ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-19, 07:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,816 Times in 14,172 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thinking and learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler5 View Post
Perhaps with the right meds things would be more clear to you?
I've been medicated for two days and I've managed to do more than I've done in weeks and I haven't even done that much today and yesterday. I've also managed to understand some concepts I've been grappling with. I hate this. I am stupid without the meds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
namazu (12-05-19)
Old 12-05-19, 10:49 PM

Thanked 6,257 Times in 2,955 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreamer View Post
I'm dealing with the same right now. Today home from work (yet again) as I couldn't stand going in and sit there unproductive.

You also work as a software developer, right? I used to be very good at learning, and interested in new technology frameworks etc, but it is like I've lost that ability (or interest) completely.

It might be that I've done it one too many times, learning the new shiny thing to really get anything out of it. I might have some form of midlife crisis, but I wonder if being a SW developer is really what I was meant to be. Do you have similar thoughts?

I'm sorry that you're struggling with this also, as it is really difficult...

You have not necessarily lost the ability- more like misplaced it- TEMPORARILY. ( Important positive thinking).

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 12-05-19, 10:59 PM

Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
I've been medicated for two days and I've managed to do more than I've done in weeks and I haven't even done that much today and yesterday. I've also managed to understand some concepts I've been grappling with. I hate this. I am stupid without the meds.

Yes I know that feeling, though I am just more likely to be foggier and slower when off them.
The question is why are you like that and how to work out what is going on.

Dysautonomia has been well documented in ADHD. It is inclined to cause low blood pressure to the brain when upright- especially sitting.
Often people with it are quite pale and maybe sweaty with a higher heart rate than you would expect.

Ive found that my heart rate drops on stimulants-- which is counter intuitive.

Be that as it may, the end result is insufficient blood flow to the brain and that certainly causes brain fog and difficulty thinking. It is only one of the possible causes because ADHD is a complex syndrome- not just a single cause.

I think in the end that we will trace all the causes of ADHD symptoms- and they will all be some sort of physical issue affecting our brain.

It is easy to feel bad about this- but when you have a medication that has a good effect like stimulants you have to understand that this is primarily a physical problem and we are being responsible citizens in taking our medication if they work for us- that's not universal. So relax a little and let yourself enjoy your improved functioning.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (12-06-19), Greyhound1 (12-06-19), namazu (12-07-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-19, 01:39 AM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 16,447 Times in 7,863 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
You are just as smart without meds. They just allow you to better organize your thoughts and access your own intelligence more efficiently.

They aren’t smart pills nor are you somehow cheating by reaping some benefits from your medication. I don’t understand why you would be upset with your medication working properly. Enjoy the benefits and make good use of them. That’s what they are for.

Perhaps shame is the issue. I hope that’s not the case. I realized, I’m much more ashamed of myself and my actions or lack of them when I’m not medicated. Taking medication when it’s properly prescribed and effective is the responsible thing to do. It’s nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed of whereas, our actions when un-medicated often can be.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greyhound1 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (12-06-19), musicman64 (12-07-19), namazu (12-07-19)
Old 12-06-19, 07:31 AM

Thanked 6,065 Times in 2,511 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute

Memory isn't "a thing" it's

1) writing to storage
2) storage
3) indexing
4) recall

Each part can function consciously or unconsciously and be affected by stress, tiredness, or neurological difference.

People think memory works the same in everyone.... it doesn't, it's unique to each of us, and being ND may make it a bit more different.

This means, as ND people we need to work out how our memory works, what are it's strengths, what are it's weaknesses, using coping strategies to cover our weak spots and trying to choose environments that play to our strengths.

This is one thing I explore when I'm working with clients..... trying to pick up the subtle cues about how their memory "writes", organises and recovers stored knowledge and experience.

Most of this is happening out of awareness..... which makes it a bit of a detective story.

When I work with my clients I find that their memory is very rarely universally "bad". Usually the individual has phenomenal areas of recall however their life is such that the areas where their memory is amazing are irrelevant, and their life is dominated by areas where their memory function is not great. This increases stress causing a stress orientated memory impairment across the board, which increases stress and a negative feedback loop develops.

Working with clients, the first area I concentrate on is increasing self-compassion and nurturing, in order to reduce stress, then we explore behavioural responses that are likely to be rooted in unconscious memory recall processes. This helps me build a picture of the indexing process, what has been laid down in instantaneous "priority" memory and how is it recovered.

If this is successful we slowly, over many months, enter a positive feedback loop where increasing knowledge of how the brain functions reduces stress and increases memory function, further reducing stress and allowing for creation of resilient coping strategies.

The underlying brain difference remains, however the individual has increased understanding and can therefore make healthier choices, reducing stress thereby reducing the secondary neurological effects of living with Neurodiversity.

There is a lot more to this than I can put in a post, particularly around how trauma is inevitably in the mix and affects the memory process, short-circuiting the usual write/store/index/recall processes
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kilted_scotsman For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (12-06-19), musicman64 (12-07-19), namazu (12-07-19), TygerSan (12-07-19)
Old 12-07-19, 09:56 AM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,446 Times in 5,444 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

I describe my memory issues as having low RAM. Give me too much information to process at once (especially when I’m already anxious and overwhelmed) and I will crash. On the other hand, my long-term and episodic memory are very good. It’s just the short-term information processing that I struggle with.

Meds helped with being able to sequence and program well, but left me with weird glitches where I would totally forget what I was saying mid-sentence.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following User Says Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
namazu (12-07-19)
Old 12-07-19, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerSan View Post
I describe my memory issues as having low RAM. Give me too much information to process at once (especially when Iím already anxious and overwhelmed) and I will crash. On the other hand, my long-term and episodic memory are very good. Itís just the short-term information processing that I struggle with.

Meds helped with being able to sequence and program well, but left me with weird glitches where I would totally forget what I was saying mid-sentence.

Low RAM?
I'm getting visuals of a short sheep.
Have I lost track?

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 12-07-19, 12:03 PM

Pay no attention.
I'm just looking for cheap laughs-- but aren't we all meant to be directing directing our attention to items that engage our interest?

Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.