ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 05-08-10, 10:54 AM

Calm & focused has a spectacular aura aboutCalm & focused has a spectacular aura about
Best Med for Inattentive ADD?

I figured this would be dealt with a number of other threads so i did a search within the inattentive forum and couldn't track down anything (though i may not be awesome at using the "advanced search" feature).

Anywhooo...

Question is self-explanatory...does the fact that you're "inattentive" as opposed to "hyper-active" change which drug is optimal? Typical wisdom seems to say adderall is "smoother" and more "calming" than equi-potent doses of ritalin or concerta and that the latter feel more "speedy." For those of us who are more foggy than hyper, does ritalin actually work better?

I've used adderall a LOT, but only tried ritalin once (during the same week i first tried adderall) and thought the ritalin was too "edgy" and that adderall put me in "the zone." But now that i regularly take addy (prescribed 20mg XR twice/day), the "zone" feeling isn't there so much and i'm wondering if ritalin would be more effective after a few days of adjustment to it?

Thoughts??
Old 05-09-10, 03:22 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,589 Times in 1,215 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best Med for Inattentive ADD?

Treatment is the same.
Old 05-09-10, 11:02 AM
ADDvanced Member

Dannywallnuts will become famous soon enough

All of the drugs can affect everyone differently or there would be a universal medication.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-10, 11:37 AM

LaaLaa is on a distinguished road

I've been taking ritalin for about five weeks now. My first couple of days on ritalin were a marvel and the rest of the time it's been a struggle finding the right dose, fighting the side effects (mostly as it wears off), etc. I'll probably try a different stim next week. I don't think anyone, even NTs, necessarily live in the "zone", I wish I could figure out how to get there and stay there myself. You just have to determine whether it improves your symptoms and whether the side effects are worth that improvement.
Old 05-09-10, 12:34 PM
Contributor

weareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really nice

Top tip: take different meds while using "advanced search".

If you get it to work properly, you are on the right one.

No charge.
InnSaei (04-30-17)
Old 05-09-10, 01:44 PM
ADDvanced Member

Coy Cutiee has disabled reputation

It might be less edgy after your body gets use to it, but your body and mind are different from others.
Its really a matter of what your body needs (to balance out somewhat even), can handle, how it adjusts, and works with the meds. Over time your body may become too use to your current dosage and need a boost.
Im going to talk to my doctor about something similar to this over my own meds, when I see her this month. So your not alone

Last edited by Coy Cutiee; 05-09-10 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: wrong word X.x
The Following User Says Thank You to Coy Cutiee For This Useful Post:
Dannywallnuts (05-09-10)
Old 05-09-10, 02:26 PM

Thanked 2,096 Times in 1,196 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

The best med is the one you feel the best on with the right dose.
It takes trial and error to figure it out.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, Agoraphobia, paranoia.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
The Following User Says Thank You to StoicNate For This Useful Post:
Dannywallnuts (05-09-10)
Old 05-09-10, 05:47 PM

kamk2k8 is on a distinguished road

Adderall IR, make sure you get Shire, there is a big difference, Adderall IR is the only med that has helped, and it has helped a lot, Teva and Mallincockdt are awful, Barr is ok but too fast acting, but Shire's formulation is perfect, I can take 1/2 the dose and have better results than with any of the generics, it sounds crazy, i know, but trust me, it's worth paying the extra $ for.
Old 05-10-10, 04:04 AM
Jr Member

Derp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaaLaa View Post
I've been taking ritalin for about five weeks now. My first couple of days on ritalin were a marvel and the rest of the time it's been a struggle finding the right dose, fighting the side effects (mostly as it wears off), etc. I'll probably try a different stim next week. I don't think anyone, even NTs, necessarily live in the "zone", I wish I could figure out how to get there and stay there myself. You just have to determine whether it improves your symptoms and whether the side effects are worth that improvement.
Me too, about 5 weeks. I find if I have 1/2 a tab (5mg) it's gets me up and about doing things, but I crash badly after 3 hours. 10mg makes me edgy, but very productive, seems to last 4-5 hours without a big crash.. ATM i'm taking 10mg every 4 hours, 3 tabs for the whole day. Might go to 10, 5 and 5 and see how it goes, as after the 3rd tab I think it gets a bit much...
Old 05-10-10, 04:31 AM
Jr Member

NullChamber is on a distinguished road

this might help ya out.

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Best-T...ADD&id=3750492
Old 05-11-10, 03:59 AM

LaaLaa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Me too, about 5 weeks. I find if I have 1/2 a tab (5mg) it's gets me up and about doing things, but I crash badly after 3 hours. 10mg makes me edgy, but very productive, seems to last 4-5 hours without a big crash.. ATM i'm taking 10mg every 4 hours, 3 tabs for the whole day. Might go to 10, 5 and 5 and see how it goes, as after the 3rd tab I think it gets a bit much...
Sounds like you're playing the same game as me. I've been trying between 5mg and 10mg to start the day, and maybe 5mg or 10mg a few hours later. I definitely can't take 20x3. Tried that - felt great the first day, then angry angry angry the next two days. Not dangerous angry, more like a weird sort of clinically self-observant anger. Not a nice feeling anyway. So back to 5mg after that little anger-spree. None of it makes a huge difference other than making me get something started, if I'm actuallly in that magical moment somewhere between being a lump and being jittery. I'm hoping another stim will work better, but not quite as excited as before. I'm definitely going with the start low titrate slow crowd on this one though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullChamber View Post
Interesting article - thanks.
Old 05-12-10, 01:02 PM

Calm & focused has a spectacular aura aboutCalm & focused has a spectacular aura about

So from what you guys have relayed, ritalin/concerta has a much more intense "edgyness" to it and you build a quick tolerance just as with adderall?
Old 05-12-10, 05:11 PM

Thanked 1,622 Times in 803 Posts
Michiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm taking dexedrine and strattera, and so far so good. I would be taking wellbrutrin, instead of strattera but I'm allergic to it.
Old 05-14-10, 09:22 AM

complikated has a little shameless behaviour in the past

How long have you been on Strattera?
Old 05-14-10, 03:12 PM

kamk2k8 is on a distinguished road

Wow 5 mg> I'm on 80 and the psychs I have been to don't even really question it, but ****, it's the only thing that helps...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kamk2k8 For This Useful Post:
kwalk (11-28-18), Prickel (02-10-17)