ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-17, 03:36 AM
Jr Member

Worriedoldie has a spectacular aura aboutWorriedoldie has a spectacular aura about
How much can you "fix" with diet?

I've been trying to understand how this thing works. But every once in a while you run across people who think that you can fix almost all of it with diet, and the some who says you can fix a lot of it. But what about real world examples?

How many of you experience that you have less symptoms if you have chosen the "perfect" diet?

My biggest vices are my morning Monster soft drink (caffein) and my evening binges of todays choice of candy / crisps / soda / chocolate. I don't drink caffein drinks apart from that Monster, and my lunch is relatively healthy due to delivered food to my workplace.
The Following User Says Thank You to Worriedoldie For This Useful Post:
stef (09-11-17)
Old 09-11-17, 08:05 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 12,585 Times in 5,582 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How much can you "fix" with diet?

If we're talking clinically-verified, peer-reviewed science to date, nothing whatsoever.

Cheers,
Ian
stef (09-11-17)
Old 09-11-17, 08:39 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,111 Times in 12,775 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Only that in you will feel physically better, overall, and have more energy by eating well and not overeating.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-11-17), Little Missy (09-11-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-17, 09:15 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Thanked 17,673 Times in 8,848 Posts
Unmanagable has disabled reputation

I've learned to better manage all the things I'd been diagnosed with through the years via drastically changing all of my consumption habits, not just in regards to what goes on my plate, but in everything I surround myself with.

I haven't "cured" myself of all my ills, by any stretch of the imagination, but giving my body the stuff it can more healthily recognize and work with creates an inner terrain and a stronger foundation within my particular biology that makes me much more able to manage my overall wellness than I ever experienced in the past via typical methods of seeking relief in the medical/psychiatric worlds, combined.

I gave up meat, dairy, eggs, gluten, caffeine, and alcohol, along with artificial sweeteners, flavors, colors, and scents...as much as humanly possible. I try to choose things that bring as little harm as possible to other living beings in the process, as I learned not only do we ingest the products we choose, but also the energies attached to each.

My blood work has greatly improved, I lost 110 lbs., and I no longer have to take prescription meds or OTC stuff, other than one supplement I take once a day that has B12, D3, and DHA/EPA combined, and an occasional tincture/flower essence that I learned how to make with the help of a master herbalist peer.

Prior to the drastic changes, I had also resigned from a majorly stressful and toxic full-time job scene, both offspring have moved out on their own, and we relocated out of a concrete jungle scene surrounded by people into a woodsy more natural and serene living scene.

It took a trip to the ER where I was facing the possibility of having to be cut open and have organs removed to finally convince myself that changing my consumption habits to that drastic degree was my last best choice, and least invasive choice I had left for any relief.

I had already tried every diet, every pill, every exercise I was able to do, etc. that I could find, and had already lived a couple years on only eating locally raised grass fed, free range, "humanely" slaughtered meats/dairy/eggs/etc. in an attempt to improve my health conditions, to no avail.

Gluten was my gateway food discovery regarding how much better I felt overall when eliminating it, so what the hell, I thought I'd try the whole food plant-based vegan ways of existing, and I'm still practicing it, still learning and listening to my body, and damn glad I gave myself the chance to experience it. It remains the hardest damn thing I've ever done.

I have never in my life casually entered into things that may prove to be healthy and good for me, especially if I had to put a whole lot of effort and thought into it. Luckily, I already had a love for cooking, so all that food prep and such didn't feel too taxing, most days.

Prior to the changes, I was a hardcore SAD (Standard American Diet) consumer and ate meat for almost every meal, tons of pasta and/or rice, a s*** load of highly processed foods, LOTS of subs and sandwiches, deep fried everything, smothered most of my veggies with cheese in a casserole of some sort, lived off of frozen meals and drive-thru options, drank sodas constantly (especially diet and ginger ale), wished I had intravenous options to consume coffee morning, noon, and night, was convinced drinking a variety of sodas, coffee, sweet tea, flavored waters, etc. was actually hydrating me, was convinced just a little alcohol wouldn't be taxing to my innards, ate more cheese than a rat, ate any time of the day or night (especially late at night), and was convinced those sounds I often heard in my belly between meals was actually hunger pangs, etc.

I'm glad the other stuff still exists in case I ever need it again, but for now, I'm quite content and continually blown away with how effective the drastic consumption changes have been in helping me deal with things I was told to just get used to based on aging and such. It's been 2.5 years of experiencing the benefits of the changes, so far.

It has also prompted me to learn much more about how all the intricate systems that make up this being known as me actually work, rather than continuing to be fully reliant on all of these professional arenas to break it down for me. I'm the one who has to live in my own skin.

I also learned how little education (not to mention accurate education) many types of professionals actually receive in their many years of schooling that is nutrition based, and soon realized why they aren't the best folks to be seeking that particular type of in depth help from in the first place.

There's no one "right" answer for everyone and there is no "perfect" diet to strive for, but rather work at trying to improve your overall lifestyle habits to better enrich your life rather than complicating it even more and working against your own body, and try not to look at it as a chore, but rather as a way to nurture the most basic of things within yourself. Otherwise, I find it hard to stay on track when I let myself stay focused on what I feel I will lack.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-11-17), finallyfound10 (09-11-17), Little Missy (09-11-17), stef (09-11-17)
Old 09-11-17, 11:03 AM
ADDvanced Member

Emre22 is a jewel in the roughEmre22 is a jewel in the roughEmre22 is a jewel in the rough

If you can fix your problems by diet, it means that you dont have a clinical problem.
You can take diet effective as supplement , not as a medication.
"Snake oil" formulas are going too far sometimes, people really believe that they can fix their all problems by eating some herbs or by a healthy diet.
Old 09-11-17, 12:25 PM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Actually, the Hippocrates dude who wrote the oath thingy all doctors must take shared some invaluable wisdom along the lines of suggesting we let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.

Which I find to be very accurate, yet sickeningly ironic considering how little they're actually taught about foods to begin with prior to treating individuals.

Seeing the foods served in a hospital/nursing home/etc. is enough to know they don't practice based on that shared wisdom very often, if at all.

Then factor in the number of diagnoses that aren't accurate to begin with, and you're in for anything but relief.

My direct experiences taught me that what I ingest can be/is my greatest medicine and the other stuff supplements my needs when/if necessary.

Unfortunately, I didn't learn it until well after I had created several decades worth of lasting damage and had exhausted all the other highly suggested means.

Everyone's mileage varies just as much as everyone's struggles and suffering does. Blanket statements in either direction serves no one well.

"You torment yourself wondering how they could not love your burning heart. And the answer darling, you are not the star you thought you were. You are the f******g universe and not everybody is an astronaut." ~Unknown
The Following User Says Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-11-17)
Old 09-11-17, 02:54 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold

well I think diet is quite important for everyone to consider because its the way you fuel your body and what you put in does matter but how much does it help ADHD, i am not really sure, i mean i would think that its a good practice to supplement and get the right amount of vitamins and minerals in your body to create and produce the stuff your body needs to run properly but if you have adhd i don't think there is enough nutrition in the world to turn you into an "average human" .
Old 09-11-17, 03:14 PM

Thanked 5,460 Times in 2,663 Posts
Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

The most effective diet i've done is a water fast diet. Going 3-4 weeks consuming nothing but 2 litres of filtered water per day. It's not as bad as it sounds. The first 3-4 days are the worst, but then the body goes into ketosis and starts eating away at it's own fat deposits.

The good thing about it though is that the body is really clever, it targets the deposits that contain the most toxins first. It's super effective for healing many internal and external issues. Such as auto immune disorders like acne, eczema, psoriasis and arthritis as well as internal issues, such as digestion problems, kidney problems, faulty liver function, high blood pressure..... etc

How effective it is on neurological system is hard to say, as i've only ever attempted this fast once. I recall feeling much better about myself and significantly less depressed after the 3 weeks. Many new scars I had were completely gone, old scars had faded significantly and my psoriasis was almost completely gone.

Of course, it didn't take me long to start up my poor diet again and all the old issues didn't take too long to return again.
Old 09-11-17, 03:21 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,358 Times in 749 Posts
finallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant futurefinallyfound10 has a brilliant future

A balanced diet in general helps us to feel better so even when we have conditions that aren't directly "cured" by diet, it can definitely help.

Most medical (MD) schools in the US don't have enough course work in nutrition. The professor who taught my nutrition class in nursing school had previously taught medical students and her class was the only nutrition class they took. Osteopathy (DO) schools don't teach much more which is surprising.

Many MDs/DOs who are interested in making nutrition a real part of their practice are holistic/integrative/alternative and now into functional medicine.

Lastly, diet may not "cure" ADHD BUT there are those with Diabetes Type II who have made huge changes and are "cured" by diet: their A1C is in a healthy range, they no longer use insulin or oral meds like Metformin, they have lost weight and healing time is decreased.

I say "cured" as if they don't maintain the diet then the good changes go away.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-11-17), stef (09-11-17)
Old 09-12-17, 04:36 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,242 Times in 13,247 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser_0762 View Post
The most effective diet i've done is a water fast diet. Going 3-4 weeks consuming nothing but 2 litres of filtered water per day. It's not as bad as it sounds. The first 3-4 days are the worst, but then the body goes into ketosis and starts eating away at it's own fat deposits.

The good thing about it though is that the body is really clever, it targets the deposits that contain the most toxins first. It's super effective for healing many internal and external issues. Such as auto immune disorders like acne, eczema, psoriasis and arthritis as well as internal issues, such as digestion problems, kidney problems, faulty liver function, high blood pressure..... etc

How effective it is on neurological system is hard to say, as i've only ever attempted this fast once. I recall feeling much better about myself and significantly less depressed after the 3 weeks. Many new scars I had were completely gone, old scars had faded significantly and my psoriasis was almost completely gone.

Of course, it didn't take me long to start up my poor diet again and all the old issues didn't take too long to return again.
Are you talking about this for daily life or weight loss? Either way I don't see it as sustainable.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 09-12-17, 08:17 AM

Fraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond reputeFraser_0762 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Are you talking about this for daily life or weight loss? Either way I don't see it as sustainable.
No, it's about detoxification. The liver has to process toxins on a daily basis from everything that we consume. But over time, the liver can become so over burdened by toxins in the body that it can't deal with everything and function at an optimal level. This can lead to a series of issues including auto immune disorders and serious digestive health issues.

Water fasting takes the burden off the liver, as you are no longer consuming any more toxins, this allows the liver to deal with the toxins that have built up within the bodies fat deposits over time.

It usually takes around 3 days for women and 4 days for men for the body to reach a state of ketosis, where the body begins to eat away at these deposites in order to fuel normal body function.

Most people are capable of safely performing a water fast for up to 40 days. But it takes several months of preparation and I wouldn't recommend going that long without specialist supervision.

But 2-3 weeks is generally safe and can provide huge health benefits to those determined enough to see it through.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (09-12-17)
Old 09-12-17, 08:31 AM
Societal Malarkey Sorter

Fasting is one of my methods, too. I haven't done any extended water fasts, yet, but I, once again, am doing intermittent fasting, where I don't eat any solid food after dinner (8:30 pm at the latest) up through lunch time the next day. Instead, I drink clean fruit and veggie juices, clean water, warm herbal infusions, or veggie broth during those times.

I also do juice fasting. Learning how to healthily break any fast can be the trickiest part and will often determine how long folks stick with it. Having one-one-one guidance from someone who knows what they're doing is priceless.

I've read horror stories of folks dying by not doing their attempts at fasting safely...but then again, I more often read of horror stories of folks eating stuff that causes them to die a slow, antagonizing, painful death, too, minus the fasting, so, it's six of one, half dozen of the other.

The Following User Says Thank You to Unmanagable For This Useful Post:
Fraser_0762 (09-12-17)
Old 09-12-17, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unmanagable View Post
Fasting is one of my methods, too. I haven't done any extended water fasts, yet, but I, once again, am doing intermittent fasting, where I don't eat any solid food after dinner (8:30 pm at the latest) up through lunch time the next day. Instead, I drink clean fruit and veggie juices, clean water, warm herbal infusions, or veggie broth during those times.

I also do juice fasting. Learning how to healthily break any fast can be the trickiest part and will often determine how long folks stick with it. Having one-one-one guidance from someone who knows what they're doing is priceless.

I've read horror stories of folks dying by not doing their attempts at fasting safely...but then again, I more often read of horror stories of folks eating stuff that causes them to die a slow, antagonizing, painful death, too, minus the fasting, so, it's six of one, half dozen of the other.
Yes, intermittent fasting can be quite an effective way of fasting as well and is of course safer.

The main risk factor of water fasting is water intoxication, where too much sodium is removed from the body too quickly, causing major arteries to dilate. Which is why it's vitally important to limit the volume of water consumption per day while on the fast. I find that 2 litres works just fine for me, but it will obviously vary from person to person.

I agree about the importance of breaking the fast. Eating solids and complex foods too soon after ending a fast that lasts 2 weeks or longer can be very dangerous. Instead, you have to gradually rebuild the gut flora by sticking to simple semi-solid foods like watermelon, then gradually working up towards more solid foods.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fraser_0762 For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (09-12-17)
Old 09-16-17, 06:52 PM

hutchie0109 is on a distinguished road

I did the alkalysing wheatgrass diet about 10 years ago, it's Tony Robbins thing, similar to the water diet, mixing wheatgrass powder into the water to alkalyse the body, removing the acid giving the organs a break, laden with vitamins and minerals, I think he recommended 3 days good, 7 days best.