ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 09-08-17, 08:45 AM

PillBlast is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Am I me when I take my medication?

I have been diagnosed about 3-4 months ago and since then I have been taking medication. I am just now in the process of switching medication because the lack of appetite with Ritalin was not manageable for me. I lost a lot of weight and I am underweight to start with and a terribly picky eater.

I stopped taking the pills for a few weeks before my next appointment with my doctor and gained back the weight. Now I am trying some new medication and the whole difference of me without my medication vs. me medicated is more clear. My brain is again clear during the day and I am less impulsive. What changes most is also the ability to interact with people, listening to them connecting better. Yesterday my husband told me how sweet I had been to my daughter that day( I was so much more patient). It was the first day medicated after the break, I know the medicine makes me a better person for others to be around but it also takes a lot from me.

During the many years I developed a lot of coping mechanisms for dealing with school and work and even though medicine makes it easier it also kind of takes away from my creativity. I never managed to figure out coping mechanisms to deal with people and my impulsivity.

Now I am left wondering if I am me when I take my medication? Should I just take it for the sake of my family? I'm not sure how to deal with it all and I would love to hear a bit of feedback from some that maybe felt the same way at one point or another.

When I brought this question up with my doctor initially when discussing medication she explained to me that I'm just like a heart patient that needs to take the medicine to function properly. My brain simply needs it in order to function normally. I can't help but wonder if it really needs to function normally, and what is really normal when it comes to the brain? My normal had been my ADHD brain for 27 years.

Any coping mechanisms for being more patient with kids and spouses and creating more meaningful connections? Listening better etc.? I feel like a lot of what I found is about dealing with the academic and work related part of the coin, but as a mother my relationship with my daughter is just as important if not more than all that. I want to not take medicine because everything else is ok without, but I don't want to be a bad mom or spouse.
The Following User Says Thank You to PillBlast For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-08-17)
Old 09-08-17, 10:02 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,702 Times in 5,196 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Am I me when I take my medication?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillBlast View Post
Now I am left wondering if I am me when I take my medication?
The essential aspects of who you are, remain present, always. That said, the day-to-day functioning of your person may change due to the lessening of your disability.

Also, regardless of meds, you are a living being, and so you are a process in motion, not a fixed thing. You are going to grow and change, so the “you” of today will no longer exist in some future tomorrow.

Meds may help with that growth because less of your resources will be used to cope, and more can be dedicated to learning new ways by which to live the life you want to live.

The you that is a woman, a wife, and a mother...they are ever-present. Meds may help you to grow in those life domains, but they will not disrupt that which is foundational.

So you will be you...but perhaps a you that you have never known...because you didn’t have the opportunity, much less ability, to do so.

Speaking only for myself...I didn’t fully understand or become my best self until I was on meds. Today, I am more myself than I have ever been, in all my life, and meds have been instrumental in the process of me coming to my own fruition.

Best to You,
Ian
Kaia.S (09-09-17), Little Missy (09-08-17), PoppnNSailinMan (09-14-17)
Old 09-08-17, 02:31 PM

Thanked 18,616 Times in 9,925 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

You will be the best 'YOU' you can be.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-09-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-17, 02:33 PM

Thanked 23,527 Times in 10,871 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

When my granddaughter was younger she was very anxious and argumentative.
Her poor brain couldn't listen and process what was being said to her.

The first days after she started taking Concerta, she could listen and understand
and arguing was not her default setting. She was able to connect with others.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-09-17)
Old 09-12-17, 04:51 AM

ScatterBrainX is on a distinguished road

What I learned is that there is no such thing as "who I really am".

The more I go through therapy, the more I change (for the better), in ways I wouldn't have thought possible. I thought being an anxious, impulsive individual with low self-esteem was just who I was, doomed to always feel unhappy and unfulfilled (and there was some comfort in that, strangely enough). But now I understand that I can choose to be whoever I want (with some limitations, and not instantly), without it feeling "fake", through self-reflection and improving the areas that I don't like or are detrimental.

The questions to ask yourself are: Who do you want to be? If you had a magic wand that could change anything about yourself, what would you change? What parts of yourself do you hold dear and want to hold on to? Make a list, if it helps.

Then work from there. Approach it in a goal-oriented way, rather than letting yourself be driven by that vague feeling of unfamiliarity and uncertainty (they go away with time). Do you want to be more patient? Then that's who you really are (or will be, with practice).

Do you want to hold on to your creativity? See what steps you can take towards that. I find that meds make me have fewer racing thoughts, thus fewer creative ideas, but they help me flesh out the ideas I do get a bit more, and actually put them into practice. See if lowering your dose helps you reach a better balance. Or take days off meds every so often, gather a bunch of ideas, and put them into practice on med days.
Old 09-13-17, 07:19 AM

PillBlast is on a distinguished road

Thank you for all your kind answers. I wrote this as I changed medications (still in the stage where the doctor is trying to see what works best) and I was having a lot of doubts.

I understand all your points of view, and now I am more open minded to the transformation I see in myself. I guess I just need to do a lot of work in order to get somewhere different with my life.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PillBlast For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-13-17), PoppnNSailinMan (09-14-17), TheGreatKing (09-13-17)