ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 08-04-09, 07:48 PM

Dispatches has a spectacular aura aboutDispatches has a spectacular aura about
Left arm discomfort started 13 days after starting Vyvanse.

I am a 23 year old Male. 6'1, 155lbs.
I started Vyvanse 13 days ago with good results and common side effects(Appetite,Sleep,Occasional Sore muscles and throat). I smoke roughly a 1/2 pack of day and have been for 5 years or so. Never had any heart conditions that I am aware of. About 2 years ago there was a full year where I had frequent Auto-immune Urticaria outbreaks(Hell). Then it just up and vanished out of my life about a year ago. I take 4mg Suboxone a day(Been on it 2 years). Blood pressure has always been normal but I cant remember what it was the last time the doctor checked it, 130/80 rings a bell but I am probably wrong. Yesterday morning when I was filling my 50mg Vyvanse script I checked my blood pressure at the pharmacy and it was 135/90 if I recall correctly. Not sure how accurate those machines are. I'm sure my Blood pressure and heart rate have raised a bit since being on the medication.

So last night I was on my computer and I noticed my left armpit felt like it had a knot in it or something, kind of like a charlie horse that doesn't really hurt. Then my left arm and hand started tingling and feeling sorta numbish. My armpit felt kind of tight and like my arm is a little weaker. I hoped it was just a sore muscle or a pinched nerve. Maybe just a symptom that will go away with time.
I spend alot of time on the computer, Never experienced this before last night(CarpalTunnel maybe?). Since I had slept very little the night before and had stayed up pretty late and was a bit sore everywhere I figured I just needed rest. I know how Vyvanse and Adderall tense you up. And when it wears off you might be sore and good rest will sort it out.

I spent more than a few hours last night and today researching these symptoms. I was pretty freaked out last night but after reading some similar stories I relaxed and went to sleep.
I woke up a few hours ago and my arm still felt kind of weird, I am not really sure if it was the same as it was last night but I did notice some discomfort. I got up for not even a minute, took my Vyvanse 50mg and popped my 4mg Suboxone under my tongue and went back to sleep for 1 1/2 hours. So I finally got up and I noticed the symptoms were still there for sure then. Left arm and hand tingling/numbish, knot in left armpit, tight armpit muscles, slightly weak arm. I can bend and flex my arm anywhere but it feels like I am nursing an injured arm when I do anything. I think its just because it feels uncomftorable. Some positions feel more uncomftorable than others.

So I called my Doctors Office(who prescribed me Vyvanse) an hour ago and told them I have been on Vyvanse for 13 days and that these symptoms just started last night. So they told me to wait a few days and see if it goes away. They didnt say to stop taking the Vyvanse, and honestly I really don't want to stop taking it. I am just hoping this goes away with time and I read a few cases where it did. This medication works great for me so far. I fall under most of the categories that diagnose Adult ADD. The doctor recommend me it when I really opened up to her about my life and how I feel.

So in the mean time if anybody has any advice or information about this it would be greatly appreciated, Anyone ever experienced this before?. I am pretty bummed out because I feel like I finally found the medication I need and I am just worried that this is going to mean I cant take Vyvanse anymore. If thats the case so be it, but I want to know for sure before I give up on it.

Also,

If I felt my life was in danger I would go to Urgent care or the ER. Both of which are going to be last resort due to money and poor Health Insurance. If symptoms keep up all through today then I'm not going to take the Vyvanse tomorrow and see how my arm feels. If it goes away I might drink a smaller dose later on that day and see if it comes back.

I have taken Adderall probably 20 times anywhere from 4-5 years ago and it was only on the days I had College. I had great results and very few side effects.
I have a history of addiction to opiates mainly, And also have had a few cocaine binges in the past. I understand the addiction risks with Vyvanse and other prescription stimulants. I am going to give it a month and see how I feel. I don't want to abuse something that I might actually need medically.

Note: I haven't taken any different drugs other than Suboxone. Nothing has changed that might contribute to these symptoms, except Vyvanse.

If you have managed to get this far, I'm sorry for the long post, and thank you for reading. Any help is very much appreciated. This is a great forum with lots of information and good people.
Old 08-04-09, 08:17 PM
Contributor

iggypop is just really niceiggypop is just really niceiggypop is just really niceiggypop is just really nice
Re: Left arm discomfort started 13 days after starting Vyvanse.

HEY relax you need and listen to your dr. it seems scary but you sound fine.stop the med and see ......the ER is expensive($500.00) and i have been in the same situation .
Old 08-04-09, 08:38 PM
ADDvanced Member

KillZone can only hope to improve

Suboxone? Isn't that for Opiode and Opiate treatment to help wean off and stop withdrawals? Why do you take that?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-09, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillZone View Post
Suboxone? Isn't that for Opioid and Opiate treatment to help wean off and stop withdrawals? Why do you take that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispatches View Post
I have a history of addiction to opiates mainly
I don't blame you for not reading the whole thread. It is way too long.
Old 08-04-09, 10:24 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,016 Times in 671 Posts
pADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to allpADDyjay is a name known to all

what did your doc say about your left arm discomfort?

Is that not a sign of a cardiac event?....not a good one....but Im not a doctor....why not call him/her and find out?
Old 08-04-09, 10:31 PM
Contributor

iggypop is just really niceiggypop is just really niceiggypop is just really niceiggypop is just really nice

So I called my Doctors Office(who prescribed me Vyvanse) an hour ago and told them I have been on Vyvanse for 13 days and that these symptoms just started last night. So they told me to wait a few days and see if it goes away. They didnt say to stop taking the Vyvanse, and honestly I really don't want to stop taking it. I am just hoping this goes away with time and I read a few cases where it did. This medication works great for me so far. I fall under most of the categories that diagnose Adult ADD. The doctor recommend me it when I really opened up to her about my life and how I feel.

HE DID
Old 08-05-09, 12:32 AM

Here's another ridiculously long post, turn back now.

I'm pretty sure I am just going to stop taking Vyvanse for good. I don't see what other choice I have if its going to make my arm feel like this. Its getting pretty irritating at this point. Its either starting to hurt or I just cant get my mind off it.

I'm sure the alternatives will produce the same side effect. And besides that I'm really not so sure they would prescribe me anything but Vyvanse anyways. I asked for Adderall XR because I read that it would be much cheaper, and I almost got it. But the Doctor said it was more abusable than Vyvanse and the price was actually the same when they called my insurance. My Doctor preferred that I take Vyvanse(Rightly so given my history), And I didn't really care either way. I was happy I had been diagnosed with something that made sense to me and the way my lifestyle has been for the past 5 years. I was really happy I had found a medication that allowed me to live how I have always wanted to. Not to mention what would be a great oppurtunity for me to try and get off Suboxone, which I have struggled and failed to do several times.

I gotta be honest tho, the last 6 days or so on Vyvanse haven't been what I expected or what I experienced the first week. I must have just expected the "what I now realize was" euphoria that I got in the first few days. But to tell you the truth I didn't even think I was high at the time, I thought that's just how the meds would be all the time. I must have completely fooled myself. Maybe today is the biggest let down because my arm is upsetting me. The days before today weren't bad days. I did feel better, but it wasn't what I expected.

It seems to me that the 50mg dose I take wears off in a matter of 4 hours now. I told that to my Doctor when I was taking 30mg and she bumped me up to 50mgs a few days ago. But I cant even tell a difference between them. I have only taken Vyvanse for 2 weeks and it already feels like my tolerance is really high. Before I got put on Vyvanse I hadn't taken a stimulant like Adderall in 4 years. Either it is a really weak medication or I am just expecting it to be something it isn't or who knows.

Either way all the assumptions I make right now are pointless. All I can do is wait it out and see how it goes. The Vyvanse I took earlier has long worn off and I have only been awake for 7 hours. I typically stay awake for 16 hours a day, sometimes more, rarely less. Even if by some miracle my "arm problem" goes away and I can still take Vyvanse, I really dont see this medication working for me. I would have to take 2 doses a day of at least 50mg to get it to last 12 hours effectively(Moreconjecture), And I doubt thats reccommended. I'm running out of options until I make some more money(Unemployed). I cant keep running back and forth to the Doctor to find the right medication for me. It costs me too much money.

I revised this post for errors and couldn't help but notice the drastic change in my personality from the original post I made 4 1/2 hours ago while the Vyvanse was working, to this post right here.
Old 08-05-09, 12:34 AM

Thanks for the feedback Iggy. Very much appreciated.
Old 08-05-09, 03:05 PM

Well I see my thread was moved to one with no traffic. Thanks a lot

I don't see any point to continue this thread.
Old 08-05-09, 08:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

KillZone can only hope to improve

Quote:
I don't blame you for not reading the whole thread. It is way too long.
Uhhh.... Sorry for not reading.
Old 08-06-09, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Well I see my thread was moved to one with no traffic. Thanks a lot

I don't see any point to continue this thread.
Disregard this post please.

I was pretty upset at the time. The littlest of things tend to set me off when I am not medicated. Especially if I have a bunch of other issues that are bothering me. Like my arm.

I didn't take my Vyvanse all day yesterday to see if my arm still felt uncomfortable. Well it did, and the whole day was pretty miserable. It further increased my apprehension and left me pretty cranky. My mother suggested I take some Prednisone for my Auto-Immune Urticaria that I have/had in the past. She was thinking maybe I was having a type of swelling I never had before. So I did and it didnt help. I was hoping when I woke up this morning it would feel better.

Well I woke up and its still bothering me. I hadnt taken any Vyvanse in about 36 hours and my arm felt the same. So I dont know if the issue is related to the Vyvanse or not, I hope to find out today or tomorrow.

I took my Vyvanse today, The Doctor never told me to stop taking it and my mother suggested I should continue taking it. I have been keeping her updated on everything thats been going on.

So I waited a few days like the Doctor told me to, So I am going to call them today and tell them whats going on. How I stopped taking Vyvanse for a day and how my arm irritation never let up and everything else. I am hoping to squeeze in an appointment sometime in the late afternoon either today or tomorrow.

I'll keep this updated with whats going on. I hope to get some answers for the people who might have a similar issue like this in the future.
Just talking to my Doctor is never enough for myself personally. For the most part I do trust my Doctors, but I always research my symptoms and any medication I am prescribed. I like to hear experiences, and opinions from other Doctors and the patients themselves.
Old 08-06-09, 02:58 PM

Well I have been up and down emotionally the past few weeks, if it wasn't for my arm things would of gone much much smoother. It's really made me pretty upset, but you would know that if you have been reading this thread. I'm not going to fret on it.

I posted quite a bit of new information in another thread that I would like to post here. I don't feel like typing it all out again, so I am just going to copy and paste it here. I made a few edits to make it more relevant to this thread.
Quote:
"I noticed today just how much I have leveled off on Vyvanse. Today is my 15th day on Vyvanse. I get no euphoria or that rush/speedy feeling. Both of which I had in the first 4 or 5 days and mildly for a few days after. Overall I feel much better today.
My appetite has slowly been getting better. I don't recall what I weighed before I started taking Vyvanse unfortunately. But I would guess around 158lbs(I'm 6'1). I weighed myself after the first week on Vyvanse and I weighed 154lbs. I have never weighed over 165lbs at anytime in my life. Today I weighed 156lbs.
I have always had a good appetite before I started Vyvanse. I only ate one meal a day but that's because of being lazy. I ate a lot of snacks and small meals, Both healthy and unhealthy.
The first week on Vyvanse I had to force myself to eat a meal. I would eat a few things a day like pudding, string cheese, yogurt, or a few scoops of ice cream. As for my "meal" it would typically be something like a hot dog w/bun, a taco w/salsa, a bratwurst w/bun, or a bacon sandwich. Most of the time I would finish it but not always. So basically 2-3 small snacks and a small meal everyday.
Now I actually feel hungry sometimes. At the rate I am going today I will have eaten twice as much or more than I did the first week.

Most of my ADD symptoms seem to be gone today. One thing about today is that I find myself to be kind of irritable. But I am taking care of a 3 year old today and that is to be expected, it takes a lot of patience, that I do have.
I have also been dealing with numbness and irritation in my left arm for 3 1/2 days now, which has caused me a lot of apprehension. I'm either getting use to it or its going away. Emotionally I feel much better about it today."
Well my arm irritation isn't going away. I am definitely getting use to it, but I don't want to ignore it. I want to follow through with what my Doctor recommended.
So not too long after I posted whats in the quotations I called my Doctor and went through everything with her again. She said that its a very weird side effect to have, Especially since it started happening 13 days after I started taking Vyvanse. She was reluctant to tell me to stop taking it, because of how well I have been doing on it. So she told me to stop taking it and to call her on Monday.

So today just might be my last day on Vyvanse, but its too early to say. Vyvanse might not even be whats causing this. I could have a pinched nerve from all the time I have spent on my computer. Who knows.

So back to the old lazy me for friday and the weekend. I will probably watch a lot of movies. If anything changes I will be sure to post an update. When the issue with my arm is taken care of we will likely try some other type of medication if we have to. I'm not giving up on Vyvanse yet.

Hopefully it all works out, I'm hoping to stay optimistic throughout the situation. Thanks for reading.
Old 08-06-09, 08:14 PM

I think I might have Carpal Tunnel. I need to lay off the massive amounts of typing I've been doing the past couple weeks. This would be rather comical
Old 08-20-09, 08:09 PM

This happened a few weeks ago, I just haven't gotten around to posting it over here.

August 9th 2009.

"Well I just got home from the ER . Ive been on a new medication called Vyvanse for 3 weeks. It contricts blood vessels and makes you pee a lot more. This caused me to become dehydrated quickly over the past few days. I was drinking a ton of milk, but should of been drinking water.

I was watching TV and I got out of bed quickly to use the bathroom. I felt some strange feeling in my chest, when I got in the bathroom I got light headed so I turned right around and laid down in my bed. I laid there for a few minutes with my hand on my phone wondering if I was having a heart attack. I tried breathing deep and coughing but nothing helped it. It felt like my heart was beating very fast and very weak(it was). My chest was numb, I was light headed, and my heart had a burning sensation. I sat up for a few seconds and my heart surged hard and fast, making me feel very light headed. I stood up and I nearly passed out. I was experiencing Tachycardia, but I didn't know that at the time. Throughout all of this I remained very calm. Panic only makes things worse. I called my mom and told her to come upstairs right away. I was partially incoherent, I couldn't speak properly. It took me a long time to get to the car, If I walked too fast I would certainly pass out. The car ride was terrifying. My moms driving has always drove me nuts. But the light headed feeling was making any sudden jerks scary as ****. She slowed down when she noticed me starting to lose my calm.

A test at the ER revealed that while standing up my heart rate almost doubled(125bpm) and my Blood Pressure dropped to 100/60 causing a massive head rush.
This is what I was experiencing:
"The body has several feedback mechanisms to maintain adequate blood flow and blood pressure. If blood pressure decreases, the heart beats faster in an attempt to raise it. This is called reflex tachycardia. This can happen in response to a decrease in blood volume (through dehydration or bleeding), or an unexpected change in blood flow."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachycardia

I got loads of different tests done at the ER. And everything looks great, My heart is fine! After my body consumed 2 IV bags, I was free to go.

The Doctors checked my arm and believe it to be Carpal Tunnel.

Stay hydrated ffs! What a crazy day
The Following User Says Thank You to Dispatches For This Useful Post:
FrazzleDazzle (08-22-09)
Old 08-20-09, 08:18 PM

Its quite comical that my search to figure out what was happening to my arm only further contributed to the problem I was experiencing(CTS) Doh

It appears that I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome after multiple Doctors at the ER checked it out. I'm not sure if Vyvanse caused it or not. I'm sure the fact that I was typing more on the med contributed. But as far as tensing muscles or something else adding to the cause, I will never know for sure. I am going to see a Doctor about the CTS soon.

The fact that I was Dehydrated was my fault. Vyvanse does make you dehydrated faster but I should have known that. And I should have been drinking LOTS of water like I do now.

I continued to take the Vyvanse after the dehydration but I was also having a lot of other problems with Vyvanse. I posted about it in another thread and I am going to copy and paste them here.

"I just started Adderall IR 20mg(pink-cor135) twice daily today. I wanted XR, but due to my insurance, and tight wallet, my Doctor reccommended IR instead. She warned me about the risks involved and such, and I decided I felt that it was worth taking the risk.
They only cost me 39$ for 60 of them w/o insurance covering it. I couldn't believe it, That seems like such a good deal. And I don't even have to deal with my damn insurance company!

I had been taking Vyvanse for 3-4 weeks. Once I leveled off on Vyvanse it was very inconsistent for me on a day to day basis. Some days it worked and other days I couldn't even tell that I had taken it. It got to the point where it just wasn't helping me anymore. Most of my ADD symptoms were still present on 50mg Vyvanse. I also had alot of bad side effects. One day I thought to myself "Why am I even taking this anymore? Its not helping my symptoms, and I am having to deal with these side effects". So I stopped taking it and flushed the rest of it down the toliet. I don't hang on to the medications I'm certain I wont need again, I throw them away. So I made another Doctors appointment and took a 5 day break off the stims.

Now I'm just hoping this stuff(adderall) works out better than Vyvanse did. I'm going to give it a few weeks before I make any comments about it. By then I should be leveled off. And at that point I think I can expect the same results day after day."

Thats going to conclude this thread unless somebody has any questions.

STAY HYDRATED ON STIMULANTS! Tachycardia isn't any fun! let my experience teach you to slam down lots of water(but not too much).

If you spend long periods of time on the Computer give yourself many breaks and flex and stretch your hands! The most important part is good posture which I didn't have on my computer chair. CTS can happen to anyone, and its more painful than you could imagine!