ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Wellbutrin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Wellbutrin (bupropion hcl)

Old 11-14-04, 03:57 AM
ADDvanced Member

blueyemass1979 is on a distinguished road
OK to mix Wellbutrin and other med.?

OK, I'm taking Wellbutrin and it's helping my depression but the effect on my ADHD is mild, to put it mildly So, I need something else, but don't want to jump off the Wellbutrin.

Has anyone taken Wellbutrin and Strattera at the same time? What about Wellbutrin and Adderall?

Note: admittedly I've only been on the Wellbutrin for 3 weeks, which is not very long, and I'm taking it at the lowest dosage. However, I need help with my ADHD NOW, not just in a few months. This is seriously affecting my work and personal life and I don't think just waiting it out (as I've been doing since May) will work anymore. At any rate, taking the two drugs might end up being temporary if the Wellbutrin kicks in.
Old 11-14-04, 05:28 AM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
Yes it is often mixed with other meds. You might try a higher dose of WB first though. In retrospect, I think it does have potential to improve ADD symptoms at higher doses if tolerated, though strattera may be sort of duplicating it you never know.
Old 11-17-04, 09:32 PM

ADD_Ed is on a distinguished road
I take both

Strattera and Wellbutrin with good results. FYI, there is more info on this in some of the threads in the Strattera forum.

According to my doctor, these two meds overlap in their effect on certain neurotransmitters. I also am not sure if I have ADD alone or depression with ADD so perhaps that is a factor in my prescription.

Anyway, it works for me at a dosage of 150mg Wellbutril XL and 80 mg Strattera all taken at once in the morning (with food because the Strattera can upset your stomach).
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-04, 03:17 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

exeter is on a distinguished road
Eh, I was gonna post, but ADD_Ed posted exactly what I would have... right down to the dosages. :P Wellbutrin is good stuff, and is actually prescribed fairly often to counter sexual or sedative side effects of other meds.
Old 11-25-04, 01:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

Wellbutrin + Adderall = less effective?

Now that I'm taking the Adderall again, while still on Wellbutrin, I'm finding it a lot less effective than Adderall alone was. Yet I'm hesitant to jump off the Wellbutrin since I've invested so much time in it, and I might just get a better result by taking more Wellbutrin.

Has anyone else found Wellbutrin can descrease the effectiveness of Adderall? I'm feeling more wired when I take both, and less focused than when I was just taking Adderall.
Old 11-30-04, 11:55 AM
Jr Member

osustudent is on a distinguished road
I am taking both Wellbutrin and Adderall too and it isn't working that great for me either. I am thinking about stopping the Wellbutrin for a while to see how that goes, since I know just wellbutrin doesnt work well enough for me. I posted another thread about adderall side effects. I feel tired and worn out all the time, not at all like an amphetamine should make me feel and it is possible wellbutrin was contributing to, if not causing the problems. Let me know how the wellbutrin/adderall goes, I will post a reply with results if I stop the wellbutrin.
Old 12-22-04, 07:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

did you stop the wellbutrin? I am really wanting to stop it now since it's about 2 months and now whatever little good it was doing seems to have evaporated. I'm still depressed, and I still am wandering all over the house and having trouble focusing. Then again, I AM able to sit still long enough to write this so the hyperactivity isn't so bad.

any advice on tapering off? ok to split the pills?
Old 12-22-04, 08:09 PM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
I was told by the doc that there is no need to taper with wellbutrin, just quit. Strange because it does take time to ramp up but anyways it was no problem quitting for me.
Old 12-30-04, 11:39 PM
ADDvanced Member

kimo is on a distinguished road
Hmmmm, I find this question of Wellbutrin decreasing Adderall effectiveness very interesting. A few weeks ago I remember that I had forgotten to take my Wellbutrin in the morning but had taken the Adderall. I remember that day that the Adderall seemed to work MUCH better that day. But thought it was a coincidence. But I had thought of not taking the Wellbutrin but was afraid of withdrawals. I think I'm going to try that again for the next couple of days and see what happens.

I had stopped taking Lexapro once for a few days and the withdrawal symptoms were not fun at all! Now I completely understand what "brain shivers" are and I don't want to feel that ever again!
Old 12-31-04, 02:27 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Wheezie has disabled reputation
Exclamation i'm not your mother, but...

it is recommended that you taper off wellbutrin slowly in order to avoid withdrawal symptoms.

please talk to your doctor before quitting any meds.

i've also read that discontinuing wellbutrin too abruptly may increase your risk of seizures. (not meant as a scare tactic) this is a small risk and the risk probably increases if you are at higher doses when you stop abruptly.

i started at 150mg XL and am at 300mg now. so, when i go off, i'll taper down to 150mg and stay there for 1-2 weeks, then i'll be done.

i'm pretty cautious though because my symptoms when i started this med were pretty wild, i can imagine they'll be the same when my brain is getting used to their absence.
Old 01-01-05, 09:08 PM

m's mom is on a distinguished road
definitely talk with your doctor before going off a medication. i had wild side effects when i went off wellbutrin, even though i gradually decreased the dose. it felt as though bugs were walking underneath my skin--some kind of nuerological dysfunction, but really no fun. btw, the "withdrawal" side effects went away after about 10 days.
Old 01-20-05, 03:09 AM

hannahsciocia is on a distinguished road
Well, maybe for some of us it's not OK to mix Wellbutrin and Adderall! ;D I'm having the same problems as several of you (tired, less focused than ever) and am tapering down WB in advance of my next dr visit. For details see my reply to blueyemass1979 in the Adderall area (Adderall and Nausea thread, http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12696). I had the same gag reflex but it went away when I decreased WB. I would love it if the Adderall could work as nicely as it did the first few days I took it - at the same time I started it, though, I had also increased WB-XL from 150mg to 300mg, and after about 4 days of Adderall clarity I slowly sunk back into the fog. So my current hypothesis is that for me the WB is wet-blanketing the effects of the Adderall.
Old 01-20-05, 08:26 PM
ADDvanced Member

streetsk8er794 is on a distinguished road
I have the exact same problem guys. I am taking adderall xr 30 mg, and wellbutrin xl 150 mg. I feel completely wired on the two, and I cannot stand it at all. So, I've decided to stop the wellbutrin.