ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Depression
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-19, 05:19 PM

Chadjt3 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up I Have Finally Found The Right Med To Help My Depression As An ADHD Person

Just wanted to share my experience with those who are struggling to find what works. I figure us who have ADHD and depression may have a similar brain chemistry. My doctor prescribed me Cymbalta for ADHD (off-label) and depression. It has worked wonders. I also take Modafinil for ADHD as needed. But honestly the Cymbalta does all the work. Many psychiatrist who specialize in ADHD presribe SNRI's such as Cymbalta, Effexor, and Wellbutrin for ADHD when someone has co-existing depression. More specifically, my psychiatrist honors the rule of the 7 different types of ADHD which you can test for with a quick Google search. She had me take a test at her office and determind I'm the overfocused type of ADHD, which is a fit for SNRI treatment, and known to not respond well to stimulants.

I hope this helps someone in their plight to find the right medication. I know how frustrating it is. I didn't respond well to Adderall and actually started abusing it. Maybe consider talking to your doctor about SNRI's for your ADHD if you have co-existing depression?

Take care.
Old 06-19-19, 11:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,983 Times in 6,694 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I Have Finally Found The Right Med To Help My Depression As An ADHD Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadjt3 View Post
Maybe consider talking to your doctor about SNRI's for your ADHD if you have co-existing depression?
Absolutely not. SxRIs are poison for me. They make me sick, give me uncontrollable reflex actions, and create a degree of inattentiveness that makes my ADHD seem like child's play.

It's a NDRI, bupropion hydrochloride, combined with dextroamphetamine sulfate, for me, my gold standard.

I think the 7 types of ADHD hypothesis is deeply flawed.

I'm glad you found something that works for you.

I'm glad I found something that works for me.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
stef (06-20-19)
Old 06-20-19, 01:01 AM

Well, everyone is different in their brain chemistry and you just have to find what works for you.

I'm sharing this in hopes someone like me sees SNRI's as an option over stimulants. It is working very well for me.

The 7 types of ADHD is based on cat scans and goes in depth on the issue. I'd be interested to know what exactly you see flawed in it?

Glad you found something to work for you, by the way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chadjt3 For This Useful Post:
stef (06-20-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-19, 01:14 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,083 Times in 15,343 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadjt3 View Post
Well, everyone is different in their brain chemistry and you just have to find what works for you.

I'm sharing this in hopes someone like me sees SNRI's as an option over stimulants. It is working very well for me.

The 7 types of ADHD is based on cat scans and goes in depth on the issue. I'd be interested to know what exactly you see flawed in it?

Glad you found something to work for you, by the way.
The 7 types you mentioned are flawed because they are based on 1 person's "research" about adhd without much science behind it. The general standard if need be are that there are three types, inattentive, hyperactive and combined. I think the new DSM did away with the three and just has one disorder classified as adhd.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Daniel_Amen

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-20-19, 01:47 AM

I wasn't aware that some people have this opinion. Thanks for sharing that with me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chadjt3 For This Useful Post:
stef (06-20-19)
Old 06-20-19, 01:41 PM

Thanked 26,864 Times in 12,537 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I was put on Cymbalta a couple of months ago to deal with neuropathy,
pins and needles and tingling in my scalp and legs/feet.

It's also been working well to treat my anxiety, but I haven't noticed any
difference in adhd symptoms, which are well treated in my case with Omega 3.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Chadjt3 (06-21-19), stef (06-20-19)
Old 06-20-19, 04:06 PM

Thanked 27,483 Times in 13,303 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I've never taken an SNRI, but SSRI (prozac) did absolutely nothing for my adhd and turned me into a zombie. but i know they can work wonders for depression and anxiety.

Ritalin helps me so much because adhd is really the source of my anxiety.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
aeon (06-20-19), Chadjt3 (06-21-19), Little Missy (06-20-19)
Old 06-21-19, 09:19 PM

Interesting to here your guys experiences, along with the theory against the 7 types. Perhaps my depression is the cause of my ADHD symptoms or maybe the modafinil is doing more for my ADHD symptoms than I give it credit for.
Old 06-22-19, 08:35 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light20thcenturyfox is a glorious beacon of light
Only Time Will Tell--But Meanwhile We are Not Unanimous on DSM!

Sorry if this rant is a little off-topic, but I can't let this orthodoxy of DSM devotees go completely unchallenged.

As far as I can tell the main "flaw" in Daniel Amen's 7 subtype model of ADHD is that he has made a lot of money promoting it and treating people according to it...but has never submitted either his theory, his SPECT imaging data, nor his patient records (which by now must amount to a huge database) for peer review.

This doesn't mean he is entirely wrong, or even mostly wrong. He just doesn't have industry/academic backing by way of published, peer-reviewed RCT's to back up his ideas. But most of all, we have no idea how well his treatments are working for his patients, and most especially which groups of patients are experiencing the biggest/smallest, most/least consistent improvements. Nobody argues with success in medicine...once it's proven. Doctors used aspirin for years without anyone knowing why it worked.

Meanwhile, can anyone point to any peer-reviewed mainstream scientific support for any iteration of the DSM criteria since ADD first entered the annals of American medical consciousness? No. What successes has it had?

Like that for Major Depressive Disorder, the DSM so-called "3 subtypes" are merely the poorest kind of itemized description of a collection of diverse "age-inappropriate" behaviours conveniently grouped together under a label. The heterogeneity we see right here on this forum is one indication. No wonder ADHD has been a misunderstood laughingstock of a diagnosis. The diagnosis doesn't tell you much of anything about what symptoms are included, let alone what caused them, what environmental influences continue to aggravate them, or what interventions would improve them.

Isn't this why the (US) National Institute of Mental Health in 2013 said "Patients Deserve Better" and launched the Research Domain Criteria (RDoC) project into which it has poured millions of research dollars to find more solid biological criteria for a number of mental health conditions so poorly described in the DSM? https://www.nimh.nih.gov/about/direc...iagnosis.shtml

Time will tell whether Daniel Amen is more prophet or charlatan. I don't know. But if I were betting I would bet that the subtypes of ADHD which emerge from the RDoC initiative will look a lot more like Dr. Amen's 7 types of ADHD than like DSM's useless 3 subtype model.

Obviously, for the time being, this is just my opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to 20thcenturyfox For This Useful Post:
Chadjt3 (08-19-19)