ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-13, 10:31 PM

7wes753 is on a distinguished road
College student problems

So I'm having major problems getting motivated, but it's not the trouble I've been reading about from other people, but maybe I just haven't looked hard enough. I'm a college student, so my sleeping habits aren't great, but when I wake up, I know exactly what I need to do, and I tell myself to start, but I can't seem to make it happen. Im not even making excuses to myself, I sit down at my computer, open up Word, and practically scream at myself to start, and I just can't. However, when I've taken vyvanse, along with a 24oz monster, after having not slept all night, thats when I'm able to do things. So I've gotten in the habit of not sleeping or eating, and waiting til the early hours of the morning to start things, and then for the next day or two, as long as I don't sleep, I'm really focused, I can get things done, I remember everything, I'm way more coordinated, and I think better. I mean, I'm pretty much a robot emotionally, but I really haven't had any problems with that. I realize this is really unhealthy, but I don't really have any other options at this point. I would use breaks from school to try to recover and start a better sleep schedule, but my school goes all year round, and I only get 2 weeks off between semesters.
1. What do I do?
2. Anyone have or heard of similar problems?
Old 07-13-13, 03:30 AM

Lady Gray is on a distinguished road
Re: College student problems

Last fall semester For one paper I kept on putting off, and putting off I was only able to start after I got sick as a dog from stress and hadn't slept well for days, and on large doses of daqiul was I actually able to write it.

It wasen't even a writ 101 class it was writ 95. For me my ADD makes it hard for me to focus and organize my ideas coherently , so I get anxious about it, so I push it off, and one more the cycle repeats. I found that one night I was dis-inhibited enough to actually sit down.

Part of it was anxiety and part of it was not being able to focus, they both fed each other.for me it help to go to the witting lab at my campus, are you hooked up with disability services at you campus?
The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Gray For This Useful Post:
Lindseyk828 (07-15-13)
Old 07-13-13, 04:45 PM
Purriendly feline moderator

Thanked 22,729 Times in 13,424 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to welcome you to the forum
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-13, 05:47 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,434 Times in 15,027 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

have you had these symtpoms since childhood?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 07-27-13, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gray View Post
Last fall semester For one paper I kept on putting off, and putting off I was only able to start after I got sick as a dog from stress and hadn't slept well for days, and on large doses of daqiul was I actually able to write it.

It wasen't even a writ 101 class it was writ 95. For me my ADD makes it hard for me to focus and organize my ideas coherently , so I get anxious about it, so I push it off, and one more the cycle repeats. I found that one night I was dis-inhibited enough to actually sit down.

Part of it was anxiety and part of it was not being able to focus, they both fed each other.for me it help to go to the witting lab at my campus, are you hooked up with disability services at you campus?
That definitely sounds familiar haha. I have talked, but I found out my 504 expired and I have to get it renewed, and I only have a couple weeks left in the semester, and still a huge majority of the work to finish, so I don't have the time. Plus, I'm none for being a procrastinator and for always being late, so I feel like if I reinstated my 504 at the last minute to get extra time on turning stuff in, that would just seem really sly, and my profs and peers would not like that at all
Old 07-27-13, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightstar View Post
I just wanted to welcome you to the forum
Thanks! Glad to be here, wish I could have found this place sooner
Old 07-27-13, 09:58 PM

@sarahsweets Ya I have, but I didn't know it was because of ADD until my senior year of high school. Cause of that, i feel like I haven't had much of a chance to figure out how to deal with this
Old 07-29-13, 07:03 AM

Cranski is just really niceCranski is just really niceCranski is just really niceCranski is just really nice

Procrastination is an art form that takes years to perfect; and one day I will work on becoming better at it.

I do best under extreme deadlines but I also can't make myself sit down and write it when I have time. Usually late at night when the lights are out and the house is quite, after having word open a few hours, I can write. I have this exceptional talent of being able to write a ten page paper in an hour though so... If it gets done early and there is time left till its due I will continuously edit it over and over... Ah the life of an idiot savant

Tools to help study;
1. Preparation
2. Procrastination
3. Sensory Deprivation
4. A clock readily available always in view to taunt you
5. Music* (part of #6)
6. Lots of fidgeting or alternate sensory-motor activities

7- For myself. Writing papers is mechanical. There is the basic ten sentence paragraph for research and fourteen for argumentative. So I grab relevant evidence first, such as quotes or evidence, and I just use it. Also creating the thesis topic right off the bat when given the assignment helps but to be honest I always change or reword it after finishing.

If its just homework... I'll do it before class and end up late as usual

*Edit- Get up and walk away if you get anxious or stressed. You can't force the magic.
Old 12-03-14, 09:57 PM

kashmoney is on a distinguished road

I'm definitely having similar problems
It's been like this since as long as I can remember but now I'm doing a master's degree and it is impairing me like never before.
Thats really great that the Vyvanse helped you! Did you get that by your own means or....?
Because if you got it from your doctor I'm assuming you are getting help which is good. But if you're not seeing anyone that must be a really hard time.

Ive been seeing the GP and the psychiatrist at school and although they both strongly believe that i have ADHD, they can't do anything for me until I get my assessment done which will take a long time. Wish me luck for the upcoming exams :'(

I also went to my family doctor today to see if she could prescribe something for me with no luck!