ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 03-09-10, 08:09 AM

kitkatt is on a distinguished road
Concerta - Can you skip days?

Hey boards,

I figured I would ask advice here while I wait for the doctor to get back to me. (which could be days)
Yesterday the doctor put me on 18mg of concerta.

I had been on adderall and adderall xr in the past but eventually got back side effects and had to go off of it (circulation problems in fingers and toes - raynauds type)

With the adderall (and XR) I was able to take it the days I needed it (working, and in school) but not take it on the days I was doing nothing (weekends etc)

I am not sure if I can do that with the concerta. Do you have to take it like clockwork each day, or can you just take it on the days you need it?

I took my first dose about 2 hours ago and I can definitely feel it in my system but so far its not really doing much for me. The addrerall gave me a much bigger change. Could just be that its such a low starter dose. We will have to see. The only side effect I feel so far is a loss of appetite and a slight nausea feeling. But I got that with the adderall also.

Thanks in advance to whoever lets me know about skipping days or taking it everyday.
Old 03-11-10, 01:26 AM

Neblek is on a distinguished road
Re: Concerta - Can you skip days?

My doc told me not to...I myself wanted to not take them on the weekends but you cant do it.... he told me to keep it in my system.
Old 03-11-10, 05:25 PM

Location: Body: Idaho, USA/ Mind: In a Fantsy World You Claim Doesn't Exist
Phyra is on a distinguished road

My doctor told me to go ahead and take breaks. I'm in college and only take it really Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, when I have long class days. Sometimes on Tuesday and Thursday. Rarely on the weekend. I was up to 54 for a while there, but have dropped down to 36 because I felt it was too much. On these higher doses I find that if I go more than two days without taking it, I have nasty side effects the day I go back on it. So I can easily skip the weekend, but after an extended weekend I get a nasty withdrawl headache. I'm migraine prone though, and some people don't deal with this.

My doctor encouraged me to go weekends and holidays without it though, which I was happy to do. I'm having a hard time getting used to it again after taking 6 weeks off over Christmas.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-10, 06:00 PM

Ravenlock is on a distinguished road

Yes, as with all stimulants you can skip days if you are so inclined to. There is no "buildup" in your system like SSRI's require. You take it and it works, if you don't take it nothing will happen. You can do exactly what you did with the Adderall XR.

18 is the lowest dose of Concerta so that might be while you don't feel as much focus.
Old 03-11-10, 09:58 PM

Yeah, where dosage is concerned, 18 mg is pretty low. It's generally considered a starter dose, or what they would give children. I'm only 100 lbs myself and found the best concentration on 54 mg, though the side effects were excessive. 36 or 54 seems to be the most effective dose for most adults, though some take 72 mg. My doctor did build me up though. I spent a week or two on 18 before bumping up to 36, then a couple weeks on 36 before bumping up to 54. You may need to play with the dose to find the best fit.

The side effect of nausea and suppressed appetite is something that will probably never go away. The best thing you can do is have a good breakfast and take your pill on a full stomach.
Old 03-11-10, 11:01 PM

Lowell Mather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neblek View Post
My doc told me not to...I myself wanted to not take them on the weekends but you cant do it.... he told me to keep it in my system.
I found it much better to take days off; my doctor agreed. I only used it on days that I needed to focus.
Old 03-13-10, 06:37 PM

kitkatt is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone. My doc did get back to me and said YES I can skip days.
Just like I did with adderall.

18mg is just the starter dose. I think he will up it the next time I go back.
It isn't working for me the same way the adderall did, but I do feel a bit more focused then without it.

The loss of appetite passed already. could be due to the low dose?
Old 03-14-10, 11:36 PM

What I found with concerta is that any dose "works" when you first go on it, but after a few days the effects start to diminish as your body becomes accustomed to it. You'll know when you've hit your ideal dose when you've been on it a week or two and the effects don't die off.