ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Resources, Tools & Organizational Tips > Tech Solutions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Tech Solutions Electronic Devices & Gadgets, Software and Websites

Old 10-04-08, 06:02 AM
ADDvanced Member

mrsmith will become famous soon enough
Need to get started with document scanning - PLEASE HELP

I need to get started with document scanning, ASAP
Any tip on a simple framework.

1) All I need is to store file and physical location in a spreadsheet/DB with date and some keywords.

2) Later I need to get references to file and physical location in Excel accounting.

3) I think OCR should not be in the initial step, though I feel some kind of barcodes could be useful.

4) Primary desktop (Vista), extension to web "useful"

Valentine
Old 10-04-08, 07:29 AM
ADDvanced Member

Re: Need to get started with document scanning - PLEASE HELP

5) Only 1-page documents are really important.
6) Could be interesting to scan bar-codes or cover-pages of books and connect it do boxes with bar-codes
Old 10-09-08, 06:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

No replies.
Is this a premature idea?
Are people waiting for affordable OCR?

Anyway, I think I can split it up a bit.

P1) Scan documents to files
Has to be efficient. Not waiting for document to be scanned. Perhaps one quick "OK" click pr page.

P2) Recognize bar-codes and map them to files.
(Of course they must have been pu in "P0"

P3) Some documents are already "known digitally" for example from online banking. These has to be matched.

P4) Remaing documents has to be classified with labels, keywords, dates etc.

Ideally in P0 and P2, there should be possible to put meaningful codes in bar-codes and filenames. For example one digit corresponding to the year.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-08, 08:19 PM
Contributor

anonone will become famous soon enough

I read through the posts and don't fully understand exactly what you plan to do, only that it involves the need to scan paper into the computer, so maybe elaborating on your predicament would garner more posts. Do you have the hardware on hand, where are these documents coming from that you need scans of, what data do you need on hand, etc? These are the kinds of beans I'd spill first, and if possible, put them, chronologically, in story form =)

I wound up with a copy of adobe acrobat professional some how and it seems to have OCR fyi. It can at least translate .PDF files into text, but sometimes it mis-translates words like "Mrican Americans" instead of "*African* Americans." The translated text can be copied and pasted into a spread sheet, i'm not sure if you can macro support for automating the process or not.

I don't have a scanning device yet, but I'm leaning towards using a high quality camera to do it as opposed to a scanner; still haven't decided yet. http://staff.washington.edu/corey/camscan/ for quickly scanning, say... a chapter of a text book, I think this method would be best, but I'd have to do a quality check in an electronics store before making the investment. With shorter docs and one-pagers, it would probably be easier and cheaper to use a traditional scanner.
Old 11-20-08, 03:10 AM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,230 Times in 8,580 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

You will need appropriate hardware and software. All in one devices are all over the place you you won't have any trouble finding one.
Being able to use automatic sheet feed is a definite plus because one page at a time is sheer inferno.
And also calculate how fast the thing is. I did scanning jobs where the machine would take 15 minutes for a full load of paper.

Software is harder. The commercial market may offer some alternatives. But I also recommend taking a quick peek at sourceforge.net
They have thousands of open source software projects including document management.
Old 12-12-08, 06:10 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonone View Post
I read through the posts and don't fully understand exactly what you plan to do,
Interesting - i often hear things like this:-)

The idea is it should be enough for anybody who knows what it is out there. I don't expect anyone to spend hours in research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek View Post
Software is harder. The commercial market may offer some alternatives. But I also recommend taking a quick peek at sourceforge.net
They have thousands of open source software projects including document management.
Open Source projects like Knowledge Tree emphasizes a lot of features important for companies that are not important to me (so its hard to figure out which ones are relevant).

Also they are also commercial, so it is difficult to have an idea about the endcost of everything I need (barcodes, scanner software, OCR)

I am continuing this in my blog. Send me a message if you want to move over (read it)
Old 12-22-08, 02:48 PM
Contributor

ginnal has a spectacular aura aboutginnal has a spectacular aura about

Rather than tellins us what you need, step back for a moment and tell us what you're looking to achieve.

I'll be frank document archival blows goats until you start spending serious money.

Old 12-25-08, 04:53 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnal View Post
Rather than tellins us what you need, step back for a moment and tell us what you're looking to achieve.
Reduce paper clutter and reduce time spent on handling it.

Could be nice to hear from anybody that has achieved this through software.
Old 01-28-09, 03:46 PM

relaycharger is on a distinguished road

If your still looking for a solution then I would like to suggest InfoSelect. Check it out at miclog.com.

It's a personal information manager. You can scan docs directly into it or copy existing files.

The program works in a tree like structure and the search functions are excellent. I have used it since 1999.

Best Regards
Old 09-13-17, 06:29 AM

marcus123 is on a distinguished road

Hello!

My printer has an OCR problem, but I have an urgent scanning of a document, so how can I scan a document, please suggest me.