ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 02-16-17, 09:28 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 27,814 Times in 12,863 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Treatment with supplements for overfocused ADD?

It will make them mean? ??
Old 02-16-17, 09:30 PM

Thanked 27,814 Times in 12,863 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Amen's Recommendations for Type 3 "Overfocused" ADHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20thcenturyfox View Post
Taken from ADDMag, referring to Type 3 "Overfocused" (not to be confused with Type 2 "Inattentive"), each with a more detailed symptom cluster described therein, Amen says
The treatment for this type is not ADHD stimulants, which, when taken by themselves, usually make a person more anxious and worried. We use supplements or medications that boost both serotonin and dopamine. Serotonin-boosting supplements include 5-HTP, saffron, L-Tryptophan, and inositol. When we use medications, we use selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). People with Over-Focused ADD do not do well on a high-protein diet. It will make them mean.
Here's the post again in case anyone missed it as it's the last post on their page too.
Old 02-16-17, 09:33 PM

Thanked 19,333 Times in 10,274 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Here's the post again in case anyone missed it as it's the last post on their page too.
No mutton for you!

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-17, 10:19 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,306 Times in 13,285 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Taken from ADDMag, referring to Type 3 "Overfocused" (not to be confused with Type 2 "Inattentive"), each with a more detailed symptom cluster described therein, Amen says
The treatment for this type is not ADHD stimulants, which, when taken by themselves, usually make a person more anxious and worried. We use supplements or medications that boost both serotonin and dopamine. Serotonin-boosting supplements include 5-HTP, saffron, L-Tryptophan, and inositol. When we use medications, we use selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). People with Over-Focused ADD do not do well on a high-protein diet. It will make them mean.
Legit question:
Does Doctor Amen have medical training?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (02-16-17)
Old 02-16-17, 10:25 PM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Legit question:

I carried a watermelon?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (02-16-17)
Old 02-23-17, 08:26 PM

Nelson1967 is on a distinguished road

Some are non Stims over focused can be Aspergers too or Autism too
Old 09-08-17, 03:59 AM

yol1219 is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I am predominantly Overfoccused type and what I used to treat it ( but stopped ) was 5HTP ( 200mg ). It will stop most of it cold turkey. 5HTP is like a natural and minor anti depressant. Do not listen to these people about it being a fake diag or Dr. Amen being a quack. I took the supps he recommended and most of the symptoms stopped. But for me, I like being this way as a I found natural ways to combat it and ways to use the Overfoccused to my benefit.
Old 09-13-17, 05:06 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yol1219 View Post
Hi,
I am predominantly Overfoccused type and what I used to treat it ( but stopped ) was 5HTP ( 200mg ). It will stop most of it cold turkey. 5HTP is like a natural and minor anti depressant. Do not listen to these people about it being a fake diag or Dr. Amen being a quack. I took the supps he recommended and most of the symptoms stopped. But for me, I like being this way as a I found natural ways to combat it and ways to use the Overfoccused to my benefit.
It may help you but calling it an antidepressant puts it inline with actual antidepressants with actual evidence and studies supporting their efficacy. Not saying "studies" means absolute just that I dont want people to be confused.

I carried a watermelon?

Old 09-13-17, 12:27 PM

Thanked 23,885 Times in 11,055 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Legit question:
Apparently he does.

Some of his education was at Oral Roberts University in Tulsa OK. I wonder if
that's where he learned to chase the money. My opinion of Oral Roberts himself
would earn me an infraction if written about here.

Aside from my personal opinion, none of the national medical organizations
validate Amen's claims: not the American Psychiatric Association (APA), or the
National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), The American College of Radiology,
the Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, or the National Alliance
on Mental Illness (NAMI).

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (09-13-17), sarahsweets (09-13-17)
Old 09-13-17, 02:19 PM

PoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Apparently he does.

Some of his education was at Oral Roberts University in Tulsa OK. I wonder if
that's where he learned to chase the money. My opinion of Oral Roberts himself
would earn me an infraction if written about here.

Aside from my personal opinion, none of the national medical organizations
validate Amen's claims: not the American Psychiatric Association (APA), or the
National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), The American College of Radiology,
the Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, or the National Alliance
on Mental Illness (NAMI).
I did a little more research about Amen. He got his medical degree from Oral Roberts University School of Medicine in 1982. The university opened its medical school in 1981 (only a year before Amen got his degree) and then closed it in 1989 due to severe financial difficulties. So it was probably not one of the top ranked medical schools. Amen did his residency in general psychiatry at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, DC and his residency in child and adolescent psychiatry at Tripler Army Medical Center in Honolulu.

Amen is certainly controversial, especially for using SPECT (single photon emission computed tomography) scans to help in making psychiatric diagnoses. The SPECT scan is, according to one article I was reading about Amen, "a relatively inexpensive cousin of PET scanning (positron emission tomography) with lower spatial resolution." The author of this same article calls Amen a "neurohuckster" and quotes Jeffrey Lieberman, a former president of the American Psychiatric Association and chairman of Psychiatry at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons as saying, "In my opinion, what he’s doing is the modern equivalent of phrenology." Phrenology was a popular pseudoscience in the early 19th century that said that a person's mind was determined by the shape of his/her skull, particularly its bumps.

Dr. Charles Parker who has a lot of useful stuff about ADHD at his blog site, CorePsych, has worked with Daniel Amen and is also very interested in doing SPECT scans.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (09-13-17)
Old 09-13-17, 09:05 PM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppnNSailinMan View Post
I did a little more research about Amen. He got his medical degree from Oral Roberts University School of Medicine in 1982. The university opened its medical school in 1981 (only a year before Amen got his degree) and then closed it in 1989 due to severe financial difficulties.
So you can get a full medical degree from a school thats only a year old?

I carried a watermelon?

The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (09-13-17)
Old 09-13-17, 10:58 PM

PoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
So you can get a full medical degree from a school thats only a year old?
I was wondering about that, too, after I posted. Looking back at the Wikipedia article where I got the information, I discovered that I had mixed the dates up between Oral Roberts University School of Medicine which opened in 1978 (or 4 years before Daniel Amen got his medical degree instead of only 1 year before) and the university's City of Faith Medical and Research Center hospital which opened in 1981.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
sarahsweets (09-14-17)