ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-08, 04:32 AM
Contributor

frankfarter has a spectacular aura aboutfrankfarter has a spectacular aura about
why is it better some days and bad some days?

A.D.D? why is it some days i can function fine ( relatively) and some other days it's so bad i can barely function???

i notice it more when im at work, when i have to concentrate and be on point. my co-workers know i have add so sometimes i will say to them todays a bad add day... can i do something else?

if we all have this problem, shouldn't it be the same all across the board? all the time?

Illegitimi non carborundum.
(don't let the *******s grind you down!)
- unknown
The Following User Says Thank You to frankfarter For This Useful Post:
hillzy (10-17-08)
Old 10-12-08, 04:43 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,344 Times in 6,093 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: why is it better some days and bad some days?

Quote:
A.D.D? why is it some days i can function fine ( relatively) and some other days it's so bad i can barely function???
I don't know but my bad ADD days seem to be the same as my bad hair days - I always thought it was humidity or some thing in the air. I also know for me it can be hormonal

Ups and downs happen to me too and I wish I could make it go away and be more consistent. Okay let me clarify I want to be consistently functional because I can already do consistently dysfunctional I think never tried - oh crap

Maybe some one smarter than me will come along and we can both find a good answer

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 10-12-08, 04:52 AM
Contributor

olavia has a spectacular aura aboutolavia has a spectacular aura about

Same problem here.
Drives me nuts.
Especially since I tend to leave things to the last moment.
So then I wake up on a day when I need to finish things
- and find itīs a bad ADD day:-(

Working to find a pattern. I think it could be carry over from the day before. Try think about what you did before the bad day. Or for me just small things will throw the balance, like change in sleep, too much, too little, too much exercise the day before, a common cold..Also I have some good days, I always overdo things to get the most out of it, and end up having a bad day due to exhaustion.
Old 10-12-08, 05:07 AM
Contributor

frankfarter has a spectacular aura aboutfrankfarter has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Working to find a pattern.
it seems more than that... like my brain works against me some days more than others...

Illegitimi non carborundum.
(don't let the *******s grind you down!)
- unknown
Old 10-12-08, 07:07 AM
ADDvanced Member

ArtfulDodger will become famous soon enough

I often wonder this too. The fluctuations suggest there is some variable (or several) able to make it better or worse, and it would really help to know what that is! Some days I'm able to sit down and work all day (albeit fighting distractions and getting half as much done as anyone else would in that time) and some days I just seem to switch off, am incapable of doing anything, and find myself at bedtime wondering what it was I did today.

It's true that it's pretty disastrous when everything is left to the last minute and the last minute ends up being a bad day. I've been there too.

I'm currently trying to experiment with diet a bit, but I have yet to discover anything. It's an important question, I think.
Old 10-12-08, 08:33 AM
Jr Member

thomash is on a distinguished road

I seem to have more trouble at times when I have several partially-completed projects that require me to "buckle down" and finish out final details. All my mental energy has been spent at this point and I'm ready to move on to the next thing. I can't, however, because I have several 95% complete items which don't count for anything except what I learned working on them.

In contrast, when I'm at the start of a new project, I'm brainstorming, thinking about the million ways to complete the project, and generally more excited about working.

There are also obviously bad days when I'm thinking too much about some situation elsewhere that's not going right, but I think that's pretty normal for anyone once in a while.
Old 10-12-08, 08:33 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

headsamess is a jewel in the roughheadsamess is a jewel in the roughheadsamess is a jewel in the rough

I find it depends on how enjoyable and stimulating the day pans out, but that potential is then impeded with on-going worries, arguments, moods, inconsistent intake of coffee and cigs; and natural fluctuations.
Old 10-17-08, 02:27 PM
ADDvanced Member

pbsc7 is on a distinguished road

This is the $10 million question. I have no idea as to an answer. It's part of the disease and a big reason we suffer.
Old 10-17-08, 02:30 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomash View Post
I seem to have more trouble at times when I have several partially-completed projects that require me to "buckle down" and finish out final details. All my mental energy has been spent at this point and I'm ready to move on to the next thing. I can't, however, because I have several 95% complete items which don't count for anything except what I learned working on them.

In contrast, when I'm at the start of a new project, I'm brainstorming, thinking about the million ways to complete the project, and generally more excited about working.

There are also obviously bad days when I'm thinking too much about some situation elsewhere that's not going right, but I think that's pretty normal for anyone once in a while.
Nicely put. I, too, find the brainstorming phase of the project to be the most stimulating, enjoyable, and rewarding. The challenge of course is to get through that phase and into completion. This is the struggle for me and so many of us.
Old 10-17-08, 02:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

akko will become famous soon enough

I was just thinking about that. I have no clue why that happens. Some days I can suddenly do a task relatively effortlessly, when the same task has been impossibly hard for months! Like cleaning my apartment- every 2 years or so it's like the planets align or something and I'm suddenly able to clean up my mess of an apartment without much mental stress. I have to take advantage of that window as much as possible because it doesn't come very often. I've just finished it my big cleanup actually- now I hope the meds will let me figure out how to keep it that way!
Old 10-17-08, 02:39 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akko View Post
I was just thinking about that. I have no clue why that happens. Some days I can suddenly do a task relatively effortlessly, when the same task has been impossibly hard for months! Like cleaning my apartment- every 2 years or so it's like the planets align or something and I'm suddenly able to clean up my mess of an apartment without much mental stress. I have to take advantage of that window as much as possible because it doesn't come very often. I've just finished it my big cleanup actually- now I hope the meds will let me figure out how to keep it that way!
BIG SMILE

Last edited by pbsc7; 10-17-08 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: i used keyboard characters that caused the post to not show up
Old 10-17-08, 02:58 PM
Forum Guru

meriellyn has a spectacular aura aboutmeriellyn has a spectacular aura about

I just aim for more good than bad. I have too many "misfiring" spots in my brain to predict how I'll be tomorrow or expect total consistency. I'm just shooting for "usually." Lol.
Before I know what it will say

- "Crooked Teeth" ~ Deathcab for Cutie

Old 10-17-08, 03:08 PM
Forum Guru

johnny s. has a spectacular aura aboutjohnny s. has a spectacular aura about

I think that when we have a really bad day, or a lot of sorta bad days, it really motivates us to try to have a good day.

then we have a good day & lose our motivation.

there's also a lot of other things that affect brain chemestry, like diet, exercise, sleep..... some would even say astrology!
Old 10-17-08, 06:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

akko will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny s. View Post
I think that when we have a really bad day, or a lot of sorta bad days, it really motivates us to try to have a good day.

then we have a good day & lose our motivation.
Really? I find it's usually the opposite. I function a lot on momentum in every aspect of my life. It's getting the ball rolling that's the hardest. When I have a good day, I start having more good days, but if something happens and I have a bad day, I can spend a lot of days in ADD purgatory before I get myself out again. I'm talking mostly about my mood and attitude here though. I haven't found a way yet to control or predict my ADD behaviours. They're very erratic! But I can handle things so much better when I'm in a good, energetic mood.
The Following User Says Thank You to akko For This Useful Post:
ArtfulDodger (10-18-08)
Old 10-18-08, 10:12 AM
ADDvanced Member

ArtfulDodger will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by akko View Post
Really? I find it's usually the opposite. I function a lot on momentum in every aspect of my life. It's getting the ball rolling that's the hardest. When I have a good day, I start having more good days, but if something happens and I have a bad day, I can spend a lot of days in ADD purgatory before I get myself out again. I'm talking mostly about my mood and attitude here though. I haven't found a way yet to control or predict my ADD behaviours. They're very erratic! But I can handle things so much better when I'm in a good, energetic mood.
It's just like this for me too. When I manage to finish or achieve something, my mood and confidence improves and I'm often able to keep going and achieve more things. I inevitably crash into something after a while - a bad ADD day, a life event that holds me up, or just not managing to follow through on something - and get confused/depressed/motivation-less again. I need to achieve something I can look at and say "I did that" every day, or my momentum is gone. It's a constant up-down cycle, though I am trying to improve matters with exercise/diet and seem to be able to climb a little higher with the getting things done each time, so I have hope. I really hope meds will enable me to stay on top of it on a more long-term basis.