ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 09-13-17, 08:13 PM
Jr Member

Berksicle is on a distinguished road
Started 5th Grade with No Meds-got email from teacher

My son is in 5th grade and has been in school for almost 1 month now. We are med free in the summer and he does fine because it's less structured, he gets alot of outside time, etc.

I decided a new year, new teacher, let's see how he does without meds. I was waiting for the teacher to reach out and I got the email below.

I was so hopeful my son could get thru the school year without meds. But he's still having issues with impulsivity, listening, etc.

I think I have to get him back on his meds, what do you think?

Good afternoon, Mrs. G. I hope this email finds you doing well. I wanted to reach out to you about N and how he’s doing over these first few weeks. He’s a very bright young man and has a very positive attitude and I’ve enjoyed having him in class. I wanted to pick your brain about his behavior.

I’ve seen him struggling with his impulsivity and focus as the year has begun more times than not. He is very active and overly chatty to the point of not recognizing when I am talking. He does respond well to redirection, but that is short lived and he’s quick to go back to the talking.

I noticed as I was looking through his file and in talking with Mrs. Teacher that he’s currently medicated for ADHD. The one thing that struck me as I looked through his file was that sometimes the medication is not as effective if he’s going through a growth spurt. I’m wondering if we’re seeing that at this time. In talking with Mrs. Teacher, she expressed that she did not see any of these behaviors last year. Are you seeing anything like this at home? Has there been any change to his current medication?

I welcome your input/insight into making it a great year for N. Please let me know any thoughts you might have.

Last edited by peripatetic; 09-14-17 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: replaced names with either single letters or "teacher" to protect identity. no other edits
Old 09-13-17, 08:34 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,506 Times in 10,862 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Started 5th Grade with No Meds-got email from teacher

I think the meds would be a big help again this year. 5th grade is much harder,
the kids are expected to be more autonomous, and they are starting to go thru
some growth and hormonal changes.

Have you asked your son what he thinks about school without meds, and if he
would like to have the help?

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 09-14-17, 04:11 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,678 Times in 12,957 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I look at meds just like I look at blood pressure meds, insulin and glasses. All of those are life or death conditions and one is dependent on them. Adhd meds have been around for over 50 years and they work for your son. There is no shame in taking them.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-17, 03:26 PM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of light

My kids take the meds every school day. On the breaks, weekends and summer I give them a choice. If my son has an important baseball game he wants them, but in general they don't take them.

For my son not having the meds is like putting a bag over his head and ear plugs in his ears about every 5 minutes for at least 2 minutes at a time. If the teacher mentioned a test or assignment during those two minutes, oh well, he didn't hear it. If he did by some miracle hear when the test was I can't tell you how many times I have heard "She NEVER went over it in class, I just guessed on the test."

For my daughter, she can't sit still and MUST get up from her desk. She can't listen to the teacher she has to go to the nurse, the hall, the lunch room where she forgot her sweatshirt, the trashcan, the teachers desk...she can't POSSIBLY sit there and learn and focus on what she is being taught she MUST move.

Both of those are true stories without medication. Why would I handicap my children's education by not giving them what they need to learn? It's not something they are going to grow out of, they need it. I have no idea why people try to start a new school year without the medication their children need. You are NOT the only one who posted even today about this.
Old 09-15-17, 03:55 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,678 Times in 12,957 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berksicle View Post
My son is in 5th grade and has been in school for almost 1 month now. We are med free in the summer and he does fine because it's less structured, he gets alot of outside time, etc.

I decided a new year, new teacher, let's see how he does without meds. I was waiting for the teacher to reach out and I got the email below.

I was so hopeful my son could get thru the school year without meds. But he's still having issues with impulsivity, listening, etc.
Why start your son out in 5th grade with one hand tied behind his back? Thats what you are doing by not continuing the med regimen. Especially if meds worked well and you saw success, why the need to be"med free''? I guess I cant relate to that. Waiting for a teacher to have issues with him enough that she reaches out to you is really unfair to your son. Some people believe in breaks over the summer. I couldnt do that with my son. Do you take any medication? If you had high BP would you take a break in the summer because maybe the stress of the average day was less?

Quote:
I think I have to get him back on his meds, what do you think?
Absolutely.

Quote:
I noticed as I was looking through his file and in talking with Mrs. Teacher that hes currently medicated for ADHD. The one thing that struck me as I looked through his file was that sometimes the medication is not as effective if hes going through a growth spurt. Im wondering if were seeing that at this time. In talking with Mrs. Teacher, she expressed that she did not see any of these behaviors last year. Are you seeing anything like this at home? Has there been any change to his current medication?

I welcome your input/insight into making it a great year for N. Please let me know any thoughts you might have.
So you have what you were curious about only the teacher thinks he is still medicated but that his meds arent working that well. You need to let her know that you stopped the meds and that its not related to a growth spurt or anything like that.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 09-15-17, 12:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,506 Times in 10,862 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Why start your son out in 5th grade with one hand tied behind his back? Thats what you are doing by not continuing the med regimen. Especially if meds worked well and you saw success, why the need to be"med free''? I guess I cant relate to that. Waiting for a teacher to have issues with him enough that she reaches out to you is really unfair to your son. Some people believe in breaks over the summer. I couldnt do that with my son. Do you take any medication? If you had high BP would you take a break in the summer because maybe the stress of the average day was less?

This resonated with me, but not because I take meds for high blood pressure.

I began wearing glasses in 3rd grade. What if my parents took them away
during the summer and sent me back to school for 4th grade without them,
just to see if my eyes were better. OMG.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
sarahsweets (09-15-17)