ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Primary & Secondary Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Primary & Secondary Education This forum is for parents to discuss issues related to their children's education and AD/HD.

Old 09-15-17, 01:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,512 Times in 10,866 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I feel like there is no school for my child

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
are you sure?
When I google eden institute the very first hit looks like this:
I copied and pasted right from the search results.
Eden Autism Services a resource for information training & support
edenautism.org/
Eden Autism Services expertise includes early intervention, pre-K through 21 education, adult residential & employment programs, support & training.
There were several links that looked somewhat different, but none of them look
like what you're sharing.

It's not so important for my family, but I belong to a couple of facebook groups
for people with autism and their families. I'd like to be able able to share this
with them if possible. I know you're busy and distracted right now, but I'd
appreciate a PM with the link when you have a minute. Thanks.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 09-15-17, 01:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,512 Times in 10,866 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
I assumed it was both ADHD and ASD because of the comment that they were thinking about medicating him with Concerta. Is concerta used for ASD?
Yes, stimulants can reduce hyperactive behaviors in some kids with ASD.
I don't think it's usually the first treatment that doctors recommend, that is
usually something to help mitigate the anxiety.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 09-18-17, 08:34 AM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainingblue View Post
Was this considered like an integrated class? Our district never had one but I heard that this year they finally created one in 1 of the 5 schools in our district for 1st grade. However last year during our CSE meeting they said my son would not qualify for this class because he does not have any problems with his academics, so they once again assigned him with a full time aide. I'm not sure if that is a valid reason. Didn't really sound like it to me. But maybe it is something I can push for if it looks like Montessori is not a good fit for him. Can we request to not have an aide, even if they say it is a must?

Since public school has their curriculum for each grade level, how would it work if my son tests higher. I don't want him to skip grades because emotionally he is not mature enough. But I feel like with the "curriculum" they can't give him more either. If something is specified on his IEP, would they then be required to do so?

TIA!
In the co-taught classes there are IEP kids and mainstream kids that maybe don't do very well in that particular subject. It is coded just like a "normal" class.

I think an argument could be made that your son needs a more literal teaching method, which the co-taught classes would provide.

You can refuse the aide, or any service being offered, however, if it were me I would have the aide hang in the back of the class and only come forward if the child wanted him/her to. That would make the aide less of a problem for the child in feeling singled out.

Emotionally mature....I'm not going to say it's not an issue. But IF your son really is advanced leaving him with kids 1-5 grades below him is only going to make him frustrated and angry. He needs to be challenged. I doubt these kids that blow through the school system are equally matched with their maturity level. Heck, my son is in 10th grade and I think he should be in about 6th grade, but he still advanced. It's kind of like a prescription side effect, in my opinion. The school has to decide if the medicine (skipping grades) is more beneficial than the side affects (maturity level) are harmful. The last thing you want to do is stunt his intellectual growth.
Sponsored Links