis?

I just feel so tired and sleepy all the time on 6mg.

Thanks.

Kind regards,

ak2146.

NB> My shrink stopped all Dexamphatmine Sulphate IR, as it was too stimulating. I now only take 6mg of Clonazepam for anxiety relief.
Old 04-30-18, 04:53 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

6mg/day is much higher than the average daily dose. Of course, each person is different, and your doctor is prescribing this dose for you.

You say that you feel tired and sleepy from this dosage. Well, that's a pretty expected side effect.

For your ADHD treatment, if dexedrine is no longer an option, perhaps you can ask your doctor about methylphenidate. Just a suggestion!
aeon (05-13-18), ak2146 (04-30-18)
Old 04-30-18, 08:34 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Quote:
Hi all,

Thank you for your insights.

I would really appreciate your views based upon personal lived experiences on one key question:

Is 6mg (2mg at 6am/2mg at 12pm/2mg at 6pm) of Clonazepam too much to day on a daily basis?

I just feel so tired and sleepy all the time on 6mg.

Thanks.

Kind regards,

ak2146.

NB> My shrink stopped all Dexamphatmine Sulphate IR, as it was too stimulating. I now only take 6mg of Clonazepam for anxiety relief.
Hi AK, just a comment, I don't know how long ago you discontinued the amphetamine, but there may be impacts from just that. Some of those will go away in a week or two, but some may be rebound effects. Best Wishes, -LN
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
ak2146 (04-30-18), CharlesH (04-30-18), Lunacie (04-30-18)
Old 04-30-18, 05:48 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold

If OP is still around let me say: Yes, you are taking too much klonopin.

I have quite a tolerance built up over years and I wouldn't take that much. I don't even know that my super accommodating and friendly psychiatrist would prescribe me that much. No wonder you are tired. I'm amazed you can function. It's probably only due to the stimulant that you are.

The first time I saw my roommate on ativan I almost called 911 he was so disoriented and out of it. I thought he had a stroke or something. And he's twice my size on 1/6th of what I take.

Especially if you weren't taking them before that's way too much to start on. I think benzos should always be lowest therapeutic level. I agree with others saying that you may need to try another ADHD med. I at least hope the klonopin is a very temporary solution. Keep that up and you'll have one hell of a withdraw.

Personally, my aderall is sedating to me. It calms me down. I am also on klonopin and ativan (bedtime and PRN respectively). Sometimes due to severe panic episodes I need to take ativan to calm myself down. Ativan is my third line of defense (long acting medications followed by coping mechanisms). I was on multiple times a day of ativan and I cut it out own my own accord. Given the choice I would never use a benzo as a first line defense.

I at least hope your psychiatrist is monitoring you very very frequently.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LyrinMeow For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-13-18), ak2146 (04-30-18)
Old 05-13-18, 12:17 AM

stanses is on a distinguished road

Back in the day after years on adderall, I had convinced Doctor I needed a benzo (clonazepam///////klonopin) and was on 2mg 3x day for a long time; All I remember is days like; that day I locked my keys in my car, and about 50 times I drove away from work and my drink would roll off my back window because I set it on the roof to unlock my door and drove off. You really can't assess whether or not your ADHD stimulant meds are working or not when you're on such a high dose of benzo's. 6mg of klonopin to counteract a starter dose of a measly 5mg of dexedrine is way too much, and also pointless as the no ability to assess whether or not the dexedrine was even beneficial, etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stanses For This Useful Post:
aeon (05-13-18), ak2146 (06-01-18)
Old 06-01-18, 01:52 PM

Greetings All,

Thank you for your comments and personal insights; I appreciate it. Also, I sincerely hope that you all are in good health and spirits, and pushing on with our challenges of living with ADD/ADHD.

One more question based upon your personal experiences:

Should I be using IR Dexamfetamine Sulfate alone for my ADD (non-attentive type) or in combination with Clonazepam? Would they cross each other out in terms of effect (Dex = upper; Clon = downer)?

My new plan (Not inline with my shrink's opinion - he wants me to take Clon with Dex - I have personal doubts about that!):

6am: 5mg IR
12pm: 5mg IR
6pm: 5mg IR

I would be most obliged to hear from you.

Thanks.

Kind regards,

Ak2146.
The Following User Says Thank You to ak2146 For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (06-02-18)
Old 06-02-18, 04:26 AM

I'll answer my own question after today's experience.

I took the following:

6am: 5mg IR
12pm: 5mg IR
6pm: 5mg IR

It was a very horrible experience for me with HIGH anxiety, panic attacks and depressive morbid thoughts! Really horrible day.

One day I'll find my right dosage!

Thanks.

Kind regards,

ak2146.
peripatetic (06-02-18)
Old 06-02-18, 09:44 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Hi AK, I have no real help w/ how to approach those 2 issues while titrating/changing meds. When I first started w/ Adderall there was anxiety at first for no apparent reason. I never had anxiety issues before or since that concerned me. For all I know my anxiety might have just been caused by being overly concerned about taking "Amphetamines" or caused by the amphetamine, but I wanted to point out that the anxiety was temporary FOR ME. Best Wishes, -LN
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
ak2146 (06-02-18)
Old 06-02-18, 11:00 PM

Thanked 33,904 Times in 15,342 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

you took it with no klonipin?

they don't cancel each other out really. it's more like you're treated in a different way than the two individually. it's hard to explain but getting medication combinations right takes time. i take several, a lot of psych meds daily and you have to be patient. i wouldn't discontinue the klonipin immediately.

i take ativan daily and xanax prn, by the way.
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
ak2146 (06-03-18)
Old 06-03-18, 12:41 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your insights and suggestions: I appreciate it.

No, I took IR Dexamfetamine Sulfate alone without any Clonazepam. It was horrible!

Kind regards,

Ak2146.
peripatetic (06-03-18)
Old 06-03-18, 10:55 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
No, I took IR Dexamfetamine Sulfate alone without any Clonazepam. It was horrible!
If you're used to taking clonazepam daily, then you shouldn't just abruptly stop taking it. That can cause a sudden increase in anxiety. And it can be physically dangerous. Did your psych give you instructions about how to take your clonazepam?
ak2146 (06-04-18), peripatetic (06-03-18)