ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 03-16-18, 06:09 AM

Sanchez2018 is on a distinguished road
New to the ADHD-I world; prescribed Vyvanse

Good morning guys and girls. I just want to make this short and sweet and maybe someone can lead me into the right situation or at least some dang good advice.

As some of you know or may not know I was recently diagnosed with ADHD-I which I believe is for inattentive? Still new to this. My PCP prescribed Vyvanse. First time taking it last night for personal reasons, but Iíve had like some weird jaw clenching going on, very talkative, and I have this thing where if I am on the couch for a brief minute Iím there for a good while. Again, Iím not the hyper part of the ADHD, just the mellowed, quiet type that canít concentrate. Is there a difference in meds? Like could vyvanse be just for ADHD-I or is it a ADHD regular med? And last, should I give it a week or 2 and call my doctor or just go back to see him in a month? Sorry for the questions.

Last edited by namazu; 03-16-18 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: merged duplicate posts
Old 03-16-18, 07:08 AM

Budkeiser is on a distinguished road
Re: New to the ADHD-I world

I was also given vyvanse for adhd-pi. Not hyper, mellow as well. The clenching is typical from what I understand. It goes away eventually.
Vyvanse is the only one Iíve tried. Iíd say give a chance before jumping ship. It may take more than a month on the same dosage unless it becomes too unbearable of course.
Yes itís a regular med from what I understand.
Old 03-16-18, 07:50 AM

Fluppets is on a distinguished road

Depends on your comorbidities, if you're adhd-pi with anxiety/depression a stimulant like vyvanse might not be the right fit for you, but looking for the right meds is just a process u need to go through im afraid.
200 mg Sertraline
5 mg Abilify
80 mg Strattera
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-18, 01:06 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,352 Times in 781 Posts
Little Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud ofLittle Nut has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez2018 View Post
Good morning guys and girls. I just want to make this short and sweet and maybe someone can lead me into the right situation or at least some dang good advice.

I was recently diagnosed with ADHD-I which I believe is for inattentive? Still new to this. My PCP prescribed Vyvanse. First time taking it last night for personal reasons, but Iíve had like some weird jaw clenching going on, very talkative, and I have this thing where if I am on the couch for a brief minute Iím there for a good while. Again, Iím not the hyper part of the ADHD, just the mellowed, quiet type that canít concentrate. Is there a difference in meds? Like could vyvanse be just for ADHD-I or is it a ADHD regular med? And last, should I give it a week or 2 and call my doctor or just go back to see him in a month? Sorry for the questions.
Hey San, I assume you and your Doc are clear what the critical side-effects may be and when you should discontinue right away. (If not, call your Doc and discuss.) In general your body adjusts to taking the med over a short time. Me, 2 weeks for most and up to 4 weeks for others. You find out how long it takes by taking the med or changing the dose/frequency, sticking with it and seeing how long it takes for you to line-out. (If it takes you ~2 weeks to line out, you don't want to change your dose every couple of days.) Sometimes at first you get a side-effect that is a problem but you stick with it for the time. In many cases it is a problem only at first, but gets better such that after say 2 weeks it goes away or is small enough to live with. The key is that you need to start at a dose that is too low and work up to the dose that is right FOR YOU. This process is called medical titration and you can google it if you want to read more about it. HTH, -LN
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Nut For This Useful Post:
ToneTone (03-16-18)
Old 03-16-18, 10:25 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: New to the ADHD-I world; prescribed Vyvanse

Quote:
Again, Iím not the hyper part of the ADHD, just the mellowed, quiet type that canít concentrate. Is there a difference in meds?
Vyvanse is works for all types of ADHD. Were you hyperactive as a kid? It's common for ADHD people to lose the hyperactivity component by adolescence/adulthood, but to keep the inattentive symptoms. If you were never hyperactive as a kid, then there's a good chance that your diagnosis of ADHD is incorrect. Similarly, if you're using the term "mellow" to describe your internal state of mind, then you probably don't have ADHD!

Quote:
And last, should I give it a week or 2 and call my doctor or just go back to see him in a month? Sorry for the questions.
If you find the symptoms to be severe/concerning, then stop taking the medicine and call your doctor's office for guidance. Often, side effects will go away after a few days of the body adjusting, but everyone is different.

Quote:
I have this thing where if I am on the couch for a brief minute Iím there for a good while.
This might be a sign that the ADHD meds are doing their job - helping you focus on the "task" currently at hand. It's up to you to make sure that direct your attention at the appropriate avenues. On the other hand, if this effect is extreme, then maybe that's a sign that the dose is too high. The medicine should help you function more like a normal person, not like a crazed, hyper focused person.
Old 03-17-18, 04:15 AM

Sanchez2018 is on a distinguished road

I appreciate all the responses. First I just wanna day that sleep is key to this med I think. Pretty much got 4 hours or so last night and this morning just pure drained man. I took the vyvanse with water. I would say 16 ounces. Took a shower, and made breakfast. 4 eggs and water. Then 2 hours later went to work and was so sluggish. So again, I think sleep is key.

Next. I was asked if I was diagnosed in childhood. Yes I was at the age of 8 or 9 years old, along with possible depression as well after my dad died. After his passing I went to live with my aunt and when teachers suggested I be on meds she took me and my siblings out of school and thought homeschool was the way to go. Now, 20 years later finally on meds. I experimented with strattera a few years back but let me tell you my stomach was killing me and when I would feel like I was gonna throw up. So Vyvanse is my 1st actual prescription.

I am on the 60MG Vyvanse. What I have noticed with the jaw clench, couch locked, is when I take it I feel accomplished for 3 hours tops. That being said. At that dose is it too high? Or should I request an automatic fast acting to go along with the vyvanse?
Old 03-19-18, 06:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,573 Times in 1,206 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

60mg of Vyvanse as a starting dose is extremely high--way too high, I think.

Most doctors start at 20mg or 30mg... Makes sense that you are having this weird side effects. Did you get the rx from a general practitioner? Most psychiatrists know not to start at that high of a dose.

It takes time for our bodies to adjust to these medications and so even if the doc knows they want to go up in dose, they usually start a low dose and let the patient's system adjust. Jumping in with a high dose is a shock to the system.

60mg is a high dose ... which I was only briefly on ... after spending maybe a year or so at lower doses.

And you're right sleep is key to executive function. ADHD meds are not meant to overcome sleep deprivation.
Old 03-19-18, 09:52 PM

ADDCJVA is on a distinguished road

I just started on Vyvanse today after numerous med failures.

I don't have an answer on jaw-clenching on Vyvanse, but when I was on Dextroamphetamine IR (Zenzedi) which I understand it the IR Dex, and Vyvanse is an XR Dex (which requires the liver to processes the med first before becoming dex) I got jaw clenching on Dex for the week that I tried it. However, I got no benefit from Dex IR, so I don't know if that was too high of a dose or not, but I will guess it was too high (based on no information than a hunch from my experience). I also noticed on dosages of Dex IR I was getting higher blood pressure, as well as jaw clenching. How is your BP?