ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-17, 12:31 PM

adhdprepster is on a distinguished road
Tips for a recently diagnosed college student

Hi! I'm a 22-year-old female and I was recently formally diagnosed with ADHD by the therapist I've been seeing for the last month. I have all the classic symptoms.. can't focus in class, it takes me forever to get things done, I lose things all the time, get overwhelmed easily, etc. I also really struggle with social anxiety and feel disconnected from my peers. I'm generally a social person and have a decent amount of friends but it's hard for me to express my thoughts (I've been described as vague) and find it difficult to have even basic conversations.

I'm starting a pretty intense graduate program this summer (class over 40hrs/week) and I'm honestly worried that I'm going to fail if I don't fix things. I've been seriously considering medication (therapist recommended Vyvanse) but I'm a worried because:

1. I have a family history of bipolar and depression- my grandma, cousins, etc. My older brother has a severe mental illness (schizoeffective disoder)
2. I have other health problems- Hashimoto's, PCOS, Celiac and am concerned about drug interactions. I currently take Synthroid.
3. My mom is VERY against medication..she is a counselor and has seen people really abuse stimulants

I wasn't planning on telling my parents, mainly because when I've brought my concerns up to my mom in the past she has dismissed them and said I would have never done well in school if I had ADHD. Turns out they just got a billing statement from my insurance, so now I'm faced with the dilemma of how to tell them. I'm excited to finally have a diagnosis after so many years of speculating, but am scared of how they will react. Any tips would be appreciated!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to adhdprepster For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (09-17-17), TheGreatKing (09-17-17)
Old 09-17-17, 02:08 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

TheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to beholdTheGreatKing is a splendid one to behold
Re: Tips for a recently diagnosed college student

Hi there,
I have similar story, but my mother works with children with disorders. I finally told my mother that i have ADHD and every time i brought up symptoms, she followed up with "everyone has those problem sometimes, its normal". I don't know if she is in denial or what but she is coming around, she is admitting that my dad might actually have ADHD , which if you saw my dad you would understand. I think you just have to sit them down and tell them, either separately, if that easiest for you or together. Just remember sometimes its hard for parents to accept that there child has been suffering for so long without there knowledge and they might fall into some kind of denial cycle. But better out then in i say. Let the chips fall where they may. You will feel better in the end but just understand this, it may take them a bit to process the information you are giving them, so after you have said your peace, give them time to adjust. The alternative is that they might just say "Ok , what do you want to do next?" and accept your diagnoses and you can all move on. I hope it all works out and that they are supportive.
Fuzzy12 (09-17-17), PoppnNSailinMan (09-17-17)
Old 09-17-17, 06:09 PM

PoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of lightPoppnNSailinMan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatKing View Post
Hi there,
I have similar story, but my mother works with children with disorders. I finally told my mother that i have ADHD and every time i brought up symptoms, she followed up with "everyone has those problem sometimes, its normal". I don't know if she is in denial or what but she is coming around, she is admitting that my dad might actually have ADHD , which if you saw my dad you would understand. I think you just have to sit them down and tell them, either separately, if that easiest for you or together. Just remember sometimes its hard for parents to accept that there child has been suffering for so long without there knowledge and they might fall into some kind of denial cycle.
ADHD expert Ari Tuckman wrote a book for clinicians in private practice in which he offers a treatment model for adults with ADHD, Integrative Treatment for Adult ADHD, and he has a chapter explaining the diagnosis process. Among the things he discusses are "collateral information sources" that might be useful in making a diagnosis, including talking to the parents of the person with ADHD. But I thought it was interesting what he has to say about the reliability of this source of information (p. 41):

Quote:
Another option would be to include the parents of ADHD adults in the interview process if the client's report is contradictory or unclear. This is often geographically difficult, so it may need to be done by phone instead. Of course, given the high heritability of ADHD, it may very well be that one or both parents have ADHD. If so, they may not see their grown child's symptoms as abnormal. Alternatively, they may defensively protect their own self-esteem by denying or minimizing problems, or by steadfastly holding onto the notion that this is not a disability, merely a different way of being.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
TheGreatKing (09-18-17)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-17, 11:09 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

kwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to allkwalk is a name known to all

1. My sister has bipolar really bad and it runs on grandparents side of the family , so I've gotten to seen the mood swing thing and I'm nothing like that. But it does help you see what it's like if that's what you're thinking.
2. I have PCOS, POTS which adderall can affect if it does but hasn't affected me, and I did a quick google on your med that can be affected with adderall but saw people that take it with it.
3. People who abuse stimulants mostly get a high from it or snort it, which kind of has the opposite affect on ADHD. If anything maybe if your mom saw you on a stimulant, she might realize how much it helps you than it working against you.
“Sometimes you've got to let everything go - purge yourself. If you are unhappy with anything . . . whatever is bringing you down, get rid of it. Because you'll find that when you're free, your true creativity, your true self comes out.”
The Following User Says Thank You to kwalk For This Useful Post:
TheGreatKing (09-18-17)
Old 09-18-17, 04:33 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,556 Times in 13,428 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhdprepster View Post
I've been seriously considering medication (therapist recommended Vyvanse) but I'm a worried because:

1. I have a family history of bipolar and depression- my grandma, cousins, etc. My older brother has a severe mental illness (schizoeffective disoder)
Do you have bipolar? are you being treated for bipolar? Bipolar can be aggravated sometimes when its undiagnosed or untreated. If you do not have bipolar or the other things you mentioned then you cant get them just because you take stimulants.
Quote:
2. I have other health problems- Hashimoto's, PCOS, Celiac and am concerned about drug interactions. I currently take Synthroid.
3. My mom is VERY against medication..she is a counselor and has seen people really abuse stimulants
Look up drug interactions on drugs.com.

Quote:
Drug interactions between Adderall XR and Synthroid
Adderall XR (amphetamine/dextroamphetamine)
Synthroid (levothyroxine)
Consumer
Professional
Interactions between your selected drugs
Moderate
levothyroxine ↔ amphetamine
Applies to:Synthroid (levothyroxine) and Adderall XR (amphetamine/dextroamphetamine)
Talk to your doctor before using levothyroxine together with amphetamine. Combining these medications may increase the risk of cardiovascular side effects such as high blood pressure, palpitation, chest pain, and irregular heart beat. If you have preexisting heart disease, your condition may worsen. You may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate
levothyroxine ↔ dextroamphetamine
Applies to:Synthroid (levothyroxine) and Adderall XR (amphetamine/dextroamphetamine)
Talk to your doctor before using levothyroxine together with dextroamphetamine. Combining these medications may increase the risk of cardiovascular side effects such as high blood pressure, palpitation, chest pain, and irregular heart beat. If you have preexisting heart disease, your condition may worsen. You may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.
Quote:
I wasn't planning on telling my parents, mainly because when I've brought my concerns up to my mom in the past she has dismissed them and said I would have never done well in school if I had ADHD. Turns out they just got a billing statement from my insurance, so now I'm faced with the dilemma of how to tell them. I'm excited to finally have a diagnosis after so many years of speculating, but am scared of how they will react. Any tips would be appreciated!
You are a big girl in grad school and an adult. Will they kick you off their insurance? I get it that they get billing statements but whats on those statements? You will have to be strong and clear with boundaries about your diagnosis and treatment. Or, dont tell them anything and think of something. Why is your mom against meds? Has she read anything about them like; they have been around for over 50n years and reduce the chances of drug addiction and criminal activity for those that have those issues? Does she understand adhd in girls? OH i never asked if you were a girl or boy so I could be wrong.
Ultimately its your life and you can either live it on your own or live it for your parents.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Old 09-19-17, 12:47 PM

BuckisMunz is on a distinguished road

oh how exciting. Welcome to the talented and gifted.

I am currently on Dexedrine (Dextrometaphine). 5mg's a day, 10 on bad ADD days.

Don't lose heart. Parents are parents for a reason, so we can grow up and raise our kids 100% different. haha.

Get pills, it's like giving your brain a vacation from being overwhelmed and stressed out. I take mine only when I feel the need. or spending 1-2 hours surfing the net for things not related to work. haha!!!

Jake