ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Advocacy, Coaching, Counseling and Practitioner Referrals > United States Referrals > United States - Midwest > Michigan
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-08, 07:39 AM

Stew is on a distinguished road
Re: Roll Call - Michigan Attention Deficit Disorder

Stew's my nick name- aka Mark.

When I first heard of ADD in, oh, the 70's I suppose, I instantly recognized myself from as young an age as I can remember. My mom saved my report cards from elementary school and they are riddled with: Mark is obviously very bright but performs well below his abilities, Mark is often disruptive in class and speaks out of turn, Mark could perform much better if he applied himself, etc. etc,

I never so much as remotely considered any of the ADD type attributes as a negative or limitation and whether some kind of denial or not, grades were irrelevant to me-- I knew what I knew and to hell with their letters and labels. When the issue began making news and described as such a limitation and requiring medication etc. I scoffed.

That is until about 4 years ago when I was faced with losing another job and this time despite my best efforts. I still was not focused on ADD/ADHD but I knew that something had changed cognitively and it was pretty damned frightening- though I kept my fears and recognition of symptoms to myself.

I went the doctor at the time and he diagnosed major depressive disorder and Rx’d Cymbalta. It was an awakening like nothing I could have imagined. I was focused and motivated and happy-- joyful in fact... I saw the potential to return to the high performance that I thought I had lost forever....for the first 3 days or so. Then things settled into better than before, but still very problematic.

I stayed on Cymbalta for a couple years and in the course of that the doc added Concerta-- that made a big improvement, but still, I had serious symptoms that continued to cause problems for me (and my family).

I figured I was in as good shape as I was going to get and for the past couple years have done all I could through force of will to hold down my responsibilities to the family and thought I was functioning "ok" at best.

But in fact I was not and negative consequences of procrastination, lack of motivation, inability to focus, impulsivity, etc. were building on each other and about 4-5 months ago after turning in a barely adequate report, once again written in a family-neglecting nonstop 48 hour stressful marathon session, I paused in utter frustration and fear to take stock.

I saw a history of such marathon sessions with things that I had weeks to complete, lying by commission, denying behavior, over a half a million dollars in squandered net worth, quitting before firings, obstinacy, and more.

I knew and know that I am not a no-god sh*t, but in fact, in many ways, an outside observer would not be able to come to that conclusion. I had been investigating things mental since my initial diagnosis and knew that in fact, what I was probably looking at is a lifetime of ADHD- Inattentive Type and that the tactics by which I had historically compensated for it were no longer effective, or even available to me. I knew I had to do everything I could to minimize the symptoms and consequences of this condition.

I decided that I would undergo a complete physical (which I am finally scheduled to do this coming week) and in that appointment am going to insist on a referral to a psychiatrist. I am looking into support groups in the West Michigan area and also coaches. I sat down with my (long estranged due to this) wife and laid out the devastation that my impulsive actions have caused to our finances and handed over all the bills and account information, my checks and credit/debit cards, and locked myself out of accessing the accounts for withdrawal with the banks. It wasn't (and still isn't) pretty.

I have always loathed being accountable and restricted in any way. I didn't want to do it, and still don't, but thank God; my sense of duty to my family has finally over ridden my obstinacy in this area.

I understand that a great majority of my behavior and therefore circumstances are due to a biochemical dysfunction of some sort-- but I feel such embarrassment and shame. Not necessarily for the effects of the condition, but that it required reaching such proximity to complete devastation before seriously addressing it.

Still, I retain confidence and optimism about myself and the future and based on the stories of success by others, I believe that I will move forward in a manner that adequately contributes to my family's needs-- including downsizing our lifestyle so that the demands are not so intense.

I look forward to participating here and assure you that not all my posts will be such lengthy tomes. But I am just coming to reckon seriously with this situation, so still have some cathartic venting in me with few outlets.
Old 04-05-08, 01:07 AM
ADDvanced Member

DeLL will become famous soon enough

I'm a Yooper, diagnosed with ADHD in 8th grade I think.. I don't remember to be honest. I haven't taken meds since my sophomore year in high school, but I am thinking about getting on something. I just don't want to lose the ability to hyperfocus on things.
Old 04-05-08, 01:11 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to beholdADDAWAY is a splendid one to behold

The meds HELP with focus ... talk about ultrafocus (coined by Luthien)! go, GO, GO Yoop!
Old 04-11-08, 01:29 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,415 Times in 6,122 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

so Michigan is where "Grillin' in the USA" is - I have been wondering where that was forever but kept forgetting to ask. . .. I am bad about that forgetting thing some times.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
ADDAWAY (05-12-08)
Old 05-12-08, 10:25 PM

whitedaikan will become famous soon enough

im almost 22- just diagnosed 3 months ago and WOW what a relief!!! lol I am currently in my 2nd week of classes at my THIRD college but I am finally performing to my academic ability with the help of the chemical wonder that is focalin xr. I frequent tiger's stadium and bars/coffee shops in the metro detroit area. I love detroit and MI despite the economic problems- I have lived here my whole life (minus some time in albion and kalamazoo). anyways- just a friendly hello to all you MIders
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whitedaikan For This Useful Post:
ADDAWAY (05-12-08), innaminute (12-30-09)
Old 05-12-08, 10:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,276 Times in 975 Posts
Mary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedaikan View Post
im almost 22- just diagnosed 3 months ago and WOW what a relief!!! lol I am currently in my 2nd week of classes at my THIRD college but I am finally performing to my academic ability with the help of the chemical wonder that is focalin xr. I frequent tiger's stadium and bars/coffee shops in the metro detroit area. I love detroit and MI despite the economic problems- I have lived here my whole life (minus some time in albion and kalamazoo). anyways- just a friendly hello to all you MIders
Welcome to ADDForums! I'm also from Michigan.

Remember, we here at ADDForums can only do so much. It's up to us as individuals to make the right choices, to seek professional help outside the forums.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mary For This Useful Post:
ADDAWAY (05-12-08)
Old 08-07-08, 02:56 PM

RussianRockit is on a distinguished road

Hey, yeah I was diagnosed halfway through high school with add. Took stratterra for it but it made me feel like a zombie so i stopped until college. I started on Adderrall and like it alot, but after awhile i was still all over the place. Then I found this forum and it has been a lifesaver. I never knew much about add and the behavioral side of it. I was always just told "you cant pay attention well". Now I am going to start making some moves. Oh yeah, My name is Yuri (it is russian), 22, born and raised in Troy (metrodetroit). I go to WMU in Kalamazoo.

p.s. the wings are going to win the cup again.
The Following User Says Thank You to RussianRockit For This Useful Post:
Mary (08-07-08)
Old 08-07-08, 09:57 PM
ADDvanced Member

merlin8015 will become famous soon enough

OK, i'm not from Michigan but I am seriously considering moving to the St. Clair Shores area. Can anyone tell me more about the area. We have friends that we visit often in Windsor, ON. We want to get the heck outta Jersey. Any info would be great.
Old 08-07-08, 10:32 PM

Mary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to behold

Welcome, Yuri!

Remember, we here at ADDForums can only do so much. It's up to us as individuals to make the right choices, to seek professional help outside the forums.
Old 08-07-08, 10:40 PM

Hi Merlin, I know that I love traveling through that area..even though I live further to the south/central area.

Old 08-31-08, 10:10 PM
ADDvanced Member

willzzz has a spectacular aura aboutwillzzz has a spectacular aura about
Red face Re: Roll Call - Michigan Attention Deficit Disorder

Hello. I'm Will and I'm from the northwest suburbs of Detroit (more closer to Ann Arbor maybe). Anyways I've finally got diagnosed a couple of months ago during the summer after my senior year of high school. I highly regret that I got diagnosed so late as I could have done a lot better in HS and gotten admission to the college of my dreams (yep the one in Ann Arbor that bleeds Maize n' Blue!). Anyways I go to the commuter college now (UMich-Dearborn) and am this year after being on medication hoping to working up to my potential and hopefully finally find some success in life. Living life with ADD is tough but bearable. Also diagnosed as Asperger's, which more or less means I'm quiet and keep to myself (that maybe why I was diagnosed late, my parents always thought something was wrong but couldn't get it dx'ed properly!)
Old 09-20-08, 11:51 AM
Contributor

andyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to all

Just discovered that there was a Michigan thread. New member from the Muskegon area.
Old 09-28-08, 11:08 AM
ADDvanced Member

Veggymel will become famous soon enough

Hey I also just found this thread, I am in Sterling Heights area ;-) Nice to see so many of us Michiganders here ;-)

Mom to: Jordan 13 yrs old - ADHD
Tommy 5 yrs old - ADHD, PDD-NOS, Multiple Food Allergies

CLICK HERE TO GET FIT!
Old 12-26-08, 12:20 AM

Gianfranco Zola is on a distinguished road

Gianfranco Zola (Obviously not my real name)
Living in Rochester.
21, was diagnosed when I was quite young, around two-four. I wasn't a very talkative person and when I did speak, it came out in a form on antimetabole. Something such as "House that see."
Old 12-15-09, 03:32 PM

varkjie will become famous soon enough

Hiya fellow Michiganders! I'm in Holland, mi for now we are looking to buy a house in the Grand Rapids suburbs area so will be there later on. I just moved here from Minnesota.
I got Diagnosed when I was about 23 and never really medicated because I didn't want to take the meds unless I had to. I started school 2 years ago which is why I now medicate. It's amazing to be able to open a textbook and actually read, follow along, and understand what I am reading. Even if the classes are boring! I would have had such success in high school had I been able to get diagnosed sooner. But I guess everything happens for a reason!

I guess that turned into a lengthy hello? lol anyways Hi!
The Following User Says Thank You to varkjie For This Useful Post:
Song of Mercy (12-18-09)