ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-17, 09:37 AM

Friendlyriver has a spectacular aura aboutFriendlyriver has a spectacular aura about
Meds meds meds and now a little better

So I'm fairly newly diagnosed still, although it does take exactly feel that way since I've been dealing with this for a looong time (forever). I had the typical adult undiagnosed life - you know the one- chasing diagnosis, trying to figure out what the heck was wrong with me, popping one AD after another, nothing ever really working. At one point I had a doc that put me on Wellbutrin, respiridone, prozac, ability, lamictal, and, well, I was a muddled mess.

Anyways, jumping forward, I finally got diagnosed, played around with a few ADHD meds (under my wonderful primary physicians guidance) and finally landed with Dexedrine IR, 10-15mg 4X daily. It's the dose that works so don't knock it. BUT when I started this regime, I was still on Prozac and Lamictal, and risperidone for that matter. The risperidone was first to go. ****ty time getting off that one - I put myself and my family through emotional hell. But about a month later, I felt a tiny bit clearer. Next up, Prozac... Once I got this out of my system and past it's crazy long half life, I felt MUCH better - holy moly! My Dexedrine was more consistant, and I was clearer headed, and my emotional control is seriously awesome. I'm currently working on the lamictal and have dropped from 200mg to 150mg and so far so good!!!!!

I'm starting to feel great. I get **** done. I help out around the house. I interact with my kids and actually take time with them. I LISTEN to my wife. I'm aware when I gap out in conversations, and pull myself back from watching the... whatever that grabbed my attention. I haven't left the car door open in the driveway - all night - for, well, a while. And, I'm learning how to stop my little hamster wheel of a mind before I FREAK out in stressful situations. Life is going to be ok. I'm - HOLY **** - I'm optimistic!!

There are other things I do regularly too which really help - it's more than just meds. I see an ADHD coach, I use a white board in the kitchen, I use google calender religiously, I use notes on my iPhone, i excercise, I listen to meditative music as I fall asleep, and I pray.

I'm 40. It's been a tough life. But there is always someone less fortunate, or someone that has had it harder. I'm happy to have finally found the beginning of a new path.

I like to write. I couldn't for years because I could never formulate my thoughts to follow through...

I was able to write a poem on the bus yesterday, one of many, called "Beautiful".

Hang in there everybody....

Last edited by namazu; 07-21-17 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: Lovely poem, but religious statements of any kind are not permitted in this section. Please see ADDF guidelines.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Friendlyriver For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (07-21-17), mrh235 (07-21-17), PoppnNSailinMan (07-21-17), sarahsweets (07-22-17), someothertime (07-22-17)