ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-08, 07:35 AM

615daniel is on a distinguished road
Smile Daniel in Nashville

I have observed this forum from afar many, many times. So after quite an absence I decided to join in on the discussion on a whim.

I cannot remember how old I was when I was exactly "diagnosed" with ADD/ADHD, but I can remember taking ritalin as far back as 1st or 2nd grade, having to take the multiple doses, after breakfast after lunch, after school, etc. When it became my choice in HS, I stopped cold turkey and ventured into other forms of self-medication. Decided to go to college close to home, small christian school, keep me out of trouble. A semester into it I came to the realization that when I actually had to pay attention and study to pass I knew I was in trouble. Started on Adderall XR, loved it, thrived on it. But after using it for a few years, I discovered a bad habit. I would take it all week when I had classes, but I would go thru "ruts" where I woudl forget to take it one day and then spend the next three sleeping. It took me a little while to figure it out.
I got a girlfriend, it got serious, she helped me keep my act together. But I was an ******* to her when I took Adderall. Everything else was good, school more specifically, but it was like I was two different people. After two years we were engaged, she graduated, I got essentially kicked out of school. I had quit taking the Adderall on a consistent basis and was a full time day nursing school student with a part time job working 2-3 nights a week for 12hrs/shift. I quit taking it because I essentially loathed everyone I was around. I was on nothing for a few months, tried a few SSRI's, which I hated.
Got started on Welbutrin XL, got married a few months later, three weeks after we get married I got flunked in my last clinical 10 days before I was supposed to graduate. Have been working full time since, awaiting March 24th, when I get to retake my final clinical and hopefully graduate in May.
I have always liked the Welbutrin b/c how it made me feel, but the longer I was on it, the more I realized it wasn't really doing anything for my ADD.I have been debating on going back to my doc, hopefully to attempt an Adderall+Welbutrin combo. I also wanted to join to be able to gain the support from my peers who understand where I am coming from in ways my wife will never be able to. She has always been type A person, student, etc. But has her moments of AD as well. Oh well, that's me. Anyone care to share?
Old 02-14-08, 11:38 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,276 Times in 975 Posts
Mary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to behold
Re: Daniel in Nashville

Welcome to ADDForums, Daniel!

Remember, we here at ADDForums can only do so much. It's up to us as individuals to make the right choices, to seek professional help outside the forums.
Old 02-14-08, 12:03 PM

NonSequitur is a jewel in the roughNonSequitur is a jewel in the roughNonSequitur is a jewel in the rough

Welcome Daniel!

Definitely ask your doctor about a combination of meds. Different meds work in different ways, and sometimes it takes more than one to get the effects you want.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-08, 01:19 AM
Banned

Matt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really niceMatt S. is just really nice

Welcome to the forums Daniel
Old 02-15-08, 05:06 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Luthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud ofLuthien has much to be proud of

hi Daniel .. welcome

-- the Lay of Leithian. J.R.R. Tolkien

ADD inattentive / dex 60 mg/d

Old 02-15-08, 11:59 PM

Skully has a spectacular aura aboutSkully has a spectacular aura about

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Me: "I love french fries with my hamburgers and also milk shakes but I don't like milk because it makes me sick which reminds me I better get my flu shot before I get the flu which dries out my skin but I use jergens which is greasy like fries."

Dr: let me wash my hands before I increase your Adderall.