ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Exercise
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-04, 10:31 PM
ADDvanced Member

daisyo75 is on a distinguished road
Exercise ideas for inattentive couch(or computer) potatoes like me

Anyone have ideas for an exercise activity that I could acually stick with?

After giving it some though I decided something individual but competitive might work. I doubt that I would do anything that involved interactive or team competition.

Ideas?

I buy all this crazy equipment and then never use it.

My name is Daisy and I have a short atten.... oh look at that shiny rock.
Old 08-24-04, 10:36 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

fasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura aboutfasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura about
let me know when you find the answer.......
Old 01-29-05, 01:02 PM

scatteredblue is on a distinguished road
There are two big things to think about:
1. What activities do you like?
2. What activities have the fewest obstacles.

If you like to go out dancing, then that first factor means that it might not be too hard for you to stick with it, and that would be excellent exercise. And some people like jumping around to tunes right in the house. Walking, if you enjoy it, is pretty good unless you get snowed in or something.

If you watch a lot of TV and are very coordinated, maybe you could put one of those step aerobic platforms in front of the tv and step on and off it while watching. Or maybe find a quiet exercise bike to put in front of the tv and use headphones to listen (if you can't just crank the sound). Use a fan for any of this indoor stuff so you won't be uncomfortably hot. If you're watching TV while exercising, pick an exciting, fast paced, loud show. Obviously, if you like spectator sports like basketball or hockey, those are a good choice. Tour de France time was good for me. But any show with some tension and action helps. If no TV, you may want to crank some energetic tunes that you like to keep energy up.

Some people just love to swim, so that can be a good choice, but only if you really like it. I often like to take long bike rides, although this brings in equipment and weather issues, I've got to put on my helmet, get the bike out of the basement, etc. Pay more attention to your likelihood of consistently doing an exercise (like at LEAST 3 times a week) than to it's ultimate potential in fitness. Moving around is better than not moving around. Start out slow and work your way up so you are more comfortable and less sore.

P.S. I take Adderall for my ADD, and that really makes working out easier. However, I make a point of not pushing to the limit when taking this stuff.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scatteredblue For This Useful Post:
Layla771 (07-28-10), spaceyKP (07-28-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-05, 02:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Ian has disabled reputation
I really like what scatteredblue has said.

I like the comments about what you like to do being important. I started just including the things I do that keep me active. I'd wrestle with the dog for a half hour and count that as exercise. She's a big dog so there was no doubt my heart rate was up.

I went on to splitting some wood and counted that. If I shoveled snow I counted that and pretty soon I was getting more outside time and felt like doing more. I made it my business to dream something active up if I had no work to do. A brisk walk or whatever did the job. By that time several months had past and my wife had begun to be more active.

She weaselled in on my wood splitting and went and stacked all the stuff I was splitting. So there went my next work task. I went on to walking for some better fitness and that's evolved into running. I now run 10 miles a week but it all started by just enjoying my time outside.

Hope you can find a way in. Fun was my doorway into a regular work out.
Cheers! Ian.
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old 07-28-10, 12:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

Layla771 has a spectacular aura aboutLayla771 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Exercise ideas for inattentive couch(or computer) potatoes like me

Great thread!

I think my troubles may have started cause we don't get the good MTV or Viva anymore, and figure ice-skating is only in winter... And the VCR doesn't work anymore

Seriously, I got up'n grooved by the computer reading this, lol! Thanks!
Old 07-28-10, 05:17 PM

spaceyKP has a spectacular aura aboutspaceyKP has a spectacular aura about

I adopted a Beagle without knowing anything about the breed. So now I take a brisk walk for 30 to 60 minutes every day I don't want my house chewed by a bored dog that's full of energy. I get an extra shoulder and leg workout when the dog sees something interesting and tries to drag me down the street. :-)

I'm so bad at motivating myself to exercise and using all the equipment I've bought. So I now stop looking at it as taking a walk to make myself healthier and lose weight. Walking is now a requirement to be a responsible beagle owner and to keep all my books, movies, and furniture from being chewed up and my cats from being chased and slobbered on.
The Following User Says Thank You to spaceyKP For This Useful Post:
Layla771 (09-09-10)
Old 09-28-10, 03:10 AM

holden will become famous soon enough

I've got the perfect solution for you: push-ups. This is the perfect exercise to do throughout the day or whenever you think about it. For example, I try to hit the gym everyday but my work prevents me from doing this sometimes (more and more frequently it seems). In order to ensure I get some physical activity everyday, I use push-ups all the time. I come home for lunch so I'll bust out as many as I can before I fix a sandwich and before I head back to the office.

The point is that you can just drop down and bust out as many push-ups as you can throughout the day. Below are a few tips and guides for doing push-ups in cause you're not familiar with the proper way to do them.

Here's a few links:

Hope this helps.

Last edited by holden; 09-28-10 at 03:16 AM.. Reason: Submitted before finished.
Old 09-28-10, 09:29 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

String has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud ofString has much to be proud of

Along with the great push up advice, try a pull up bar. You can get one for a lot less than a gym membership and it will be a lot more convenient.
Old 09-29-10, 03:04 AM

holden will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by String View Post
Along with the great push up advice, try a pull up bar. You can get one for a lot less than a gym membership and it will be a lot more convenient.
Pull-ups are another option, although not as much "bang for your buck." However, I can't get this video out of my mind:

The Following User Says Thank You to holden For This Useful Post:
String (09-29-10)