ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 09-13-17, 06:13 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 19,312 Times in 10,265 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Listening skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
maybe thats not quite the right moment?
idk as an adult I need that time commuting to either prepare for the day or unwind
( I take the train I don't drive!)
I have to agree. If my mum was asking me questions, I'd ignore whatever it was being wrenched out of me.

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
stef (09-14-17), TheGreatKing (09-13-17)
Old 09-14-17, 01:32 PM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to allCaco3girl is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpEdteachADDmom View Post
I commute to my job and she rides in the car with me and I drop her off at school, so we listen to audio books or podcasts on the way.
I can't think of a way to say this without it sounding judgemental so I apologize in advance, I am trying to help.

My son doesn't really wake up until about 2 hours after he takes his meds. You are putting a, maybe not fully dosed, ADHD kid in a moving car with about a million distractions going on around her, in the morning when she is thinking about everything her day will entail, and expecting her to pay attention??? This is the epitome of setting someone up for failure, in my opinion.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (09-14-17), maple17 (09-17-17), stef (09-14-17)
Old 09-14-17, 04:23 PM

mildadhd has disabled reputation

I am assuming your daughter does not have deficits of hearing?

I am assuming your daughter has deficits of self regulation.

If so, I wonder if it would be better to focus on self regulation skills?

Very interesting discussion, thanks for posting, I never thought of the subjects from this perspective before.

Thanks

M
Old 09-14-17, 04:54 PM

mildadhd has disabled reputation

I started listening to audiobooks about a year ago.

It been a tremendous addition.

I have about 10 books in my phone, so far.

I listen to what ever book I feel like when I feel like it, during my commutes.

Sometimes I do not listen to anything.

I find audiobook is much more efficient and less dangerous to listen to walking down the road, than it is to read a book while walking down the road.

I would try ever method possible.

Maybe just listen to the whole audiobook in the car during the commute without stopping to test her?

Then listen to it again, if she wants, and again if she wants, to fill in the blanks as she fades in an out?

(I think that is what I do?)

M
Old 09-17-17, 09:46 PM

maple17 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpEdteachADDmom View Post
I need some advice for helping my daughter be a better listener. She has ADD and is medicated. We were listening to an audiobook yesterday and when we listen to it, I pause it every few minutes and ask comprehension questions. I asked a question yesterday that was very clearly stated in the book, and she said she "couldn't remember" (even though it had been mentioned literally 20 seconds before that). So I went back 30 seconds, we listened to that part again, and again I paused it and asked her the question. She still "couldn't remember". We had to listen to it 3 times before she heard it.

I need some tips on listening exercises I can do with her, outside of what I'm currently doing with the audiobook. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

J
First off, I just want to say that I think you're a great parent by trying to help your daughter build up her skills. Kudos to you for that.

I had to smile while reading this though because I know that with my 12 year-old daughter (ADHD/ASD 1), this would never fly. She would be so irritated with me and the commute is her time...either prepping herself to get through a trying day or winding down when I pick her up. Maybe a quiet time during the evening with less potential distractions would help.

Has she been assessed recently? My daughter has had a range of assessments this year and an auditory processing disorder assessment. While she does not have APD, the WISC indicated that her working memory relied on a visual vs verbal stimulus as well as a recogniton paradigm vs free recall. Not saying your daughter is the same, but there are many variables related to working memory and processing, and maybe your approach needs a little refinement, especially if she's more of a visual learner. Good luck.