ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 04-03-17, 09:53 AM
ADDvanced Member

ajaxblu has a spectacular aura aboutajaxblu has a spectacular aura about
TV and other background noise...

Is this a typical ADHD annoyance for most people? Has anyone here found a way they can share to resolve that constant battle at home?

What I'm talking about:
When it's just the kids and me, the tv is rarely on. I don't like it on unless there's something specific I want to watch (& then I want everyone to be quiet and not talk to me while it's on, then tv off when it's done)... and my kids don't watch tv often either.

My husband is a different story. As soon as he gets up in the morning or gets home from work, he turns it on and it's on till he goes to bed, whether or not he's watching it. He's often surfing the net on his kindle while it's on, not even watching the tv. I understand it came from his upbringing - my own parents did the same thing.

This has been a constant fight between us throughout the years. I never knew why it distracted me so much when it doesn't seem to bother others but now that I've been diagnosed with ADHD, I'm guessing this is a common issue for ADHDers.

I've always believed he's OCD or slightly ADHD... something.... due to several things he does, so when he told me a few months back that when the tv is not on he feels like he has to get up and go do something and can't relax, I could relate to how that stuff can affect someone and I felt guilty to take that away from him. Also, he often works long, physically demanding hard hours so he just wants to crash on the couch with the tv when he gets home. (not that I don't also work full time)

But my ADHD daughter and I both have trouble concentrating while he has that tv on and it stresses me out in particular.

Does anyone here have a similar issue? If so, how did you solve it?
The Following User Says Thank You to ajaxblu For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (04-06-17)
Old 04-03-17, 11:33 AM
Contributor

TangledWebs is just really niceTangledWebs is just really niceTangledWebs is just really niceTangledWebs is just really nice
Re: TV and other background noise...

Yes, I have been right there with you! Wireless TV headphones solved our problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to TangledWebs For This Useful Post:
ajaxblu (04-04-17)
Old 04-03-17, 11:50 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,718 Times in 12,447 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

My dad has always got either the radio or the tv on. Seriously always. I never used to bother me till this year when I was worried that the cost any background noise might affect my little girl. Wgat really used to infuriate me was that he switches on the TV or music and then falls asleep pretty much all day long (in all fairness he never minded if I asked him to.switch it off but i often felt too guilty to do that).

I was also going to suggest headphones. Hubby also likes to relax whole watching TV but these days he normally watches everything with his headphones and on his phone
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
ajaxblu (04-04-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-17, 02:27 PM
Zen moderator

Thanked 25,314 Times in 12,438 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the opposite, I need the background noise to concentrate...tv or radio, all the time
if my colleagues are away I stream a classical music station.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-10-17), ajaxblu (04-04-17), Lunacie (04-06-17)
Old 04-03-17, 05:06 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,942 Times in 9,008 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

ajaxblu: I'm like you. My wife is even more so.

TV has been off for three years, except when one or the other of us really wants to watch a certain thing.

IMO the issue in your post isn't even the real issue for you and your husband; I think developing a compromise that makes everyone in your house say "OK, good enough" is what's needed, and that in your house the reasons aren't necessarily that important - except as being interested in learning about each other, which of course is good in itself.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
ajaxblu (04-04-17)
Old 04-04-17, 04:35 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,085 Times in 12,630 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know why, but I love the radio on but not the TV.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
ajaxblu (04-04-17)
Old 04-04-17, 08:16 AM
ADDvanced Member

ajaxblu has a spectacular aura aboutajaxblu has a spectacular aura about

Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdnvwls View Post

IMO the issue in your post isn't even the real issue for you and your husband; I think developing a compromise that makes everyone in your house say "OK, good enough" is what's needed, and that in your house the reasons aren't necessarily that important - except as being interested in learning about each other, which of course is good in itself.

Excellent point.
Old 04-06-17, 12:04 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Cyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond repute

Besides ADHD, I'very got hypersensitivity and some auditory processing issues.

My roommate, who used to be my romantic partner, is definitely NOT hypersensitive. I figure he'said a bit HYPOsensitive, but maybe he just seems like it relative to me. Anyway, like your husband, he will have video playing at all times. Like, he'll be playing a video game on one device and have a YouTube video blaring on something else, sometimes a third device with something else.

Our main solution was to spend lots of time in different rooms. Not sure if that's a good idea for you though. Besides that, roommate mutes the video when I'm trying to say something, since I can't talk when speech is happening.

You might look into the "highly sensitive person" concept (versus sensory seeking) to see if there's any tips from that angle.
Old 04-07-17, 06:38 PM

Sunflower009 has a spectacular aura aboutSunflower009 has a spectacular aura about

Yup, I absolutely have that problem! If there are TVs in a restaraunt (like a sports bar) I do my best to sit where I can't see them. If I can see even a tiny bit of the screen I won't be able to follow the conversation the entire night. Even if the program is somthing I am not at all interested in... (like sports!) and even if the sound is off, it makes no difference.

BTW I have ADHD but am not on medication, I think that might make a difference for me.

Fortunately at home my husband also watches TV on his computer with the headphones on.
Old 04-08-17, 07:34 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,806 Times in 1,147 Posts
Pilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud ofPilgrim has much to be proud of

When I'm at home I'm comfortable with the fan on. I can't sleep if it's not on.
Old 04-10-17, 01:05 PM

Yoshiyama is on a distinguished road

I actually am the opposite of you. As soon as I come home, I turn the TV on & it usually stays on till I go to bed. I need the background noise. I will at times have the TV on, be on the laptop on the internet & also have my tablet out with a kindle book open. Of course, my meds are usually wearing off by that point in the evening, so my thoughts are jumping around. Once a commercial comes on, I'm on the computer or reading the book, then back to the show when it is back on. The TV also helps drown out the noise from outside the house (kids playing & screaming across the street & dogs barking etc)
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshiyama For This Useful Post:
stef (04-10-17)
Old 04-21-17, 01:22 AM

DorianGrayII is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
I'm the opposite, I need the background noise to concentrate...tv or radio, all the time
if my colleagues are away I stream a classical music station.
I am the same way. I need background noise to sleep, concentrate, work...etc.

At night, I usually put on a recorded program (like a season of Daredevil, The Expanse, Gotham, WestWorld, etc...)