ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Recipes
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Recipes Easy recipes for the ADDer & ADD Family

Old 01-19-09, 09:18 PM
Forum Guru

INaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of light
ADHD easy-to-make RECIPES wanted!!

I noticed there's a lot of diet talk lately and couldn't help but recognize my slip-ups. Although we've been pretty good at elliminating our "trigger" foods, I haven't exactly been including enough protein in our diets. I hate cooking. That's the problem. I'm a lazy chef and have surrendered to a lot of pasta dishes this winter and I KNOW it's not helping us any.

Sooo, does anyone have any good ADHD-diet recipes to share?

I came across this recipe I want to try:

Spinach Soup
1lb baby spinach
2 cloves garlic
1 cup onion
1/4 cup celery
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cups veg stock
1 cup rice milk
pinch of salt

combine ingredients

question: im concerned with the "veg stock". What can i use instead that is "safe"?

PLEASE ADD TO THIS LIST! Keep it simple.
Old 01-19-09, 09:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,634 Times in 884 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of
Re: ADHD easy-to-make RECIPES wanted!!

InABox, I just acquired a little hardly-used George Forman grill at my Goodwill (for 4.00 YAY), and I am LOVING it. I just have to remember to buy veggies at the store, and I can make things I would not usually eat. You can get pre-cut chicken breasts to just thaw and grill in just a few minutes, or pre-fabbed burgers (turkey and garden burgers too). I did slices of eggplant, onions (YUM), bell peppers beforehand in a little olive oil, very easy, simple, fast, and different. Totally doable. I hate recipes!

I also love simple lunches or alone dinners like a 1/3 can of refried beans, salsa, cheese, avacado, onions, and layer it in a little dish for myself with some chips.

Oh, for veg stock (why do you say is it safe?) could you use canned veggie water that you would just drain away? I do that and freeze it for later if I need to. Or, just use water or add a little bouillion to it for extra flavor.
The Following User Says Thank You to FrazzleDazzle For This Useful Post:
INaBOX (01-19-09)
Old 01-19-09, 09:48 PM
Forum Guru

INaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of lightINaBOX is a glorious beacon of light

i hate recipes too. ok. im not looking for recipes, per say. im looking for food ideas. for example at lunch, i was eating a lot of tuna/avocado salads (lots of pepper and sesame seeds and sometimes on toast) until i got so sick of it. then i started eating a lot of hummus with crackers. i just need new ideas. we dont eat enough fruits/vegetables. we use to. i'll need to dig out my crock pot again. i use to put all sorts of things in there that was healthy.

i dont have a george forman grill. i do have a grill though but it sucks. i find it takes forever for the chicken to grill!! im a one-pot kinda gal LOL whether it's my crock-pot or frying pan. luckily i dont use oil to fry with so it's relatively healthy.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-09, 09:50 PM

Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,010 Posts
Driver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by INaBOX View Post
question: im concerned with the "veg stock". What can i use instead that is "safe"?
Define safe? For me, I have a hard time with beef/chicken/veg stocks because I'm gluten-intolerant (hence, no wheat). A lot of the powdered stocks have wheat in the them. I have more luck with the cartons of liquid stock - but they're more expensive (but they don't require pre-making/mixing beforehand).

As for your recipes. My easies include: omelets and fritattas, spaghetti (I have a great family recipe that's been handed down - it's simple and great), tinned/jar pasta-bakes (I use tinned tuna, so you just cook pasta, mix, cover with cheese, bake for 15mins).
Old 01-19-09, 09:57 PM
Forum Guru

i forgot to mention .. i say "safe" because a lot of the broth mixes have preservatives/additives/msg/etc i was checking them out the other day.

pastas are high in carbs though. so isnt that a bad idea? that's basically what we've been eating .. and yes, with canned tuna or salmon too. we need more protein and less carbs .. lol sounds like im trying to lose weight!
Old 01-19-09, 09:58 PM

Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,010 Posts
Driver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by INaBOX View Post
luckily i dont use oil to fry with so it's relatively healthy.
Not all oil is bad, nor all fats. Canola oil is low in saturated fats, but high in monounsaturated and Omega-3 fats (Omega-3 is good for ADD'ers).
Imnapl (01-20-09)
Old 01-19-09, 10:00 PM
Forum Guru

i understand. i actually use water. it's cheaper and there's plenty.
EDIT: I wonder if i can use the omega oils for cooking .. if it'll take away the nutrients.
Old 01-19-09, 10:01 PM

FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of

Olive oil is very healthy too, I think kitchengourmet or whomever that place is has a spray bottle you can get that is suited for oil, and you can just spray a light coating of pure oil on your veggies and broil them in the oven. Like potatoes for home fries. Carbs, but yum. With onions. Yum. Check out the Mediterranean diet. It's highly recommended for heart health, and is probably good for ADHD too.
The Following User Says Thank You to FrazzleDazzle For This Useful Post:
INaBOX (01-19-09)
Old 01-19-09, 10:03 PM
Forum Guru

mediterranean diet .. absolutely. ive actually looked into that once. completely forgot all about it. my only problem is that my son wont eat raw veggies. the med diet consists of a lot of raw veggies, isnt it? i'll have to look it up.

thanks for the reminder.
Old 01-19-09, 10:12 PM

I don't know THAT much about that diet, other than it emphasizes the veggies and the right kinds of oils. Any way you can all get them down is a good thing.

Another easy thing I do to get more fruit in me is to blend them in the morning for round one of breakfast. I blend some almond milk, canned pineapple, egg white powder for some extra protein, a banana, and some coconut and a pinch of salt ~ A pina coloda smoothie. I mix it all the night before and just cut in the banana and blend it in the morning, it's a light way to get going, good brain food, and drinking fruit for me is easier than eating it! LOL! When I drive, I just take it to go. I'm sure the same may be true for veggies and a juicer, but I haven't gone there yet.
Old 01-19-09, 10:44 PM
Forum Guru

i love the fruit smoothy idea. ive tried it with organic carrot juice and rice milk. the only problem with that is that my son won't drink it. picky picky he'll eat just about anything cooked though .. veggies and fruit. i used to cook apples and pears for that reason. i should start again.

what i should do is buy a bunch of veggies .. cut them up and freeze them. that way i dont have to worry about all the prep. i wish J would eat raw veggies though (sigh)

the other problem i have is that there's a lot of produce out there that i dont know how to cook .. or is too scared to try. i tend to stick to the basics: peppers, tomatos, spinach, bokchoy, peas, carrots, lettuce and mushrooms. i dont think ive ever boughten anything beyond that and id like to.
Old 01-19-09, 10:54 PM

Wow, your usual's I've never tried at home - like bokchoy and mushrooms. Kudos, InABox! My usual cooked veggies are carrots and broccoli. My son eats fresh veggies if there is ranch with them, have you seen those little bags of snack carrots? Or he might like carrot slaw (grated carotts and dressing, maybe add some nuts or raisins). Celery and peanut butter? :-)

I'm not sure some fresh veggies freeze well though because of the high water content, you will have mush when you defrost. However, I think if you at least slightly cook them, they are better suited for freezing.
Old 01-19-09, 11:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

RobConcept will become famous soon enough

Hey InABox - I had a look through my recipe collection, and thought you might like these:

Smoked Salmon and Avacado Salad
Serves 4

200g (7oz) Smoked Salmon
1/2 Cucumber skinned and chopped
2-3 scallions, chopped
1 avacado, skinned and sliced
2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
1 package mixed salad leaves
lemon vinaigrette

Lemon Vinaigrette
5 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 clove garlic, minced
salt and freshly groun black pepper

Whisk it together until its well combined. Before you serve it, make sure you shake or stir it.

Directions for recipe
1. Chop the salmon into bite sized pieces.
2. Toss the salmon with scallions and half of the lemon vinaigrette
3. Arrange avacado and Tomato slices on plates. Surround w/ lettuce leaves.
4. Drizzle over remaining Lemon Vinaigrette

Salad Nicoise
Serves 2

1/2 medium red onion
2 tomatoes
2 hardboiled eggs
large handful of green beans
225g (8oz) canned tuna
2 anchovy fillets
handful of black olives
4 tbsp light salad dressing

Directions for recipe
1. Top and tail beans, cut into 2 inches in length and steam until just tender
2. Cut tomatoes and eggs into bite sized chunks. Finely slice onion.
3. Build salad onto plate with all ingredients and drizzle with dressing. You can bulk the sald out with lettuce too.

Fruit Smoothies
Serves 1-2

1 cup vanilla ice cream
1/2 cup milk
Fruit Mixture

Fruit Mixture
Banana and Strawberry
1 Small Banana
8 - 10 fresh strawberries

Apple and Pineapple
100g (3 1/2 oz) Crushed Pineapple
1 apple peeled, cored and roughly chopped

Tropical Delight
1/2 Mango - skinned, stoned and roughly chopped
1 small banana
1 orange
1/2 papaya, peeled and deseeded

Directions for Recipe
1. Put icecream and milk into food processor and add one of fruit mixtures
2. Process until smooth

Hope these help!
FrazzleDazzle (01-19-09), Imnapl (01-20-09), INaBOX (01-19-09), Rebs (01-19-09)
Old 01-19-09, 11:09 PM

Rebs will become famous soon enough

Stock: If you're motivated and have the time, making up a big pot of stock (to freeze for later use) is VERY simple. And fairly ADD proof, too! When I do this (not that often, although I always intend to!) I reduce the stock for a long time, make it extra strong, and then it takes up less space in the freezer. I add water to it when I use it. (You're so right about the canned/boxed broths having lots of unwanted ingredients. There are a few available in the boxes that are 'safe' but, as someone mentioned, they're pricier!)

I've got a bunch of low carb cooking ideas, here are "just some"! =)

Anything you might serve over pasta can be made into a 'stew' and eaten on its own. Just add lots of big chunks of vegetables and/or meat. Mushrooms, squash (zucchini and summer squash are quick-cooking), eggplant, and celery are all very low on the glycemic index. I've heard tell that red radishes, if they're slow cooked for a long time, taste like red potatoes. I haven't tried this yet but plan on it soon!

Some good, quick 'stews' can include any/all of the above vegetables plus sliced smoked turkey sausage, shrimp, chunks of chicken or firm-fleshed fish, chunks of beef (use ground beef if you're not going to do a long-slow cook time).

"White" chili (using ground turkey or chicken) and white beans is really good!

If you have a slow cooker, those can be very handy and VERY conducive to low carb food prep.

Omelets, as Driver said, are good - and quick!

If you have more time, you can use cauliflower to sub for all sorts of carb foods (if you are not too sensitive to that cruciferous taste... it doesn't bother me but some can taste it). Do a google for "faux rice" and "faux mashed potatoes". I've made stir-fried "faux rice" with great success!

If you've not looked into it yet, Shirataki noodles have great potential and are VERY low carb. They don't quite sub perfectly for regular noodles but they're tasty in their own right!

You can make pizza with a 'crust' made out of ground beef or ground turkey.

Lasagna is pretty good if you use thin ribbons of zucchini and/or eggplant instead of the noodles (another one that takes more time, though!)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rebs For This Useful Post:
FrazzleDazzle (01-19-09), Imnapl (01-20-09), INaBOX (01-19-09), RobConcept (01-19-09)
Old 01-19-09, 11:16 PM

Rebs will become famous soon enough

I know this doesn't really fit with your original question about easy low carb cooking ideas, but since you're eating gluten-free, I thought I'd share this in case you'd not tried it! =)

Have you ever heard of the "One Minute Muffin"? These are pretty good - and definitely quick/easy. VERY low carb (the high fiber in the ground flax seed counter-balances the carbs). Just be sure to drink a lot of water if you make the "all flax seed" version, otherwise it has the opposite effect that you'd think!

In a coffee mug, combine until well mixed:
1/4 cup ground flax seed, 1/4 cup ground almond meal, or mixture of the two
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 - 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 - 3 packets of sugar free sweetener (to taste)
1 teaspoon oil or butter (I always skip this and it turns out fine)
1 egg, lightly beaten

Put in microwave for 1 minute. The 'muffin' will rise above the cup, then sink down. (might need to adjust time depending on how strong your microwave is)

Dump out onto plate or bowl. Slice, spread with butter or cream cheese. Very tasty, and there are lots of variations including savory ones.

The best part about this recipe (to me) is that you can mix up the dry ingredients into little resealable plastic bags and keep them on hand - just add egg and you're on your way to a nice treat.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rebs For This Useful Post:
FrazzleDazzle (01-19-09), Imnapl (01-20-09), INaBOX (01-19-09), RobConcept (01-19-09)