ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-18, 11:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,185 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute
Lifestyle changes. Doing vs theorising (Ketosis)

There's been many posts on here over the years on the ADHD brain and it's response to lifestyle.

Many theories. I agree with a lot. The one I want to discuss is the ketogenic theory as an optimal lifestyle for someone with ADHD.

With this thread I am writing it on the premise that you already understand the role of ketosis in managing ADHD and subscribe to that lifestyle.

So

The question is HOW???

HOW do you go from theorising to doing.

WHAT do you eat?

There's a lot of Don't do this Don't do that. But How can an ADHD person Do this right

If we can get from the theorising to the doing we can maybe achieve something.

So as a start for those who are in ketosis, what did you eat today?
Old 09-26-18, 03:29 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,408 Times in 15,013 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lifestyle changes. Doing vs theorising (Ketosis)

I actually am slowly moving towards Ketosis. I cut out most carbs about 13 days ago and found out about the "keto" flu. I felt like I was withdrawing from alcohol again. Sweats, shakes, fatigue, moody and grumpy and this weird headache. And starving. I felt like I would never be able to eat enough protein to quench that hunger. And just like that after two days it was gone! I am still fine tuning it because I feel awesome. Energy, not starving etc. ( I had gastric bypass in 09 so this isnt primarily a weight loss issue for me). I only have about 15-20lbs in total to lose but I could see that I was eating too much starchy carby stuff. Breads, pastas, waffles, cereal. Post gastric bypass that isnt even good for you anyway. I lost 127lbs and only put about 15 back on but its only one step away from ruining the progress.

The biggest reason is how I feel. I Seriously feel so much better without the high impact, refined carbs. I am still fine tuning it though for weight loss purposes. Like I have been having too many almonds- I did find lo carb PB though. I have Atikins bars but I need to understand the difference between carbs and net carbs because both are marked on the box. I found carb-smart ice cream but I am thinking even that should get cut out for ketosis purposes. Sorry for the long winded post but that is where I am right now.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
CharlesH (09-26-18), tudorose (09-26-18)
Old 09-26-18, 08:23 AM
Forum Guru

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of

I’m atkins but I’m ketosis.
Breakfast:eggs and sausage, Powerade Zero
Snack: banana premier protein shake, carrots in ranch dip
Lunch: Colby jack cheese sticks, hard salami, diet Mountain Dew
Snack: mocha latte Atkins shake, cheese stick
Dinner: two hotdogs with melted cheese, sugar free ketchup, broccoli and cheese
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (09-30-18), tudorose (09-30-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-18, 09:44 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

I haven't tried it, but I've been intrigued by it for quite a while. In your experience, does it have to be a total break from carbs? Do fruits/vegetables count, or is it just starches and refined sugars? What about nuts/beans?
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
peripatetic (09-26-18)
Old 09-26-18, 12:07 PM

Thanked 34,062 Times in 15,423 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I did find lo carb PB though
is that peanut butter? does that count as a carbohydrate?
Old 09-26-18, 03:24 PM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
is that peanut butter? does that count as a carbohydrate?
Yes its peanut butter. it has 6 or 7 grams of carbs per TBS. I think its very good but its like a learning curb- I am trying to balance the benefits of low carb- (which has truly surprised me as far as feeling better over all), eating frequently enough because of gastic bypass, eating more veggies and keeping the carbs low enough for possible slow weight loss but not too many that it would interfere with it. All I really need to work on is my thinking. If I feel snacky- I just do not have snacks I like or foods of convenience. Knowing that i have to get up and hardboil the eggs, make the lettuce wraps and the tuna,etc is helping me to separate feeling hungry and just wanting to eat. Before this I know my eating was ok as far as amount and calories but the high carbs were just not good for me and I could feel it. I am concerned because I have been having hip pain which is making walking painful and running near impossible. AND something is up with my shoulder on the same arm I had surgery. I have a physical scheduled for the 3rd and I see a neuro/pain management doctor on that day too. I hope I can manage all this while getting school in place.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 09-30-18, 09:24 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,971 Times in 2,043 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

I'm not keto, I'm just lower carb.

I tried to do lower than I am doing now initially but I just couldn't keep it up.

It's the social part of eating that gets me. Going out with other people, I can't resist eating the free bread or getting the most delicious meal there regardless of carb level.

That said, I don't drink coke or any other sodas any more. and I try to get lower carb foods when at the grocery though I don't try to fight some treat I want.

Even with just that, I went from pre-diabetic to normal again. and I went from slightly overweight to normal.

So I like you idea of taking things slow and building up. Any improvement you make will help.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (09-30-18), tudorose (09-30-18)
Old 09-30-18, 10:59 AM
Mod-A-holic

I need to get new ketone strips. I was using way expired ones (like 10 years old) and I know they are not working. Had some slip ups this weekend and have to get back on track for monday.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
tudorose (09-30-18)