ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Exercise
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-16, 10:19 PM

cwf1986 will become famous soon enough
Re: Exercise is my drug

YESSS!!!!

Way back when, lifting is what helped my hyperactivity part of ADHD and kept me from doing a lot of the stupid stuff I was doing that was destroying my life. And I continue it to this day. I get edgy, impulsive in what I say and do, and can't think straight when I go to long without a satisfying lifting session.

I got hooked on lifting weights. I found out I was totally becoming an adrenaline junky which was a lot better than the other kind of junky I was turning into haha.

I love lifting the heavy stuff. Yes! The really heavy stuff!!! Moving the kind of weight for me that makes me shake, makes me hyper focus, makes me angry! It's like committing a great and terrible act of violence without any of the bad consequences. Not that I've ever been violent. I've always tended more towards self-destruction, but that's a different story and water underneath the bridge.

For me, the heavy lifting is like a less intense life or death struggle. It's something I live for.

I remember getting attacked by a german shepard and the funny thing is that I wasn't scared at all. In fact, I loved it. It was a euphoric and exhilarating experience. The energy throughout my body when it dawned on me that it was on was like a bolt of lightning had struck me fueling my mind and every single muscle. The energy felt boundless. Never had I ever been so alert and clear headed. The boundaries between thought, emotion, motivation, fear and rage, and action were completely broken down and melded into one.

Granted I wasn't happy about the grazes it landed or the fact that I know I broke some of its ribs or the fact that its owners were really upset and sad after the fact. I still remember the sad, sad look it gave me as it turned its head back when it finally decided to get away from me That look it gave me was the worst part of it all....

But anyway, during the struggle, I knew my life was in the balance and loved it for some reason. Well, the lifting is a smaller scale version of that for me.
Old 07-25-16, 04:03 PM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,904 Times in 690 Posts
Jacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsoul View Post
i don't like the 'getting really addicted' aspect too.

I tried talking to girls for a while last year and it suddenly became an over-focus on top of all priorities. Because your adhd brain doesn't think of anything else when you are having fun/stimulation.

Now I focus primarily on weight lifting, and yes, I do lose track of time at the gym occasionally but it's better than losing track of time at a bar or cafes.
Bit of a late response, but to explain what I mean with 'getting really addicted'; exercise releases a lot of chemicals in my brain, which gives me an incredible feeling. I feel alive, strong and focused. In fact, for up to a few hours after exercise my focus is a lot better, it feels like the ADHD has gone away for some time. All of these effects make exercise really addicting to me (in a good way).

A second effect that I notice, is that when I am starting to exercise (after not doing it for a while), I have to convince myself to go exercising again, and it is hard to keep running (not taking breaks). As the weeks pass, going exercising shifts from being a chore to being something I really to do, something that I feel that I should do, because my body demands it. When that is the case, I focus on making sure I don't exercise enough (so convincing myself not to exercise instead of the other way around (because I want to be smart and prevent injuries before they occur).

It is different from overfocus, because overfocus usually last a few days or week, while I am able to keep exercising consistently for many months, probably eventually for years.

This drug is not just good for my body, as I described in my OP, it is also good for my mind. I mentioned that is helps me become more focussed. It also helps me become more disciplined, also in other tasks. A small example: I just ran and cycled, and now I feel I want to continue doing things, so I am going to spend some time organizing my home. And many other things that I may have already described or will describe later.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacksper For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (07-25-16)
Old 07-27-16, 03:28 AM
Contributor

TheFitFatty is a name known to allTheFitFatty is a name known to allTheFitFatty is a name known to allTheFitFatty is a name known to allTheFitFatty is a name known to allTheFitFatty is a name known to allTheFitFatty is a name known to all

Before I was diagnosed I used to use the gym as a way to focus. I found one close to work and used to go during my lunch break, because I found after I finished I could focus for a few hours. I'm still exercising all the time, but the meds are better.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-17, 02:04 PM
Jr Member

Kdawg1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksper View Post
Bit of a late response, but to explain what I mean with 'getting really addicted'; exercise releases a lot of chemicals in my brain, which gives me an incredible feeling. I feel alive, strong and focused. In fact, for up to a few hours after exercise my focus is a lot better, it feels like the ADHD has gone away for some time. All of these effects make exercise really addicting to me (in a good way).

A second effect that I notice, is that when I am starting to exercise (after not doing it for a while), I have to convince myself to go exercising again, and it is hard to keep running (not taking breaks). As the weeks pass, going exercising shifts from being a chore to being something I really to do, something that I feel that I should do, because my body demands it. When that is the case, I focus on making sure I don't exercise enough (so convincing myself not to exercise instead of the other way around (because I want to be smart and prevent injuries before they occur).

It is different from overfocus, because overfocus usually last a few days or week, while I am able to keep exercising consistently for many months, probably eventually for years.

This drug is not just good for my body, as I described in my OP, it is also good for my mind. I mentioned that is helps me become more focussed. It also helps me become more disciplined, also in other tasks. A small example: I just ran and cycled, and now I feel I want to continue doing things, so I am going to spend some time organizing my home. And many other things that I may have already described or will describe later.

Hey jacksper,

I understand exactly what you are talking about. About 8 years ago I got into running then triathlons about 6 years ago. When I train I dont feel all lethargic and my mind clears up I was finishing 5k 10k and sprints in the top 3% with really minimal training, I felt alive. But there was a problem I went too hard too fast and got a ton of injuries. And then I started having a bunch of helth issue's I could not do anything anymore its been almost 3 years and I started taking meds ADD is out of control and I now have RA. I am on meds in hope they will work so I can bike and run again I need this in my life again. I stoped the meds mostly and Iv just been lost lately. I'm really starting to question life. Lately Iv been trying to convert my TT bike to a roadbike. I think it may work.
Old 08-15-17, 02:09 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,450 Times in 15,034 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I could not do anything anymore its been almost 3 years and I started taking meds ADD is out of control and I now have RA. I am on meds in hope they will work so I can bike and run again I need this in my life again. I stoped the meds mostly and Iv just been lost lately. I'm really starting to question life. Lately Iv been trying to convert my TT bike to a roadbike. I think it may work.
Wait are you being treated for the adhd or not? Do you mean you stopped adhd meds and started RA meds?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 08-15-17, 04:42 PM

hutchie0109 is on a distinguished road

Exercise, one of the best drugs ever, recently read Natural Born Heroes and Born to Run which lead me to barefoot running, both by Christopher McDougal, and the Paleo Mediterranean diet sugar free, which cured my sugar addiction, I now enjoy food, my other favourite drug.
Old 08-15-17, 05:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,563 Times in 863 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

Pre-diagnoses I was a "gym rat"and I know that my thinking was much clearer and physically, I felt amazing. I primarily did Pilates, Spinning and Weight lifting and loved all of it!

Now that I have more free time, I really should look into going to the gym again....
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

Old 08-15-17, 05:09 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,563 Times in 863 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg1 View Post
Hey jacksper,

I understand exactly what you are talking about. About 8 years ago I got into running then triathlons about 6 years ago. When I train I dont feel all lethargic and my mind clears up I was finishing 5k 10k and sprints in the top 3% with really minimal training, I felt alive. But there was a problem I went too hard too fast and got a ton of injuries. And then I started having a bunch of helth issue's I could not do anything anymore its been almost 3 years and I started taking meds ADD is out of control and I now have RA. I am on meds in hope they will work so I can bike and run again I need this in my life again. I stoped the meds mostly and Iv just been lost lately. I'm really starting to question life. Lately Iv been trying to convert my TT bike to a roadbike. I think it may work.
Swimming, biking or any non-impact exercise is good for RA.

So is Yoga and Pilates (Pilates may look easy but it will kick your butt!)

Also, I am not sure you are on meds for ADHD but I would look into it s it can make a huge difference.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
Kdawg1 (08-16-17)
Old 08-16-17, 08:59 PM
Jr Member

Kdawg1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Wait are you being treated for the adhd or not? Do you mean you stopped adhd meds and started RA meds?
Yes I stoped the ADD meds after I quit my job 3 weeks ago. I was on dex for a year at first it helped then I was just going crazy at work. Im trying a new rheumatoid arthritis med now that I hope works so I can run again
Old 09-10-17, 01:50 AM
Jr Member

Muggy ray is on a distinguished road

Yasssss,

I love lifting weights, and my favorite type of lifting is powerlifting cuz I feel like lifting super heavy weights just gives me a hella adrenaline rush. I do wrestling too and I like that but my favorite sport is definitely weight lifting.
Old 09-10-17, 06:23 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold

I love working out especially lifting weight but i am always in and out 3 months here 2 weeks here fairly random and have a hard time to keep on going.