ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: When did u start to talk and read? (1st 4 are for speech, the 2nd 4 are for reading)
6-9 months 40 32.26%
10-12 months 43 34.68%
13-18 months 19 15.32%
>18 months 10 8.06%
24 - 30 months (2-2.5) 19 15.32%
31 - 36 months (2.5-3) 18 14.52%
37 - 48 months (3-4) 33 26.61%
>48 months (4 years) 33 26.61%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-04, 08:42 AM
Banned

Avistar_sg is on a distinguished road
Attention Deficit Disorder and when did u start to talk and read?

When did u start to talk and read?

Just curious.
Old 11-07-04, 11:43 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Draga has disabled reputation
Talking

Would ya think me a smart *** if I say I was too young to remember

I think I was a year old when I started talkig,..cause Mom says I never shut up since! hehe

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 11-07-04, 02:38 PM

Thanked 3,330 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
The terms are way too loosely defined here...talk? What does that mean? Babbling, cooing? Jargon? Basic communication? One-two word sentences? Complete sentences that can be readily understood by people who aren't familiar with the child?

Reading...character identification? Speech-sound combination processing? Phonological-visual linking? Comprehensive reading?

These things are very loosely defined...and could very much affect the outcome of the poll. I mean...by 6-7 months a baby should be able to babble with reduplication, and identify objects that are named by looking at them...but the age of developing first meaningful words isn't normally until 12 months. Between 8-12 months the child should be able to imitate language, and demonstrate echolalia, variegated babbling, and use gestures to communicate. They should also be able to use jargon, that is, long strings of unintelligible sounds that mimic adult-like intonation. At 18 months, children have a functional vocabulary of about 50 single words...and they should be able to chain 2 words into a sentence...

...so depending on what you mean by "talking," you may not even have enough answers there. Children shouldn't be "talking" like adults until 3 years or so.

As for reading, comprehensive reading including comprehension and understanding of short sentences and paragraphs within vocabulary limitations has a given range of 6-8 years, with a median of development at 7 years. Character identification should take place around 4-5 years, with a failure to identify characters being considered pathological at around 5.5 years of age. Comprehensive Reading between 3-4 years is almost absurdly uncommon and would be considered pathological, while identifying characters during those years would be considered extremely advanced. Comprehensive reading before age 3 is practically impossible...so answering that way in particular is almost absurd.

The schooling simply doesn't exist for children to learn to read and comprehend before age 4. And again, comprehending a short passage or sentence even is extremely uncommon before age 6...so the ranges you give for reading are simply not worthwhile.

Any kind of reading before age 5 likely qualifies as hyperlexic, and chances are, it's not comprehensive at all, and practically worthless.
Old 11-07-04, 11:39 PM

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
I don't remember either....lol..But I believe both were developmentally appropriate
Old 11-08-04, 12:38 AM
Banned

Apologies for the ambiquity involved. I was too depressed yesterday when I put this post up, that I didn't bother to analyze deeper into the definition of the question. By speech, I do not mean babbling, I meant meaningful speech that consists of 2 or more words linked together, exclusive of merely being able to imitate language without higher level crystallization. By reading, I refer to the ability to read comprehensively at the most fundamental stage, that is, being able to decipher the morphology of certain words and certain short phrases, as well as being able to vocalize the phonology of the words correctly.
Old 11-08-04, 12:48 AM

Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Well, given those conditions, you don't have the proper age ranges as available options. Children reading that comprehensively before age 4 is virtually impossible. Children speaking that understandably before age 2 is practically unheard of.
Old 11-08-04, 01:11 AM
Banned

Are you sure about that? I thought reading comprehensively before the age of 4 was quite common everywhere. Reading comprehensively at the age of 1, however, is deemed an almost impossible feat as only a few individuals such as William James Sidis, Christian Friedrich Heineken and Gregory Smith, can achieve such capabilities. Statistically speaking, only one in a billion can achieve this feat, however, reading comprehensively between the ages of 2 - 4 is actually within the intellectual grasp of many children. As for talking, there are indeed very precocious aka prodigious individuals who can speak (under my conditions) at just a month old. Talking before the age of 1 year is possible by many children, according to many reliable and justifiably veridical sources. In fact, studies in Japan has shown that most 3 month old toddlers do in fact, have the mental capacity to learn arithmetic (via an intensive program that utilizes flashcards). I find it surprising to hear that it is very rare for children to achieve the above feats (the ones stated in my previous post regarding the conditions).
Old 11-08-04, 01:17 AM

Comprehensive reading is generally expected by the age of 7. 6-8 is the range given for "normal" comprehensive reading development: that is, reading a passage and understanding what it means. However, this information is assuming the language is English, and these statistics and pedagogical reports are from the United States...I don't know what kinds of information you're using, but mine is the standard course taught to educators here in the US...and all of my speech information comes from a class on Communication Development and Disorders which I'm currently taking.
Old 11-18-04, 07:24 PM

pembroke is just really nicepembroke is just really nicepembroke is just really nicepembroke is just really nice
my mother said that at a year old I could sing "Purple People Eater" in it's entirety and drive her crazy; I was also tiny (looked about 7 months old at past 1 year old) and learned to walk and work a screwdriver at 9 months..... I didn't catch up my height until I was a teenager. The rest went downhill from there....
Baruch Spinoza

Old 11-19-04, 10:29 AM
Banned

You are a supergenius
Old 11-26-04, 07:36 PM

cellar_door is on a distinguished road
I dunno about talking, but I know I was reading at a 4th grade level in kindergarten. I'm told I was early with both.
You and me are never free until we're cast away

-- the vines "homesick"
Old 11-27-04, 03:48 AM

RhapsodyInBlue has disabled reputation
My adoptive grandmother told me I spoke as fluent as an adult at 2 years old, to the point of a Doctor commenting on the vocabulary. Speech as in more than one word used comprehensively was at 6 months; three words.

By 3, I was reading beginners books, and at 4 commenced schooling and was placed in a higher grade after 6 months.

Despite all of that, I always failed Math miserably.
Old 11-27-04, 08:04 PM
Contributor

gingagirl will become famous soon enough
Keith-
I think you are mis-interpreting "talking." Avistar defined talking as "meaningful speech that consists of 2 or more words linked together." A baby begins to say single words at 9 months - 15 months (12 months, on average). Combining two words together occurs at 2 years, on average --and it is within the norm for slightly younger children to talk at this level.

EXAMPLES
Mommy up (Mom, pick me up)
No bye-bye (I don't want to leave, I don't want you to leave)
Daddy cookie (Dad, I want a cookie ...or That's dad's cookie ...or I want dad's cookie ...or I want the type of cookie that dad usually eats)

At this level, the listener often needs to interpret what the baby means based on the situation. However, this is definitely "real talking" (IMO). The child has a specific thought in mind and is using words to express his/her thought.

At 3-years-old, most of what a child says should be intelligible (can't remember specific # ...either 75% or 90% intelligible). By "intelligible", I do not mean perfectly articulated, but well enough that an unfamiliar person can understand the child. Typical utterances are 3-words in length, but much longer sentences begin to appear. Language concepts are still being learned. By 5 - 6 years old, kids should be able to understand & use all language structures (although their vocabulary is not fully developed).

I do not know the typical development of reading. I think that sight words appear quite early (kids memorize how familiar words "look", but they are not necessarily able to "read" words). By 5 - 6 years old, kids know the sounds of letters (I think) and they begin to read short words.

"They call me lazy, but it takes all my time..." -- Joe Walsh
"The absence of evidence is NOT evidence of absence." -- unknown
Old 12-01-04, 01:25 AM

Johnathon is on a distinguished road
Hey gingagirl! My motto "The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence" is in your signature! Wow.

I spoke at quite a young age. According to my parents, I started to speak at 4 months and I possessed a working vocabulary of about 20 words in my first 6 months. I also started to read at about 18 months of age. Having an IQ in the vicinity of 200, I mastered multiple languages at a young age, and at 6, I was reading "A Tale of Two cities" and was reading books on ethnic and political philosophy at 8.
Old 12-01-04, 11:17 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

f_wcomboadhd is on a distinguished road
i don't know when i started speaking as my father is MIA (not through military action, although he is a retired soldier, this is caused by mental illness, schizophrenia to be specific), my mother doesn't remember anymore...I do have quite early memories, i can remember being a year old etc...no prenatal memories like johnathon..(and i'm actually glad about that...) i was reading by age 3..i am certainly not in your category johnathon. i must say in defense of my lack of shining accomplishments/resume that i've had a hard time of it.
i'm too sensitive..
anyway..
my son has quite a vocabulary and a seriously witty sense of humor at age 4 (just turned four last month) he is extremely observant..he did speak clearly and with intent at less than age one...so i find it odd that its technically not something that children don't do. when he was two ppl were astonished at his ability to speak. its so cute when such tiny fellows can speak with clarity!
my son has definitely inherited my type of mind,
but we both pale in comparison to avistar and johnathon in terms of 'iq' or i know for a fact
that i'm not a genius at puzzles etc. i have spatial issues. but i am above average for those, and finding solutions and alternatives in general...but don't ask me to do any of the puzzles you guys are doing. not my forte by any means and certainly not something i care for....
i have a david wechsler 170, and i'm aged 29....quite your senior...
doesn't matter to me....
I wish that I was bullet proof
(Radiohead/The Bends/Bulletproof..I wish I was)
300 mgs. Wellbutrin XL 20mgs. Adderall XR